Google Updates Play Games, Wallet, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive, Google+, and Camera

While we haven’t really had much in the way of … more

Google Execs Talk to Ars About Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is right around the corner, and it’s expected to hit AOSP … more

UX Design in Apps and ROMs w/ Kevin Bruckert – BABBQ2014

This year’s Big Android BBQ has come and gone. While the whole event was … more

Bring Material Design Goodness to Your App with Support Library

At Google I/O 2014, the next iteration of Android was announced and … more

Your thoughts on the unsmooth graphics?

OP amwbt

28th April 2011, 02:35 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17

365 posts
Why is the GUI interface and overall graphics on the Atrix so unsmooth? I'm assuming the cause is the large resolution, and maybe a crappy LCD screen? I'm thinking its more the LCD screen. Since my iPhone 4 has a resolution close to if not the same as the Atrix, and has a PowerVR GPU one model lower than my Samsung Captivate, and its 10x smother than my Atrix. Just don't understand why you would build a phone with so much power and screw it up with an under par LCD screen. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App
28th April 2011, 02:37 AM   |  #2  
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 49

358 posts
More
I believe it's because atrix lacks proper software optimizations which motorola is too lazy to provide.
The Following User Says Thank You to tsouza For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th April 2011, 02:46 AM   |  #3  
Canberra, ACT Australia
Thanks Meter: 10

103 posts
More
Meh.... If you look at quadrant advance - lets assume its accurate and not argue for a sec
The tegra 2 doesnt have the greatest 2D performance - in fact quite low...
28th April 2011, 03:43 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 229

786 posts
More
...what are you talking about? I've never seen any unsmoothness on my Atrix, except in the Gallery app when zooming in on high res photos. Everywhere else, its far smoother than my 3rd gen iPod touch, which itself was no slouch.

That said, I use launcher pro instead of Motoblur, so maybe that has something to do with it.
28th April 2011, 03:57 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 22

452 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotokun

...what are you talking about? I've never seen any unsmoothness on my Atrix, except in the Gallery app when zooming in on high res photos. Everywhere else, its far smoother than my 3rd gen iPod touch, which itself was no slouch.

That said, I use launcher pro instead of Motoblur, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I noticed choppyness with live wallpapers. Also, when i first open the keyboard to type, the first couple of letters don't register so i have to retype that all again.
28th April 2011, 04:04 AM   |  #6  
Flag Barrington, RI
Thanks Meter: 78

627 posts
More
I think... WHYWHYWHYWHYWHY?!

I mean single core phones run smoother wtf =/
the lwp lag really gets me =/
28th April 2011, 04:07 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 4

72 posts
Motoblur...
28th April 2011, 04:19 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 19

227 posts
Froyo doesn't have gpu acceleration for the ui, or so I've been told. It's far worse on other phones. When gingerbread comes out you'll see a significant difference.

28th April 2011, 04:23 AM   |  #9  
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 49

358 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meets34

Motoblur...

Motoblows...
28th April 2011, 04:25 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 2

549 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amwbt

Why is the GUI interface and overall graphics on the Atrix so unsmooth? I'm assuming the cause is the large resolution, and maybe a crappy LCD screen? I'm thinking its more the LCD screen. Since my iPhone 4 has a resolution close to if not the same as the Atrix, and has a PowerVR GPU one model lower than my Samsung Captivate, and its 10x smother than my Atrix. Just don't understand why you would build a phone with so much power and screw it up with an under par LCD screen. What are your thoughts?

I'm coming from Windows Mobile, so everything on Atrix looks smooth to me

But seriously, I think it may be a combination of the GUI not being hardware accelerated and whatever software/widgets you've got running in the background.

It's definitely not butter smooth, but it isn't that bad either.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread