Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,000 Members 38,716 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

3G fix for Thunderbolt

Tip us?

wakestrong
Old
(Last edited by wakestrong; 28th April 2011 at 12:55 PM.) Reason: wrote instructions wrong, as mentioned its enable not eHRPD
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default 3G fix for Thunderbolt

LTE is back online, please follow steps at the bottom of this post to get everything back in order.
*If you are in a 4G area it is advisable to make sure you switch to eHRPD to avoid bad hand offs between 4G and 3G as well as allowing simultaneous voice without hiccups. I noticed my GPS was not working last night so it is possible eHRPD settings will affect your gps or it could have just been due to the network issues.

As most are aware both the LTE network and eHPRD are down (a special version of 3G for the Thunderbolt only). To get 3G data back you just need to change your settings back to the normal 3G network. Here are the steps:

Dial ##778# and hit send
  • A pop-up window named EPST will show up giving you 2 choices: View Mode and Edit Mode. Pick: Edit Mode.
  • Enter the Password: 000000
  • Go down to Modem Settings and pick “Rev A“
  • You’ll want to choose enable and click OK, hit the menu button and then press “Commit Modifications.”
  • Restart your phone and you should see 3G is working

last step (may not be necessary)

dial *#*#4636#*#* go to phone info, then set preferred network type to CDMA auto (PRL)

I hope this helps anyone that is left in the dark by this outage.

If you are running a non-stock dialer or a rom that included a dialer it may prevent you from entering settings. Flash this zip to go back to stock dialer
http://www.mediafire.com/?9yf09ri4t2mip4z

For those that want instructions for after LTE is back on

These 2 steps will put you back on LTE and then put you back on the correct 3G for the Thunderbolt, when its back up.

dial *#*#4636#*#* to get LTE, go to phone info, set preferred network type to CDMA + LTE EvDo auto

Dial ##778# and hit send
  • A pop-up window named EPST will show up giving you 2 choices: View Mode and Edit Mode. Pick: Edit Mode.
  • You’ll want to choose eHRPD and click OK, hit the menu button and then press “Commit Modifications.”
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to wakestrong For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

taypotts
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestrong View Post
As most are aware both the LTE network and eHPRD are down (a special version of 3G for the Thunderbolt only). To get 3G data back you just need to change your settings back to the normal 3G network. Here are the steps:

Dial ##778# and hit send
  • You’ll want to choose eHRPD and click OK, hit the menu button and then press “Commit Modifications.”

Isn't this selected by default? I changed it to "enabled" let it reboot, and 3G is back on.

wakestrong
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
By default we are setup for the eHPRD 3G network on the Thunderbolt because it allows faster switching between 4G and 3G. Since both network features are down you have to switch your settings to the 3G network used by all other Verizon phones.

nkd
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:

Dial ##778# and hit send

eHRPD is the new 3g in thunderbolt I believe you need to select enable.

taypotts
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
By default we are setup for the eHPRD 3G network on the Thunderbolt because it allows faster switching between 4G and 3G. Since both network features are down you have to switch your settings to the 3G network used by all other Verizon phones.
so select enabled then correct?

nkd
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
yea but in your instructions you said select eHPRD, which is already selected.
The Following User Says Thank You to nkd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wakestrong
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Yes enable, sorry I was too fast in typing out my instructions and goofed

nkd
Old
(Last edited by nkd; 27th April 2011 at 09:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 38
one more step guys, if you are on auto cdma/lte settings, you might have to go in to

*#*#4636#*#* and select phone info and then select EVDO only to get 3g under preffered network settings.

It would be nice if you could add this to OP wakestrong. I think people in 4g area have cdma/lte auto option enabled so in the phone settings the phone is still trying to pick up the older cdma.

Nate14
Old
Thanks Meter 106
So this has worked for everyone? I tried this earlier with no luck and just did it again with no luck either :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenulator View Post
We > HTC
Device: iPhone 5s
Rom:

Droid_ALM2ND
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate14 View Post
So this has worked for everyone? I tried this earlier with no luck and just did it again with no luck either :/
No luck for me either. Im good tho. Im home and will be off and home tomorrow so I'll just use wifi until they fix it.
OnePlus One 64GB: CM11S rooted
HTC One M8 32GB + 128GB SDcard: ARHD 10.2 rooted
Nokia Lumia Icon: Windows 8.1 on VZW
LG G Pad GPe 16GB + 64GB SDcard: Stock rooted