Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,085 Members 43,968 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DEV] Fixing/Updating the HD2 kernel and missing code

Tip us?

charnsingh_online
Old
(Last edited by noellenchris; 26th May 2011 at 11:02 PM.) Reason: Took the word "bugs" out of title :P
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 855

DONATE TO ME
Cool [DEV] Fixing/Updating the HD2 kernel and missing code

Please stay ON TOPIC to kernel DEV and missing code. Don't report every bug the Android build your using is having or it will be deleted as OFF TOPIC

As you all might be knowing that hd2 is pretty much a android native device now. Its just like any another snapdragon device. The current kernel code we are using in HD2 is pretty obsolete and missing a lot of things. It more like something working at its minimal efficiency. While i was porting over all the HD2 board files getting it on par with the other snapdragon devices I found out a lot of code was missing and some was obsolete. Eg. The gsensor code from microp was pretty minimal, a lot of things were missing in microp code. I suspect that it isnt the only code, a lot of bluetooth related stuff was missing and much more. I am not really gonna work on backporting the stuff to .32 kernel so i would like the kernel devs here to backport the stuff to the .32 kernel so a lot of bugs can be fixed and stuff can be made more stable until the .37 kernel is ready. All the commits can be found here

https://github.com/charansingh/cm-kernel/tree/master

There might be some bravo or passion instances in there cuz i am comparing the code with these two devices and taking what is necessary and sometimes i have to leave my work due to some other work and forget which file i was working on so would appreciate the more bugs.

Also Mods can we get this a sticky so we can track the progress here
HTC One Developer Edition - InsertCoin
Samsung Galaxy Note -II - Stock
HTC One X White - Stock
HTC Evo 3D - Sprint
Mytouch4G - Rooted - Stock
HTC MAGIC 32A - Black
HD2 - CM
HTC G1 - CM
follow me on twitter @bhullarcharan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantandroid View Post
I cried when I lerned this phone i got from tmobile didnt have Android. Can sum1 help me get Android on my new G1 and then tel me how to jailbroke it please
The Following 85 Users Say Thank You to charnsingh_online For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

white-energy
Old
Thanks Meter 216
Yap.. i'm not a really pro developer but i suspected those bugs before.. finally a real developer suspected that.. eager to see who's going to help fixing them

"If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?" ~Dogen

imfloflo
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 798

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by charnsingh_online View Post
Also Mods can we get this a sticky so we can track the progress here
Ok sticky for the moment to see if it helps.
Nexus 5 (CM11 Euroskank)
XDA-developers Senior Moderator - Twitter.com ImFloFlo

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to imfloflo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jan-willem3
Old
(Last edited by jan-willem3; 24th April 2011 at 11:27 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 816
@charnsingh_online

I am really happy that you put so much power in this project big respect for that.
The reason for the missing code is because most of the drivers are reversed engineerd from winmo by cotulla. Wich make it possible to make working android parts but they don't work optimal by that. Also we miss some skilled active coders. After cotulla almost everything is created by markinus he did a incredible part big credit to him but looks like he isn't that active anymore..

Current development are mostly little things a guy who sees a little part from that and a little part from that like : you, tytung, darkstone, gauner,letama, the guy from the bluetooth fix.

We probaly don't have so much real kernel programmers because they buy a native linux / android phone.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jan-willem3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

memin1857
Old
(Last edited by memin1857; 25th April 2011 at 05:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 201
The last two major things left with HD2 Android are buggy speakerphone and missing assisted-gps function.

Speakerphone mode is not usable because mic gain does not change when speakerphone is enabled. Info here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4&postcount=22

GPS works but without assistance so most locks take 1 minute instead of like 15 seconds. Info here: (please read all 25 pages)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1008252
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to memin1857 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lizzo
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by memin1857 View Post
The last two major things left with HD2 Android are buggy speakerphone and missing assisted-gps function.

Speakerphone mode is not usable because mic gain does not change when speakerphone is enabled. Info here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4&postcount=22

GPS works but without assistance so most locks take 1 minute instead of like 15 seconds. Info here: (please read all 25 pages)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1008252
actually i think the gpu drivers are kinda unstable when comparing to the performance of other phones that carry the similar gpu...
Why sleep when there's modding to be done!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lizzo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tytung
Old
Thanks Meter 15056
@charnsingh_online

Good start.
After reading the github commits, I still don't understand what kernel devs can do so far.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tytung For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

charnsingh_online
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 855

DONATE TO ME
Just see the microp stuff I added to the file. Also I have updated the board files. See wats the difference between the files. A lot of updated code
HTC One Developer Edition - InsertCoin
Samsung Galaxy Note -II - Stock
HTC One X White - Stock
HTC Evo 3D - Sprint
Mytouch4G - Rooted - Stock
HTC MAGIC 32A - Black
HD2 - CM
HTC G1 - CM
follow me on twitter @bhullarcharan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantandroid View Post
I cried when I lerned this phone i got from tmobile didnt have Android. Can sum1 help me get Android on my new G1 and then tel me how to jailbroke it please
The Following User Says Thank You to charnsingh_online For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

trilu
Old
Thanks Meter 110

DONATE TO ME
hi charansingh,

i am willing to help, but i think it would be helpfull to define packets to take over.
By looking in the kernelsources it looks good to me, but i know from own expiriences with porting that i have to look deep...

best regards

trilu

tytung
Old
(Last edited by tytung; 25th April 2011 at 06:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 15056
Quote:
Originally Posted by charnsingh_online View Post
Just see the microp stuff I added to the file. Also I have updated the board files. See wats the difference between the files. A lot of updated code
It's better to start/clone from pure CM 2.6.37 kernel, then add new commits when adding any new functions.

Would you please add a new commit when adding a new function?
Otherwise, it's very easy to lost the way in the source code.

A commit "Update some board files" doesn't tell the whole story. I want to know why to change.
Comparing the source code manually and guessing its function is not convenient for any kernel devs.
For me, I won't add any code in my 2.6.32 kernel until I know the meaning of the changes of the source code.
Thanks.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tytung For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]