FORUMS

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (Apr 17 – 24)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Glimpse Notifications: Easier Lockscreen Notifications

Lollipop brought a revamp to the lockscreen, taking away custom widgets but … more

What Are the Best Looking Apps on Android?

As more developers are updating their apps with Material Design elements, we’re … more

Cyngn Explained: Who’s Cyanogen, What’s Cyanogen OS?

While Cyanogen, Inc has been the source of many headlines lately, there … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

USB Keyboard Support?

1st May 2011, 04:12 AM |#11  
Senior Member
Flag Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 28
 
More
i tried some cheap micro keyboard+trackpad combo (about as wide as the tablet in landscape) & had issues. Only time it worked was when I was in the URL bar of the browser, "physical keyboard" showed as an input type option. Anywhere else it just sat plugged in. I may steal my dad's Mac BT keyboard since he doesn't use it. Will clash horribly though
 
 
5th May 2011, 07:01 PM |#12  
Senior Member
Flag lansing, mi
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
I've got it running on a BT Keyboard/mouse device Works great... I've had issues with the headphones plug not stopping my music... (listen to Hard Rock at work and everyone hears it =(oops).. pull headphones and plug them back in... lots of really little niggles that need to be worked out... hopefully acer will find them all with the update next month!!!
6th May 2011, 01:13 AM |#13  
rorytmeadows's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Charleston, SC metro area
Thanks Meter: 217
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by threedfreek

I've got it running on a BT Keyboard/mouse device Works great... I've had issues with the headphones plug not stopping my music... (listen to Hard Rock at work and everyone hears it =(oops).. pull headphones and plug them back in... lots of really little niggles that need to be worked out... hopefully acer will find them all with the update next month!!!

Ohhhh! I've always wondered about that keyboard! Does the trackpad work? How's typing with that keypad?
6th May 2011, 12:23 PM |#14  
Senior Member
Flag lansing, mi
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Touch pad works great for pc and playstation 3... etc... but for the acer it does nothing... Arrows work to get from item to item typing works great... I believe an update will/can allow mouse...

FYI... this device comes with it's own bt usb adapter that is really weak however, when connected to a bluetooth device has decent distance.
6th May 2011, 12:25 PM |#15  
rorytmeadows's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Charleston, SC metro area
Thanks Meter: 217
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by threedfreek

Touch pad works great for pc and playstation 3... etc... but for the acer it does nothing... Arrows work to get from item to item typing works great... I believe an update will/can allow mouse...

FYI... this device comes with it's own bt usb adapter that is really weak however, when connected to a bluetooth device has decent distance.

How's the hardware? Solid? Connectivity in and out? And how easy/difficult was it to pair? I've read that a lot of these no-name devices don't come with specific instructions on pairing.
6th May 2011, 12:34 PM |#16  
Senior Member
Flag lansing, mi
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows

How's the hardware? Solid? Connectivity in and out? And how easy/difficult was it to pair? I've read that a lot of these no-name devices don't come with specific instructions on pairing.

Pairing was as simple (on my samsung epic) as searching for devices.
1. push the bluetooth button till the light blinks
2. Search for devices
3. type in a passcode on phone/device
4. type that passcode on the keyboard

I think this is how it was done... worked really well first time to my epic... easily connected on my a500 too. I love the keyboad it works with my entertainment pc that has sagetv on it so controlling the 47" from the couch is awesome.

edit: Hardware is really solid and the bt usb device slides into the keyboard... really convenient
Last edited by threedfreek; 6th May 2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: missed a question..
6th May 2011, 12:58 PM |#17  
Member
Flag Long Island NY
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
I managed to pair with my Apple wireless KB but no love for typing.
6th May 2011, 01:23 PM |#18  
butterflygirl's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramy717

i could not get it to work with wireless USB keyboards but it did work with a dell USB keyboard.

ditto here.
7th May 2011, 02:52 AM |#19  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by peyotll

I tried a cheap chinese case/usb keyboard combo and it worked but the a500 doesn't fit in...

Which one?

EVO Mobile
7th May 2011, 11:21 PM |#20  
seraphimserapis's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 419
 
Donate to Me
More
My cherry keyboard doesn't seem to run. Sad

DMESG says the following:

<6>[ 660.363583] usb 1-1: new low speed USB device using tegra-ehci and address 6
<6>[ 660.410104] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=046a, idProduct=0023
<6>[ 660.410487] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
<6>[ 688.559913] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 6
Last edited by seraphimserapis; 7th May 2011 at 11:24 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes