Xoom!

Search This thread

Jul 20, 2010
Mechanicsburg
I recently learned that I would be a getting a xoom for graduation,Now I has me a thunderbolt So Would just pulling the sim out and plugging it in make the xoom go xoom or should I go the cheaper wifi only route and tether?, How is data leakage, I'm reluctant to pay a plan for it as I doubt I will be out of range of wifi and my phone most times?, and a final question How is battery life?, sorry If i'm rambling its like 3 in the morning.

wang1404

Aug 11, 2010
Pensacola, Fl
I recently learned that I would be a getting a xoom for graduation,Now I has me a thunderbolt So Would just pulling the sim out and plugging it in make the xoom go xoom or should I go the cheaper wifi only route and tether?, How is data leakage, I'm reluctant to pay a plan for it as I doubt I will be out of range of wifi and my phone most times?, and a final question How is battery life?, sorry If i'm rambling its like 3 in the morning.

Just get the wifi version cuz really there's no use for the 4g slot for the thing yet. Plus you've got your thunderboltt. Just do hotspot, though that drains the hell of battery out of your phone. Xoom battery is impressive. 2 days with medium to heavy use on one charge. And heavy use doesn't mean playing dungeon defenders for hours nonstopping.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA Premium App

supremecream06

Mar 1, 2009
well i answer in random order. my battery power has been great. i get 10% an hour. and that's with heavy use of the browser, sometimes games, or whatever. so if you do the math, at 100% i get between 9 to 10 + hours on a full charge, which is great. i have manage to go 3 days without a charge, but of course not with heavy use.

as for the xoom you will get or should get. i would say get the wifi version. that's my device of choice. and i side with you on the point that both your phone and xoom will not be far from each other. so you can always share your current data plan. i sadly have an WP7 HTC HD7 with is not yet ready to share, but with time we'll ge there. now if you are getting it as a gift and the person don't mind the extra $200, then it won;t hurt to get the 3G version without contract. becasue the contract will run you close to half the cost in 2 years. so you have two choices. get the 3G Xoom without contract for $800, or get the Wifi only for $600 and share your current data.

Note that if you do opt for the 3G xoom, you cannot use another carrier sim card (at this time) like say t-mobile, or at&t. so you best bet will be the wifi, but then again even the 3G can work as a wifi, and in time the 3G will be crack to work with other carriers, cuz this is Linux after all. but the choice is yours. i someone was buying me a gift, and money was not an issue, i would get the best there is, which in this case is the 3G Xoom. plus if you wanna get a few add ons, like case, hdmi cable, keyboard, and like me the up and coming outterbox defender series case for my xoom, then the extra $200 can go to better use. so the choice is urs bro, doesn't seem like a hard thing to settle on. i think i cover all the basics.