[SD][WIP][DEV]*NookBuntu Beta 0.3* 5/18
####NO LONGER SUPPORTED####
Links have been updated to the last release and are working
The NookBuntu Dev Team
CREDITS: munday for his initial work on this project, penkia for the wifi and touchscreen fixes. The guys who pulled off the vnc trick to get us thinking about how to make this a full fledged linux tablet. All the great developers for the nook and every other device.
I'm not responsible, blah blah blah...if you are trying this...your warranty cherry was popped long ago
Q & A - This area will be updated as questions arise
Q: Why the skip from alpha 0.1 to beta 0.3?
A: Alot of testing and fixes were implemented behind the scenes. These images were not released due to usability issues. We wanted this release to be one that could serve as a daily build. And this comes relatively close.
Q: Will this mess up my current configuration?
A: If your current configuration runs from the eMMC, then no. It runs solely from the uSD card. As long as you don't mount your eMMC inside NookBuntu and start messing around with it, it should be fine.
Q: Is this awesome?
A: Yes, it is so awesome that if I were to speak anymore than a few lines about it's awesomeness, computers would become self aware, sheep would begin counting people, and pong would turn into tetris...
Q: Will this run from the internal memory?
A: This is being planned for a future release and currently only runs from the SD card. DO NOT FLASH IT TO THE eMMC!!!
A NOTE ABOUT DONATIONS - Please read
No we do not ask for donations or accept them. We do this because we are as passionate as anyone in this communtiy about the tech we use.
If you would like to donate, please instead consider donating to the following charity
The National Breast Cancer Foundation - https://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/donate/
My sister was recently diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. I ask that if you do wish to donate, please do so in her honor. If you wish to make a donation in her honor please pm me for details (name and whatnot). Thank you!
NookBuntu Beta 0.3
Boot into NookBuntu when the device is powered on (no adb necessary!)
Network manager - this is still being worked on, use the method listed in the instructions below
On screen keyboard auto slide out on text input area focus
NookBuntu Beta 0.3 - Download
NookBuntu Boot Partition - Download
We will need to make a bootable SD card for this. As of right now I have an 8gb card and will be uploading a burnable image soon...but for now this method will work.
Download this script and save it somewhere you have easy access to.
Ok so you have all the files right? Right?? ...right
Let's get that SD card prep'd for our NookBuntu installation.
1) Open up a terminal and cd to where you saved the file sdmaker.sh
2) Insert your soon to be nookbuntu sd card into your pc and find out where your sd card is mounted i.e. /dev/mmcblk0 or wherever. REMEMBER what it was (for me it is /dev/mmcblk0)
3) Type the following command hitting enter after each line
sudo chmod +x sdmaker.sh
sudo ./sdmaker.sh /dev/yoursdcard
4) Let this command run and finish out, it is formatting your sd card to correctly have a boot and filesystem partitions
5) Once this has finished you should have two new partitions show up, either mounted already at /media/boot and /media/Angstrom or should be able to mount the new partitions in your file manager. If they aren't mounted go ahead and mount them.
Let's regather. You have two folders open on your desktop, one titled "boot" and the other titled "Angstrom". Are you with me? Good.
6) Untar/7zip/Unzip whatever...decompress the file nookbuntu-0.3beta.tgz anywhere you would like.
7) cd to the directory where you extracted the files. There should be a folder titled "system" Go ahead and cd into that directory.
8) Now we need to copy all of the contents to the Angstrom partition on your SD card
This will take awhile, get something to drink.
9) After that has finished lets copy over the boot partition. Go to where you downloaded the file "nookbuntu-boot.7z" and extract it. Now CD to nookbuntu-boot. Are you with me? Let's copy those files over!
10) After that has finished we need to setup your wifi so it will work. So let's edit the one of the files we just put on your sdcard (use whatever text editor you would like:
sudo gedit /media/Angstrom/etc/wifi/w2.conf
In your text editor you will have something like this:
ssid="FBI Surveillance Van 2"
(Yes that is my home wifi...no I dont use that password anywhere else, feel free to use my wifi if you happen to be near me :P )
We need to change a few things to be able to connect to your home wifi (and not mine).
Change the following:
ssid="FBI Surveillance Van 2"
Obviously replace "YourSSID" with whatever your actual SSID is.
Chances are you are using WPA encryption...well if you aren't...you should be. Assuming you are we need to set up so we can send the key to the router when we connect.
See this line?
Change "ericandkayle" to...you guessed it....your WPA password
Save the changes and exit.
11) Unmount the sdcard from your computer
sudo umount /media/boot
sudo umount /media/Angstrom
12) Take the Sd card and put it in your nook while it is powered off.
13) Power on your nook and give it a few mins...voila! NookBuntu should have loaded!
These next steps are for getting wifi up and running you can do this from an ADB shell or from the terminal inside NookBuntu or make it into a script for future use.
Enter these commands (hitting enter after each line unless otherwise noted)
ifconfig tiwlan0 up
wpa_supplicant -Dwext -i tiwlan0 -c /etc/wifi/w2.conf & dhclient
You should shortly be associated to your home network!
Enjoy NookBuntu! Make sure to thank all the great devs who have a hand in this project!