MoboPlayer updated with Tegra 2 support

Search This thread

MitchRapp

Aug 18, 2010
Montreal
yup, works great. Gotta get the codec (but you have no choice, when you open the app it tells you you need it and gives you market link, so you can't miss it!)

gerbick

Aug 7, 2010
This has quickly become my video player of choice; however I'm honestly amazed that it doesn't play *.divx files like VLC does.

jondwillis

Dec 12, 2010
Hmm I just re-downloaded Moboplayer with the codec it recommended from the market and now sound isn't working on anything...

KNK

Apr 26, 2006
Irvine, California, USA
I haven' tried a MKV yet but I will in a few, the market download gave me the same issue with no sound so I uninstalled everything and did a manual codec install from within mobo ... working perfect now :)

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
just tried with a downloaded MKV of a TV show...

Video played, but no audio. VIdeo was a little jerky...

here is the file info per MediaInfo..

Code:
Format                           : Matroska
File size                        : 1.46 GiB
Duration                         : 43mn 15s
Overall bit rate                 : 4 823 Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2008-11-04 19:36:12
Writing application              : mkvmerge v2.4.0 ('Fumbling Towards Ecstasy') built on Oct 11 2008 20:13:15
Writing library                  : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 5 frames
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                         : 4 181 Kbps
Width                            : 1 280 pixels
Height                           : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.189
Stream size                      : 1.24 GiB (85%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 65 r1016 dbc5ef0
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=4181 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
Language                         : English

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)
Codec ID                         : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 640 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 16 bits
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Stream size                      : 198 MiB (13%)
Language                         : English

zonk7ate9

Jun 11, 2010
the problem of your file is the high profile, tegra 2 doesn't support high profil that's all

I think this is an Android limitation rather than a Tegra 2 issue. Either way its hit and miss for me. One enccoder works flawlessly at 4500 while anything encoded by handbrake at that bit rate is choppy.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
the problem of your file is the high profile, tegra 2 doesn't support high profil that's all

I thinking the "base only" profile was an h.264 limit...

and got a little confused by the CODEC ID: V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC thinking it was MP4, not x264 inside...

Funny the video plays fine, but the audio doesn't.

The ones I've run through Handbrake to turn into MP4's play a little smoother, at least on the Xoom's screen... HDMI out to my TV is still a little jerky

Last edited:

ClydeB1

May 6, 2009
Can someone mirror the codec file please? I can't seem to hit their site.
As well as the Moboplayer.apk please. I have a serious issue where any file from the market will download and as it comes to install MyApps FC's and the app just won't install. Don't know what else to do, I've cleared data and caches from Market and MyApps, but still no joy.

insty

Jun 30, 2010
Melbourne
As well as the Moboplayer.apk please. I have a serious issue where any file from the market will download and as it comes to install MyApps FC's and the app just won't install. Don't know what else to do, I've cleared data and caches from Market and MyApps, but still no joy.

Go into myapps and click uninstall updates.

Reactions: ClydeB1

Bigmille

May 23, 2008
London
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
just tried with a downloaded MKV of a TV show...

Video played, but no audio. VIdeo was a little jerky...
[/code]

I also have this problem when playing h.264 MKV files. However, there is a work around.

Within Mobo Setting, there is an option called "Default using soft-decoding" under Playback section.

The video will have audio playback, but it might be jerky or there is lag between video and audio depend on video file.

xo96

Nov 12, 2006
Glad I stumped into the Moto forum. The player works good with my Iconia A500 with RMVB files.!

drhill

Apr 29, 2010
I'd guess the audio doesn't play because it doesn't support hardware AC3 (DD) decoding?

Athenon87

Nov 6, 2008
I also have this problem when playing h.264 MKV files. However, there is a work around.

Within Mobo Setting, there is an option called "Default using soft-decoding" under Playback section.

The video will have audio playback, but it might be jerky or there is lag between video and audio depend on video file.

This works for me, but I don't really understand why it's necessary. I have an mkv file with mpga audio and it plays the video just fine, but no audio. Isn't there a way to play the audio without taking the performance hit?

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
Yeh the lack of hardware audio decode is a real shame, means we have to switch to soft decode to get audio, hopefully there is something the mobo player team can do about it, maybe we should try get in contact with them?

SilentMobius

Apr 17, 2007
I haven't tried it yet but a new version of MoboPlayer is available with added Tegra 2 support:

http://moboplayer.com/moboplayer_en.html

Just to clarify, this does _not_ use Tegra hardware acceleration, its just optimized for the ARM core (Like using an SSE optimised binary on a PC)

The _only_ way we will get usable 720p+ h.264 (main profile) and/or use an MKV container is if the _platform_ gets updated with support for the MKV container and Nvidia update their OMXs for the platform.

No app will improve of the default playback

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Go into myapps and click uninstall updates.