[How to] Restore a semi-bricked Epic or any software issue. Restores BML from MTD too

Search This thread

dyehya

Jan 31, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
PLEASE READ THIS FULL POST BEFORE FLASHING
I continue to put a lot of effort into making this post to help YOU so please help YOURSELF by reading it all!

If this solves your problem please consider donating as I continue to put a lot of effort into keeping this current and up-to-date! Thank you!

These instructions should fix your semi-bricked or broken phone as long as you can get it into download mode. Make sure you have drivers already installed on your Windows computer before starting.

A NON-STOCK microUSB CABLE IS REQUIRED AS STOCK FAILS THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME

If you need drivers or the ones you have don't work you can use these:
32-bit drivers 64-bit drivers

Things you will need to restore your phone are below.
BY PERFORMING THESE STEPS ALL DATA ON YOUR PHONE WILL BE WIPED AND IT WILL BE RESTORED TO FACTORY STATE. I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY IF THIS DAMAGES YOUR PHONE OR DOESN'T FIX IT. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK
A Windows Machine is required for using Odin. If you don't have a Windows machine see second post.
Download and use this version of Odin: Odin 1.85 and pit file Thanks to iNsAn|tY for hosting1

Download this tar: SPH-D700-EL30-8Gb-REL.tar.md5 Provided by K0nane
Mirror 2 Provided by iNsAn|tY
or
SPH-D700-FC09-8Gb-REL.tar hosted by kennyg123
MD5 sum:6426b89638df4e3dcf6e19b8f79cdcf0

Set up the software:
Extract the Odin3 v1.85.zip
Run odin3 v1.85.exe
Make sure the following boxes are checked (they should already be checked):
Re-Partiton, Auto-reboot, F. Reset Time
Click PIT and select the victory_8G_100528.pit that you extracted from the Odin zip.
Click PDA and select SPH-D700-EL30-8Gb-REL.tar.md5

Put your phone in Download Mode:
Make sure the USB cord is unplugged
Remove the battery and microSD card
Plug the phone into Computer (the phone may display a battery on the display this is normal just ignore it and go to the next step)
Hold down the "1" key and the power button.
The phone should now be displaying a Yellow Triangle with Downloading... (see end of post for image of download mode)

Under ID:COM, the box should turn yellow and contain the com port. If it doesn't see Troubleshooting at the end.
Odin should now look like this (screenshot shows EB13 but is the same for EL30):
F7s1Xl.jpg

Full-size Image

Now you should be able to click Start.
Your phone should try and auto-reboot when finished.
The phone can't boot normally without the battery but you can safely unplug it from the computer install the battery and turn it on.
You phone should be working 100%!
This has worked on numerous phone that have partition issues, intermittent booting issues, and many other file system issues. This also fixes the Samsung Logo disappearing from boot.

While some people claim that the re-partition and time reset should not be checked, this guide is designed to fix ALL problems. While using Odin on your phone has some inherent risk and is slightly less risky to not re-partition the phone some phones will not be fixed without this and that's why it is included. You can try following the above steps and only checking "reboot" but you may have to reflash and check the boxes in the instructions if you phone still has problems.

Troubleshooting:
Phone not getting in download mode
While holding down 1 and power insert the battery before trying to connect the USB cable​
Odin isn't detecting the phone?!
Try a different USB PORT on the computer.
Normally only the USB port the drivers were installed to and the phone was plugged into when they were installed will work (easily anyway)​
Try a different USB cable
If you are using the stock cable it is almost certainly NOT going to work. You can get a cheap BlackBerry USB cable off of Amazon for a couple bucks and works like a charm.​
Uninstall the drivers, reboot, and reinstall the drivers​
Try Odin v1.61
It seems frozen and hasn't made any progress for 15 minutes
factoryfs.rfs takes awhile but if it stays on that for longer than 15 minutes unplug the phone and start over​
It started flashing but part way through the download mode screen went away and it just shows a color (can be different colors each time)
This means that it got disconnected during the transfer. Try again if that doesn't work try a different USB cable.​
You get a big red failed and tried the above steps.
Before you try to reflash make sure to copy the log that Odin makes in the bottom left hand portion of the screen so we can help you troubleshoot and then post in this thread.​
Still not working?
Try this tar SPH-D700-EC05-8Gb-REL.tar provided by K0nane​

Here is a picture of Download Mode if you aren't sure what it looks like:
Download-Mode.jpeg

This has worked on all phones that were able to get into download mode. If this works for you or if you have issues let me know! You can message me on Irondust formerly Fossnet in #epic my nickname there is Cyc
Click here to chat with me in IRC
Special thanks to K0nane and iNsAn|tY hosting and providing the EL30 tar and Odin.

Even though there are other guides how to do this I wanted something that was a little more concise and easier to follow. If you prefer qbking77 made a How-To Video to restore your phone. He uses different files and such but the end result is hopefully the same so check that out if you prefer or if you are confused and want to see the steps.
Forum Post for other How-ToVideos by qbking77

May need this again but can't remember the URL NO PROBLEM http://tinyurl.com/epicfix directs here!

Attachments

• Samsung_Mobile_Driver_V1.3.800_For_SPH-d700_Epic_4G.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 1,890
Last edited by a moderator:

dyehya

Jan 31, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Heimdall Section for users having trouble with Odin or do not have Windows PC will be added shortly. Below is mordant23's post that I am putting here in the mean time. My post will feature the gui as the main interface and give options for all supported operating systems. Until then thank you mordant23 for allowing me to use this in the opener:

I had to flash back to stock after I switched to Linux. I couldn't find an easy guide. In case this helps someone else, below are the steps I took. If this is useful, could this be added to the original post or would it be better if I start a new thread?

The steps should be adaptable to OS X, but since I don't use OS X I can't really write instructions with confidence. Perhaps someone else can?

Note: Everyone's linux distributions are different. For the instructions I'll use generalized descriptions of steps. The only specific instructions I'll give is for using Heimdall. I am not a linux guru nor am I an Epic 4G expert. The only wisdom I have is 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything else.

The steps are pretty easy. I'll give more detailed explanation afterwards.

0. Download tar and pit files listed in the original post
1. Install Heimdall
2. Understand how Heimdall linux process differs from Odin windows process
3. Boot phone into download mode and connect to computer
4. Push files to phone with Heimdall

Step 0: Download tar and pit files
Pretty simple. Unpack those bad boys. Put them all into one folder nice and cozy neat like. That's right. The pit, modem, and completely unzipped files all in one folder.

Step 1: Heimdall is your friend

There is no Odin without Windows. We must turn to another Norse god, Heimdall to help us out. Heimdall is an open source project to replace Odin. There are ports to Windows and Mac OS X. The Epic 4G is not officially supported but many people have used it with no problem. I personally used linux mint 11 with an almost bricked phone with no problem. Use at your own risk.

Install Heimdall

The latest version at this time is a command line only version 1.2.0. The GUI for previous version 1.1.1 looks easy enough if you want to use them, although according to reports it may not work as well as command line. For the instructions I'll use the command line because I think it makes it easier to understand how to match files up to the different fields.

Since your linux distros are different, I will not go into any specifics on how to install.

Step 2: Understand how Heimdall differs from Odin
Difference 1: Don't need no stinkin' Samsung drivers (unless you're using Heimdall in Windows). "But what about those drivers..." Zip it! You don't need 'em.

Difference 2: Unpack the tarball and unzip the pit. The individual files in the tar, the pit file, and the modem.bin file should all be in one folder. The major difference with Heimdall and Odin is that with Heimdall, you specify how the files match the partitions. In some respects this is easier because if you don't need to repartition, or if you only need to push a particular file, e.g. the modem, you can do that. The trick with the command line is to know which files match the command line switches, e.g. --modem modem.bin, --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs, etc.

Step 3: Boot phone in download mode and connect to computer

Open up keyboard and hold 1 while hitting power.
Connect phone to computer.

Step 4: Push files to phone

Open terminal window in the directory with all the files. Use cd if necessary to get to the folder.

The general structure for the heimdall command is:

Specifically for the SPH-D700-EC05-8gb-REL.tar and victory_8G_100528.pit listed in the original post on this thread:

Capitalization is important. I don't know how many times I messed up because I didn't type Sbl.bin with a capital "S".

If you use the gui, just make sure you specify which files go in which fields. I don't have the gui front end so I have not tested it, but it looks simple enough.

If everything works, then you'll see the progress as heimdell copies everything. If something is not right, then you'll get an error message.

Heimdall reboots the phone when it's done.

Please let me know what you think. Suggestions always welcome.

Sources:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/
http://wmarkito.wordpress.com/2011/02/11/flashing-android-froyo-in-a-galaxy-s-with-ubuntu-and-heimdall/

Last edited:

dyehya

Jan 31, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Important to note this will take a very long time I've been sitting waiting for mine to finish for a while. Been about 30 minutes and still not done.
What is it saying? It shouldn't take that long. Do you see the blue progress bar on your phone?
I was going to mention that it froze once when I was trying to do it and I just unplugged my phone and took out the battery and restarted and it went through.

You can chat with me on Fossnet
http://webirc.fossnet.info/?channels=epic
Just say my name "Cyc" in channel and I will respond.

Last edited:

krisman

Feb 20, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
What is it saying? It shouldn't take that long. Do you see the blue progress bar on your phone?
I was going to mention that it froze once when I was trying to do it and I just unplugged my phone and took out the battery and restarted and it went through.

Yea still has the blue progress bar odin says factoryfs. I actually thought it might be frozen. But i started to ask how long it would take and it jumped forward some more. And now it just finished as I'm typing this. Which it won't boot stuck on the samsung boot screen just keeps vibrating gonna try again.

Reactions: sirkilo

dyehya

Jan 31, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Yea still has the blue progress bar odin says factoryfs. I actually thought it might be frozen. But i started to ask how long it would take and it jumped forward some more. And now it just finished as I'm typing this. Which it won't boot stuck on the samsung boot screen just keeps vibrating gonna try again.
Yeah try again. It takes a few minutes of factoryfs due to it pushing 258MB to the phone but shouldn't have taken 30 minutes.
Now this can't fix your phone if it has hardware problems but should fix everything else. Let me know how it goes. My problem with it freezing was before it started push stuff to the phone.

The only other thing I could think of and didn't even question was your computer using a USB 2.0 port. That's the only reason I could see it taking so long to transfer data to the phone if it was Using usb 1.0 or 1.1

Last edited:

krisman

Feb 20, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Finally gave up on eb13 after redownloading the tarball and still not getting anything. Tried a di18 tar and it worked first try. Trying to odin from there to eb13 seems to be slow flash and then not working right still.

dyehya

Jan 31, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Finally gave up on eb13 after redownloading the tarball and still not getting anything. Tried a di18 tar and it worked first try. Trying to odin from there to eb13 seems to be slow flash and then not working right still.
IF DI18 works you can let it OTA update to EC05 the same way EB13 would. I used EB13 because there is no OFFICIAL EC05 tar available presently but any of the full tars should work. Any reason you are trying to tar to EB13 in particular if you got DI18 working?

I don't remember where I downloaded EB13 from I just looked for a link when I was posting this How-To. You might want to try finding an EB13 tar from another source and see if that resolves the issue or redownload the EB13 tar. My EB13 tar has an md5 of b9b14611dcde5fbe586fdc242315b92b and I know it works on my Epic. You can use HashCalc or some other program to calculate the EB13 hash.

Reactions: chzeckmate

dyehya

Jan 31, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Yeah I am going ask impaler to move it for me b/c I didn't mean to post it in dev just had a few too many windows going when I was putting it together. Thanks for the video link I'll add to OP with credit of course :)

chris41g

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 10, 2009
This will also bring back your samsung logo if you repaired your epic after a visionkernel brick but lost the samsung logo..

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

djgallis

Mar 18, 2011
pROV CITY RI
@DYEHYA

IM having my first issue with my epic .. SEMI BRICK ... i see in ur picture of ODIN n description u have everything checked but from video n past ODIN tries ive only had reboot checked is this only for semi bricked or should i do what i know worked from previous odin use and that is only keep the auto reboot checked ....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE READ THIS FULL POST BEFORE FLASHING
    I continue to put a lot of effort into making this post to help YOU so please help YOURSELF by reading it all!

If this solves your problem please consider donating as I continue to put a lot of effort into keeping this current and up-to-date! Thank you!

These instructions should fix your semi-bricked or broken phone as long as you can get it into download mode. Make sure you have drivers already installed on your Windows computer before starting.

A NON-STOCK microUSB CABLE IS REQUIRED AS STOCK FAILS THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME

If you need drivers or the ones you have don't work you can use these:
    32-bit drivers 64-bit drivers

Things you will need to restore your phone are below.
    BY PERFORMING THESE STEPS ALL DATA ON YOUR PHONE WILL BE WIPED AND IT WILL BE RESTORED TO FACTORY STATE. I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY IF THIS DAMAGES YOUR PHONE OR DOESN'T FIX IT. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK
    A Windows Machine is required for using Odin. If you don't have a Windows machine see second post.
    Download and use this version of Odin: Odin 1.85 and pit file Thanks to iNsAn|tY for hosting1

Download this tar: SPH-D700-EL30-8Gb-REL.tar.md5 Provided by K0nane
    Mirror 2 Provided by iNsAn|tY
    or
    SPH-D700-FC09-8Gb-REL.tar hosted by kennyg123
    MD5 sum:6426b89638df4e3dcf6e19b8f79cdcf0

Set up the software:
    Extract the Odin3 v1.85.zip
    Run odin3 v1.85.exe
    Make sure the following boxes are checked (they should already be checked):
    Re-Partiton, Auto-reboot, F. Reset Time
    Click PIT and select the victory_8G_100528.pit that you extracted from the Odin zip.
    Click PDA and select SPH-D700-EL30-8Gb-REL.tar.md5

Put your phone in Download Mode:
    Make sure the USB cord is unplugged
    Remove the battery and microSD card
    Plug the phone into Computer (the phone may display a battery on the display this is normal just ignore it and go to the next step)
    Hold down the "1" key and the power button.
    The phone should now be displaying a Yellow Triangle with Downloading... (see end of post for image of download mode)

Under ID:COM, the box should turn yellow and contain the com port. If it doesn't see Troubleshooting at the end.
    Odin should now look like this (screenshot shows EB13 but is the same for EL30):
    F7s1Xl.jpg

Full-size Image

Now you should be able to click Start.
    Your phone should try and auto-reboot when finished.
    The phone can't boot normally without the battery but you can safely unplug it from the computer install the battery and turn it on.
    You phone should be working 100%!
    This has worked on numerous phone that have partition issues, intermittent booting issues, and many other file system issues. This also fixes the Samsung Logo disappearing from boot.

While some people claim that the re-partition and time reset should not be checked, this guide is designed to fix ALL problems. While using Odin on your phone has some inherent risk and is slightly less risky to not re-partition the phone some phones will not be fixed without this and that's why it is included. You can try following the above steps and only checking "reboot" but you may have to reflash and check the boxes in the instructions if you phone still has problems.

Troubleshooting:
    Phone not getting in download mode
    While holding down 1 and power insert the battery before trying to connect the USB cable​
    Odin isn't detecting the phone?!
    Try a different USB PORT on the computer.
    Normally only the USB port the drivers were installed to and the phone was plugged into when they were installed will work (easily anyway)​
    Try a different USB cable
    If you are using the stock cable it is almost certainly NOT going to work. You can get a cheap BlackBerry USB cable off of Amazon for a couple bucks and works like a charm.​
    Uninstall the drivers, reboot, and reinstall the drivers​
    Try Odin v1.61
    It seems frozen and hasn't made any progress for 15 minutes
    factoryfs.rfs takes awhile but if it stays on that for longer than 15 minutes unplug the phone and start over​
    It started flashing but part way through the download mode screen went away and it just shows a color (can be different colors each time)
    This means that it got disconnected during the transfer. Try again if that doesn't work try a different USB cable.​
    You get a big red failed and tried the above steps.
    Before you try to reflash make sure to copy the log that Odin makes in the bottom left hand portion of the screen so we can help you troubleshoot and then post in this thread.​
    Still not working?
    Try this tar SPH-D700-EC05-8Gb-REL.tar provided by K0nane​

Here is a picture of Download Mode if you aren't sure what it looks like:
    Download-Mode.jpeg

This has worked on all phones that were able to get into download mode. If this works for you or if you have issues let me know! You can message me on Irondust formerly Fossnet in #epic my nickname there is Cyc
    Click here to chat with me in IRC
    Special thanks to K0nane and iNsAn|tY hosting and providing the EL30 tar and Odin.

Even though there are other guides how to do this I wanted something that was a little more concise and easier to follow. If you prefer qbking77 made a How-To Video to restore your phone. He uses different files and such but the end result is hopefully the same so check that out if you prefer or if you are confused and want to see the steps.
    Forum Post for other How-ToVideos by qbking77

May need this again but can't remember the URL NO PROBLEM http://tinyurl.com/epicfix directs here!
    Heimdall Section for users having trouble with Odin or do not have Windows PC will be added shortly. Below is mordant23's post that I am putting here in the mean time. My post will feature the gui as the main interface and give options for all supported operating systems. Until then thank you mordant23 for allowing me to use this in the opener:

I had to flash back to stock after I switched to Linux. I couldn't find an easy guide. In case this helps someone else, below are the steps I took. If this is useful, could this be added to the original post or would it be better if I start a new thread?

The steps should be adaptable to OS X, but since I don't use OS X I can't really write instructions with confidence. Perhaps someone else can?

Note: Everyone's linux distributions are different. For the instructions I'll use generalized descriptions of steps. The only specific instructions I'll give is for using Heimdall. I am not a linux guru nor am I an Epic 4G expert. The only wisdom I have is 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything else.

1. Install Heimdall

Pretty simple. Unpack those bad boys. Put them all into one folder nice and cozy neat like. That's right. The pit, modem, and completely unzipped files all in one folder.

There is no Odin without Windows. We must turn to another Norse god, Heimdall to help us out. Heimdall is an open source project to replace Odin. There are ports to Windows and Mac OS X. The Epic 4G is not officially supported but many people have used it with no problem. I personally used linux mint 11 with an almost bricked phone with no problem. Use at your own risk.

Install Heimdall

The latest version at this time is a command line only version 1.2.0. The GUI for previous version 1.1.1 looks easy enough if you want to use them, although according to reports it may not work as well as command line. For the instructions I'll use the command line because I think it makes it easier to understand how to match files up to the different fields.

Since your linux distros are different, I will not go into any specifics on how to install.

Difference 1: Don't need no stinkin' Samsung drivers (unless you're using Heimdall in Windows). "But what about those drivers..." Zip it! You don't need 'em.

Difference 2: Unpack the tarball and unzip the pit. The individual files in the tar, the pit file, and the modem.bin file should all be in one folder. The major difference with Heimdall and Odin is that with Heimdall, you specify how the files match the partitions. In some respects this is easier because if you don't need to repartition, or if you only need to push a particular file, e.g. the modem, you can do that. The trick with the command line is to know which files match the command line switches, e.g. --modem modem.bin, --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs, etc.

Open terminal window in the directory with all the files. Use cd if necessary to get to the folder.

Specifically for the SPH-D700-EC05-8gb-REL.tar and victory_8G_100528.pit listed in the original post on this thread:

Capitalization is important. I don't know how many times I messed up because I didn't type Sbl.bin with a capital "S".

If you use the gui, just make sure you specify which files go in which fields. I don't have the gui front end so I have not tested it, but it looks simple enough.

If everything works, then you'll see the progress as heimdell copies everything. If something is not right, then you'll get an error message.

Sources:
    http://wmarkito.wordpress.com/2011/02/11/flashing-android-froyo-in-a-galaxy-s-with-ubuntu-and-heimdall/
    Important to note this will take a very long time I've been sitting waiting for mine to finish for a while. Been about 30 minutes and still not done.

You can chat with me on Fossnet
    http://webirc.fossnet.info/?channels=epic
    Just say my name "Cyc" in channel and I will respond.
    Linux

1. Install Heimdall

Install Heimdall

heimdall flash --repartition --pit <filename> --<partition identifier> <filename> ....

heimdall flash --repartition --pit victory_8G_100528.pit --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --cache cache.rfs --primary-boot boot.bin --secondary-boot Sbl.bin --param param.lfs --kernel zImage --modem modem.bin --data datafs.rfs --recovery recovery.bin

Sources:
    Yeah try again. It takes a few minutes of factoryfs due to it pushing 258MB to the phone but shouldn't have taken 30 minutes.
    Now this can't fix your phone if it has hardware problems but should fix everything else. Let me know how it goes. My problem with it freezing was before it started push stuff to the phone.

The only other thing I could think of and didn't even question was your computer using a USB 2.0 port. That's the only reason I could see it taking so long to transfer data to the phone if it was Using usb 1.0 or 1.1