Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,743 Members 43,811 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to keep your media files from being deleted off of SDCards

Tip us?

snowzach
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default How to keep your media files from being deleted off of SDCards

So I searched and searched and never found a definitive answer on how to keep your media files from being automatically deleted off of SDCards on reboots. There were guesses but no report back on what actually worked.

I noticed after it happened about 5 times. You copy files (m4v, mkv, others) to your SDCard and after you reboot they are gone. This happens on Vegan as well as others I had read.

TLDR:
To keep this from happening, in the root of your SDCards (For me /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/sdcard2), create a DIRECTORY called .nomedia You cannot use Windows to do this, you must do it on a linux/unix machine or from iFilemanager,Astro or another file manager type application.

I haven't had trouble since.
The Following User Says Thank You to snowzach For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

brettdwagner
Old
Thanks Meter 32
I have also had success with the .nomedia file placed in directories containing media. However if this .nomedia directory can ward off the indexing for my entire SD card that would be even better.

.nomedia feels like having to smear blood over the door frame so the the angel of death won't take my firstborn. Unleavened bread anyone?

snowzach
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Several reboots now and no issues.... thank goodness I was about to chuck it through the window...

nunjabusiness
Old
Thanks Meter 73
I still don't understand why some people have this issue. Is it specific to a ROM?

I have a number of AVI files and many folders of MP3s that have been on my SD card since the day I got it (4 months+).
Never had anything delete itself from there. Running VEGAnTab since the 2nd day of ownership.

Just Jack
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I dunno, but it happened to me last night (before I found this thread). Added the directory via eStrong, buried a potato under a stump and tied a chicken foot around my neck for good measure. We'll see what happens.

notaflyingtoy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for posting. This solved a major frustration of mine, but it appears to be solved now.

DustyJacket
Old
Thanks Meter 0
My media files went away for the forst time. (I was stock until yesterday.)

I added .nomedia and the files are safe, but my music players and photo viewers cannot find the files now.

Anyway to get them protected but viewable?

richest
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowzach View Post
So I searched and searched and never found a definitive answer on how to keep your media files from being automatically deleted off of SDCards on reboots. There were guesses but no report back on what actually worked.

I noticed after it happened about 5 times. You copy files (m4v, mkv, others) to your SDCard and after you reboot they are gone. This happens on Vegan as well as others I had read.

TLDR:
To keep this from happening, in the root of your SDCards (For me /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/sdcard2), create a DIRECTORY called .nomedia You cannot use Windows to do this, you must do it on a linux/unix machine or from iFilemanager,Astro or another file manager type application.

I haven't had trouble since.
How can I creat a DIRECTORY. I used Actro and ifilemanager. I don't know where to input .nomedia. Thanks for your help.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

It work and thanks