Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,336 Members 37,483 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

USB Keyboard Support?

Tip us?

Vereynn
Old
Thanks Meter 28
i tried some cheap micro keyboard+trackpad combo (about as wide as the tablet in landscape) & had issues. Only time it worked was when I was in the URL bar of the browser, "physical keyboard" showed as an input type option. Anywhere else it just sat plugged in. I may steal my dad's Mac BT keyboard since he doesn't use it. Will clash horribly though

threedfreek
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I've got it running on a BT Keyboard/mouse device Works great... I've had issues with the headphones plug not stopping my music... (listen to Hard Rock at work and everyone hears it =(oops).. pull headphones and plug them back in... lots of really little niggles that need to be worked out... hopefully acer will find them all with the update next month!!!
- 3DFreek -
Acer Iconia A500
Samsung Epic
Archos 5 500gb

rorytmeadows
Old
Thanks Meter 215

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by threedfreek View Post
I've got it running on a BT Keyboard/mouse device Works great... I've had issues with the headphones plug not stopping my music... (listen to Hard Rock at work and everyone hears it =(oops).. pull headphones and plug them back in... lots of really little niggles that need to be worked out... hopefully acer will find them all with the update next month!!!
Ohhhh! I've always wondered about that keyboard! Does the trackpad work? How's typing with that keypad?
RTM

XDA's #1 Apple hater

T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooted Stock 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 Stock 4.4.2

threedfreek
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Touch pad works great for pc and playstation 3... etc... but for the acer it does nothing... Arrows work to get from item to item typing works great... I believe an update will/can allow mouse...

FYI... this device comes with it's own bt usb adapter that is really weak however, when connected to a bluetooth device has decent distance.
- 3DFreek -
Acer Iconia A500
Samsung Epic
Archos 5 500gb

rorytmeadows
Old
Thanks Meter 215

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by threedfreek View Post
Touch pad works great for pc and playstation 3... etc... but for the acer it does nothing... Arrows work to get from item to item typing works great... I believe an update will/can allow mouse...

FYI... this device comes with it's own bt usb adapter that is really weak however, when connected to a bluetooth device has decent distance.
How's the hardware? Solid? Connectivity in and out? And how easy/difficult was it to pair? I've read that a lot of these no-name devices don't come with specific instructions on pairing.
RTM

XDA's #1 Apple hater

T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooted Stock 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 Stock 4.4.2

threedfreek
Old
(Last edited by threedfreek; 6th May 2011 at 12:36 PM.) Reason: missed a question..
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
How's the hardware? Solid? Connectivity in and out? And how easy/difficult was it to pair? I've read that a lot of these no-name devices don't come with specific instructions on pairing.
Pairing was as simple (on my samsung epic) as searching for devices.
1. push the bluetooth button till the light blinks
2. Search for devices
3. type in a passcode on phone/device
4. type that passcode on the keyboard

I think this is how it was done... worked really well first time to my epic... easily connected on my a500 too. I love the keyboad it works with my entertainment pc that has sagetv on it so controlling the 47" from the couch is awesome.

edit: Hardware is really solid and the bt usb device slides into the keyboard... really convenient
- 3DFreek -
Acer Iconia A500
Samsung Epic
Archos 5 500gb

atomicwedgie
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I managed to pair with my Apple wireless KB but no love for typing.

butterflygirl
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramy717 View Post
i could not get it to work with wireless USB keyboards but it did work with a dell USB keyboard.
ditto here.

propagandax
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by peyotll View Post
I tried a cheap chinese case/usb keyboard combo and it worked but the a500 doesn't fit in...
Which one?

EVO Mobile
Apache=>Mogul=>Raphael=>Rhodium=>Supersonic=>EVO3D

seraphimserapis
Old
(Last edited by seraphimserapis; 7th May 2011 at 11:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 419

DONATE TO ME
My cherry keyboard doesn't seem to run. Sad

DMESG says the following:

<6>[ 660.363583] usb 1-1: new low speed USB device using tegra-ehci and address 6
<6>[ 660.410104] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=046a, idProduct=0023
<6>[ 660.410487] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
<6>[ 688.559913] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 6
Galaxy Nexus
Samsung Galaxy Note
LG G-Slate
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1N

Buy me a beer for rooting the Motorola Milestone or Galaxy TAB!

Twitter: @SeraAndroid