Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,170 Members 49,358 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Entourage pocket edge development

Tip us?

brianb5010
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keslynn View Post
I keep getting a Force Close when I try to open the Market. It worked long enough to let me register my Google account but hasn't opened since. I edited the build.prop but no dice. Any suggestions?

Sent from my edgejr using XDA Premium App
Did you use Titanium Backup to convert the Market and GoogleServicesFramework to a system app? I kept getting a force close before I did that.

brianb5010
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
I can understand not wanting to send me the files if they might nclude personal data, I wouldnt either.does anyone know if this would have a chance of working usong the android emulator so there would not be any personal data involved? or for that matter if someone has a virgin phone that they wouldnt mind rooting and sending files from before any personal data is placed on it?
I would send you files and create a nice tutarial if I had the time...just been crazy busy. I've attached some files that should work...these aren't the ones I used, but should be the correct version 2.2.1. (I'm at work now) Maybe you can get them installed with package manager, adb, Titanium Backup, or some combination of them? Don't forget you need the most recent pro version of Titanium Backup to get all the bells and whistles. Start by focusing on only GoogleServicesFramework.apk and Vending.apk. Also, I'd use Titanium to convert them to system once they are installed. Good luck!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip gapps.zip - [Click for QR Code] (7.20 MB, 470 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to brianb5010 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hemAndroid
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianb5010 View Post
Stock recovery:

I believe this may help

1. Download Golden Update from Entourage here:

2. Rename the file to update.zip then copy the update to the root of an SD card and pop the SD card in your eDGe

3. Press and hold "rotate" and "menu" buttons and turn on your eDGe using power button. You need to hold "rotate" and "menu" for about 7 seconds to start firmware update process.

I believe this ought to factory reset your edge.

After you flashed the clockworkmod recovery, did you try doing this with the "rotate and menu" buttons? I am guessing you did and nothing happened.

Keslynn
Old
(Last edited by Keslynn; 18th May 2011 at 07:57 PM.) Reason: Trying to add logcat
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianb5010 View Post
Did you use Titanium Backup to convert the Market and GoogleServicesFramework to a system app? I kept getting a force close before I did that.
They restored as system apps so I didn't need to convert them. I will attempt to post a logcat.

Logcat attached. It looks to me like it something in the Services Framework but I have no idea what it is or what else could be going on here. Anyone else running into this problem or have an idea as to how to fix it?

Sent from my edgejr using XDA Premium App
Attached Files
File Type: txt alogcat.2011-05-18-14-43-52-0400.txt - [Click for QR Code] (30.1 KB, 47 views)
Samsung VibrantZenDroid 1.1
Fix permissions in Froyo

Entourage Pocket EdgeRooted Ermine Beta
Entourage Pocket Edge Quick Guide

emusan
Old
(Last edited by emusan; 19th May 2011 at 03:20 AM.) Reason: added info
Thanks Meter 5
Just got all the gapps working, all I had to do was install them normally then convert each to system files.

However, now I'm running into the problem with the accounts, whenever I try to sign in I get the network error, I tried the youtube workaround (didn't want to do that first as it was mentioned that it could cause sync issues), but now it just comes up saying that it has encountered an error and needs to close(on the terms acceptance screen I think).

If anyone has any idea what this might be that would be great, I can post a log and any other info you would need/want. Thanks

Oh, should be noted that I did not use a backup from another phone, but just the gapps posted in the zip file above, so I might be missing some required data...

guyjack
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Default Selling My Entourage Edge

Unfortunately, I have to sell my Entourage Edge. I am selling it on eBay...http://r.ebay.com/nwT5KT

If you want to know if I am on the level, just pop on over to the Entourage Edge forums and look around for guyjack. I am pretty well known there.

Guyjack

exmortius
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi everyone, Thanks for your replay kennyminot, I had to fly back to NJ so i did not have time to replay,anyway I finely got gmail voice and talk to work. I used the files and adb script from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=937752
Code:
adb push Vending.apk /system/app
adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk /system/app
adb push Gmail.apk /system/app
adb push Maps.apk /system/app
adb push Talk.apk /system/app
adb push GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk /system/app
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/app/Vending.apk
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/app/Gmail.apk
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/app/Maps.apk
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/app/Talk.apk
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/app/GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
adb reboot
I copy the adb commands to a txt file added the rest of the apk to the txt then saved it as a .cmd file run it from your adb directory
it will push all the files with the correct permissions also making them system files.

seeing how I changed settings and files I am going to do a restore/downgrade then update. and try brianb5010 way of installing.

Code:
	 Revert from Ermine (Froyo) back to Dingo
The process to revert from Ermine (Froyo) back to Dingo is detailed below. NO userdata will be saved. This is NOT an update or downgrade, it is a reformat of the edge/pocket and will delete all of your data and configurations.

BEFORE YOU START - Login to your account and opt-out of the beta so you don't update to it again!

1. Download the Golden Update file for edge or pocket edge. 
  eDGe 2.0 http://www.entourageedge.com/support/rsc/updates/latest-edge2/update.golden.zip
  Pocket http://www.entourageedge.com/support/rsc/updates/latest-pocket/update.golden.zip
 2. Rename the file to "update.zip" 
3. Place this file in the root (not a subdirectory) of a USB stick 
4. Verify your edge/pocket is OFF. 
5. Insert the USB stick into a USB port on the device. 
6. While holding down the MENU and ROTATE buttons on the LCD side of the device, press the power key. 
7. Continue to hold the MENU and ROTATE keys down for 10 seconds. 8. After 1-2 minutes you should see an "Updating software" splash screen. Because we are downgrading versions of Android in this procedure, there is a catch. The procedure above will not be able to completely update, and we will need to run the update procedure twice. 
 9. After the "Updating Software" splash screen has been displayed for MORE than 20 minutes, press the reset button with a paper clip on the pocket. On the eDGe, remove the battery and AC. 
10. Once the eDGe/pocket is off, leave the USB stick inserted and while holding down the MENU and ROTATE buttons on the LCD side of the device, press the power key. 
11. Continue to hold the MENU and ROTATE keys for 10 seconds. 
12. After 1-2 minutes you should see an "Updating software" splash screen. 
13. After ~15 minutes the device will reboot and will be running the latest Donut (Dingo) build.

Keslynn
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
Just got all the gapps working, all I had to do was install them normally then convert each to system files.

However, now I'm running into the problem with the accounts, whenever I try to sign in I get the network error, I tried the youtube workaround (didn't want to do that first as it was mentioned that it could cause sync issues), but now it just comes up saying that it has encountered an error and needs to close(on the terms acceptance screen I think).

If anyone has any idea what this might be that would be great, I can post a log and any other info you would need/want. Thanks

Oh, should be noted that I did not use a backup from another phone, but just the gapps posted in the zip file above, so I might be missing some required data...
I copied the exact backups of the working apps from my PE to my boyfriend's and restored them from TiBU. Go figure, I'm getting that same #$%^ed error as you. It will let him sign into his account and check Gmail but we can't access the Market. He took his with him for the day so maybe you can post a log and I can try to figure out what's going on? I'll also check the log on his tonight and see if it's the same issue. Don't know if I'll be able to determine a fix (I'm not good with code but Google is always helpful) but it's worth a try.
Samsung VibrantZenDroid 1.1
Fix permissions in Froyo

Entourage Pocket EdgeRooted Ermine Beta
Entourage Pocket Edge Quick Guide

brianb5010
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keslynn View Post
I copied the exact backups of the working apps from my PE to my boyfriend's and restored them from TiBU. Go figure, I'm getting that same #$%^ed error as you. It will let him sign into his account and check Gmail but we can't access the Market. He took his with him for the day so maybe you can post a log and I can try to figure out what's going on? I'll also check the log on his tonight and see if it's the same issue. Don't know if I'll be able to determine a fix (I'm not good with code but Google is always helpful) but it's worth a try.
Did you do the convert from system to user app, then back to system on the edge? I tried a normal backup/restore and it didn't work until I did the convert process. I'm not sure exactly why it works...I think it's a combination of fixing permissions, Market requiring itself to be a system app, and Titanium allowing everything to install even if the regular package installer would fail.

emusan
Old
(Last edited by emusan; 19th May 2011 at 10:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
I've attached the log, this time I ran into a crash upon first trying to open the market, and then I tried opening it again and it brought me to the add a google account page, which then led to the network error I had earlier. I'll take a look through this after work, but if you find anything out before then let me know.

Also, I would like to note that I couldn't get the google backup application installed for some reason, if anyone thinks its necessary I can post a log of that as well.

Sorry if I logged this wrong, I'm rather new to android and even doing this kind of stuff in any OS lol.

EDIT 1: After quickly looking over the log, it seems as though the calender service thinks that its 1970 for some reason, maybe this is causing the problem? Perhaps when the apps are from a back-up it keeps the date and time that the calender has stored... Unfortunately, I see no way to change this date and time because my systems time is correct, which is why I wonder where this 1970 is coming from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

@Keslynn, did you edit the line of the build.prop file on your boyfriends edge? that could be the problem...

EDIT 2: The actual communication error seems to be on line 100 with:
Code:
E/vending ( 7933): [17] MarketWidgetProvider$UpdateTask.doInBackground(): com.android.vending.api.FatalCommunicationException: Sent a bad request.
Attached Files
File Type: txt logcat.txt - [Click for QR Code] (10.9 KB, 5 views)