Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,460 Members 40,088 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Microsoft knows where you are.....

Tip us?

samsamuel
Old
(Last edited by samsamuel; 28th April 2011 at 12:04 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1047
Default Microsoft knows where you are.....

So, wp7 also tracks location, just like android and iphone, and it uploads said tracking data to ms servers,....... anyone scared??

theregister. co.uk/2011/04/27/windows_phone_location_tracking/
ViperOneM8 VIPER4Android

O2 UK automated free sim unlock form.

Want to say thanks? Do you buy stuff on eBay? Click HERE to donate to me FOR FREE
The Following User Says Thank You to samsamuel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

argentocruz
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Let me think about that for a minute... No...
My smartphone sojourn continues...
The Following User Says Thank You to argentocruz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

T-Macgnolia
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1883

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamuel View Post
So, wp7 also tracks location, just like android and iphone, and it uploads said tracking data to ms servers,....... anyone scared??

theregister. co.uk/2011/04/27/windows_phone_location_tracking/
It looks like Google, Apply, and Microsoft are all making money off of us just carring our devices around. I want my roralty check please.
New to XDA? Please have a read here and here, they are here to help you.
XDA Search Video
S-off explained
Guide on HTC HD2
4EXT Themes, Splash screens, and Bootanimation By T-Macgnolia
XDA-BLOG Writer
RegawMOD Bootloader Customizer for Sensation

Current daily device= Samsung Galaxy Note 2
ROM=TMOUS Stock Multi Window update not rooted
Other devices=TMOUS HTC Sensation 4G,TMOUS HTC HD2 , Acer Iconia A500

dazza9075
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 442

DONATE TO ME
ah, so they are....so do the credit card companies....and the network carriers oh and you should know the kind of information those wee loyalty cards for supermarkets gather is staggering

I couldnt care less to be honest, the whole point of this is that yes infomation about you is taken and stored on a gigantic scale, but that info on my credit cards, my store cards my carrier usage and my WP7 isnt available to anyone but the servers they reside on.

That is the fundermental difference between MS and Apple.

you steal my phone ill be pissed off, you steal an iphone and potentially someone could find a lot about my movments.

samsamuel
Old
(Last edited by samsamuel; 28th April 2011 at 11:21 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by argentocruz View Post
Let me think about that for a minute... No...
Hehe, no me either, just a conv starter.
On a related note, police have been using the iPhone location list (held on the phone itself, unlike wp7) to tie user to location when investigating crimes, tomtom have sold harvested driving data to Dutch police who have used it to set up speed trap stings, and two women have filed a $50mil suit against Google for harvesting their data.(not gonna fly, of course, but interesting none the less) a few days after a similar suit against apple.

As per above post tho, store cards are the big one, hugely intrusive, many hundreds of terrabytes of info every year.
ViperOneM8 VIPER4Android

O2 UK automated free sim unlock form.

Want to say thanks? Do you buy stuff on eBay? Click HERE to donate to me FOR FREE
aghnokneemoose Old
Thanks Meter
WOW this is crazy information! How are they making money off us carrying their phone around?

Makes me think of that book in 1994 big brother! Only now big brother uses a larger camera with a better zoom! Crazy!

hungry81
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcassetty@comcast.net View Post
WOW this is crazy information! How are they making money off us carrying their phone around?

Makes me think of that book in 1984 big brother! Only now big brother uses a larger camera with a better zoom! Crazy!
fixed.

And they make money by sending adds to your phone. In the future if they know where you are they can send adds from nearby shops to your device. Yup you are paying them to send you spam.

Evo 3D (GSM) HTC root + Stock rom
with unwanted bloatware removed

HTC HD2 (LEO) T8585
WM6.5 Rom:5.2.23149 (Duttys HD2 Family Rom V9 WWE) with SPB MS 3.5.5
Android Rom: American android With Spb shell 3D
Radio: 2.15.50.14

Phone: SE Xperia X1a silver, rom: SEX1-R5.07-PURE 11/26/09, radio:1.14.25.55 OS:WM 6.1 with SPB MS 3.5.5 Battery dead Back to life

CharlesG70
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Default Spam but maybe not

Well if they actually get it right then maybe the ads will be helpful.

If I am in the mall to buy a pair of Jean and I get a link sent to my phone telling me that I can get 15% off at this store and 2 for 1 at that store, well good for me and them.

Also I live a vanilla life so who cares; the only people that are worried are the pervs, cheaters, and such that are afraid of getting caught.
aghnokneemoose Old
Thanks Meter
Now I wouldn't mind that much as long as it was pertinent to my needs and consistent with my location and timing. How are you getting those ads? Texts?

I've been getting a bunch of spam calls and texts here lately and I do not list my cell number anywhere! So it must be from WP7. Am I right? I mean my number is listed in the donotcall.gov

officialbambam
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Wow I didn't know they track android to.