XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] loading cifs module

Tip us?

enigma0456
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Question [Q] loading cifs module

Vegan ginger - loaded the standard with pershoot kernel but it has no cifs support. Replaced with clemsyn and cifs was great but after rebooting my screen hung and eventually I had to revert to my original without cuts. I think there is a way to instruct the pershoot kernel to load cifs support even thought it isn't compiled into the kernel. I'm looking for some step by step instructions to learn how to do that. Anyone know how?

aasoror
Old
(Last edited by aasoror; 2nd May 2011 at 03:13 AM.)
Thanks Meter 54
How about reading the instructions posted by pershoots on the very same page from which you downloaded the kernel ?!?

Quote:
To use one of the kernel modules:
Pull the one you want from lib-2632.39.tar.gz (winrar can open this),
adb remount
adb push MODULE.ko /system/lib/modules/2.6.32.39-cyanogenmod/
adb shell chmod 644 /system/lib/modules/2.6.32.39-cyanogenmod/MODULE.ko
adb shell insmod /system/lib/modules/2.6.32.39-cyanogenmod/MODULE.ko
- if you don't use adb then just use "terminal emulator" (from the market or preloaded with the some ROMs).
- replace "MODULE" with "cifs"
- use the lib file appropriate to your ROM and bootloader.

Best of luck,

enigma0456
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Exclamation Yeah - that was helpful !

"How about reading the instructions posted by pershoots on THE VERY SAME PAGE FROM WHICH YOU DOWNLOADED THE KERNEL?!?"
Having a bad day were we???
The kernel came with the rom so I never downloaded a kernel and had no idea where the page was - your link was helpful in that it took me to that page (not on xda forum) so I was able to download the library anyway. Sadly, I am not using cyanogen so the paths listed in the instructions don't apply I don't think. I'm also not using adb yet although I'm working up to it. I can use terminal emulator so that shouldn't be a problem assuming I find where to put the module. Possibly it can go anywhere in the system/lib/modules directory as long as I can point to it? I guess we'll have to try it and see.
The real question that you have raised is "use the lib file appropriate to your ROM and bootloader." How do you determine what is "appropriate"?
So perhaps someone would be willing to share a tad more knowledge and perhaps we will have a thread that other g-tab owners can use to learn from.

thebadfrog
Old
Thanks Meter 469
Pushing modules in the kernel is the same no matter the rom and vegan ginger is built from cm source anyway

enigma0456
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebadfrog View Post
Pushing modules in the kernel is the same no matter the rom and vegan ginger is built from cm source anyway
So I downloaded lib-2632.39.tar.gz and unpacked it, searched around and found the cifs.ko file. I'm guessing that I can put that anywhere logical in /system/library and point to it. My app (CIFS Manager) has an option to load via insmod and asks for a path to it. I'm assuming that insmod is available and my app will call it to load the module? I'd also like to know how I would know without someone telling me that the module was in lib-2632.39.tar.gz? Is there some rationale that would tell me how this library and the kernel are related or are these libraries just generic in some way? Thanks for the helping hand.

thebadfrog
Old
Thanks Meter 469
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=903505

schettj
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma0456 View Post
I would know without someone telling me that the module was in lib-2632.39.tar.gz?
The kernel developers who provide the kernels and the extra optional modules provide information on their blogs when they post the availability of the kernel. For example, pershoot's blog has this info, as well as install instructions.

or you ask here.

aasoror
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
The kernel came with the rom so I never downloaded a kernel and had no idea where the page was.
Sorry I mistakenly assumed since you mentioned pershoot that you have been to his thread (the most active in the development section).

Quote:
Possibly it can go anywhere in the system/lib/modules directory as long as I can point to it?
Yes you certainly can.

Quote:
How do you determine what is "appropriate"?
If you have a gingerbread based ROM download the the lib file with "gb" in its file name.
If you have a the new bootloader on the your gtab use the ones with "newbl" in the file name.

Quote:
So I downloaded lib-2632.39.tar.gz and unpacked it, searched around and found the cifs.ko file.
Thats the wrong file (this is the one for Froyo ROMs).

Quote:
I'm assuming that insmod is available and my app will call it to load the module?
True

Quote:
I'd also like to know how I would know without someone telling me that the module was in lib-2632.39.tar.gz?
You wouldn't.

Quote:
Is there some rationale that would tell me how this library and the kernel are related or are these libraries just generic in some way?
There isn't any, just the developers choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to aasoror For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thebadfrog
Old
Thanks Meter 469
^^^^ Good job lol

enigma0456
Old
(Last edited by enigma0456; 3rd May 2011 at 02:32 AM.) Reason: update
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Thanks - that was really helpful. I like direct answers to questions. So I went and got the right library (looked for gb in name as directed). Moved the module onto my tab into a download directory via usb. Went to /System/Lib via terminal and there was no modules directory. I tried to make one and got an error that the file system is mounted read only. Arghhh I remember fighting with this when I was trying to install another keyboard. I never was able to resolve it. Theoretically "remount" should work but I searched and tried all different examples and I was never able to get it to work for me. I tested my cifs manager and it errors out - providing a base that cifs doesn't work without the module. I'm going to try pointing it at my download folder for now to see if the module would work. That is pretty messy so I would still like to put it in the proper place - if you feel up to it would you instruct me on how to overcome the deadly "mounted read only" file system problem?
Update - put the cifs.ko file in /sdcard/download. Went into cifs manager and told it to load via insmod. Made path to cifs.ko = /sdcard/download (also tried /sdcard/download/cifs.ko) In all cases I get the message "... failed no such device". If I turn off the insmod feature I get the same message which leads me to believe that the cifs.ko isn't loading. As a test, I am using the exact same path to share, mount point, etc. on my other tab running Clemsyn/Calkulin that has cifs built into the kernel and it connects almost instantly. It is likely therefor that my problem revolves around this kernel loading cifs. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but suggestions are welcome.

Tags
cifs, kernel