Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,856 Members 38,767 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

vorkKernel-OC/UV Kernel for CM[20111105]

Tip us?

Benee
Old
(Last edited by Benee; 10th November 2011 at 09:27 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1,757
Thumbs up vorkKernel-OC/UV Kernel for CM[20111105]

Hi. The following kernel is presented to you by

vorkKernel Team:
Quote:
- kiljacken
- Benee

This kernel is for Cyanogenmod and Miui. *Could* be incompatible with latest kangs or nightlies (after a kernel update from CM team). No support for stock or mcr...

It's incompatible with MIUI and CM Builds before #177

New vorkKernel Twitter Bot: Here

First I want to make clear that all credit goes to aremcee/arcee/rmcc (man so many nicks ). He did an awesome job with the kernel.
I just tweaked it a little bit to my needs.

Quote:
Features:
  • uv/oc support. OC up to 1,5GHz (With E-Peen version)
  • AVP/System/RAM/GPU OC with E-Peen version
  • 1,2 Ghz for batt safe version.
  • Special tweaked (working!) Performance and Powersave Govenors which don't lock the freq to one level (they choose between 3-4 Freq steps)
  • It's even possible to set max/min clock via setcpu or CMSettings!
  • Voodoo sound. Thanks supercurio! So awesome
  • Default IO-Sched is Deadline with a special flash storage tweak
  • Slub allocator
  • tweaked CFS cpu sched (Low latency)
  • compiled with a tweaked toolchain (base linaro gcc - optimized for tegra2)
  • VFP optimizations (vfpv3-d16) and overall compiler optimizations
  • flags! (more below in the flag section)
  • A App for easy downloading and configuring. Credits to kiljacken!
Quote:
The standard part:
I'm not responsible for melted phones or something like that...

The camera is unstable with E-Peen mode (due to AVP OC). After a reboot it needs to stabilize a few minutes (so you break it with every reboot again). Same for Bluetooth. Please don't report a problem regarding this. It's known and can't be fixed.
And the source code here.

Download (Market)

Credits to kiljacken for this awesome app! You need OI File Manager for the app (Comes with CM)!

(and if you refuse to use the app - or the app is refusing to work with you: here)

Only change something, if you want to enable OC - No need to touch anything else (like govenors, schedulers)

Quote:
What are flags and how can I use them?
I recommend to use the App kiljacken made, because it's super easy for you guys. If you not want to use the app *sadpanda* then you can click this link. This is the file the app is fetching to generate the UI.

The layout is following:
Available for following device/Element style (more below)/the flag you need to add/Flag name in App/Description for general Flag/Choice name in app/actual value you need to add after flag name

If the last two points are added you first enter the flag name and than the value. For example: density230

You connect the flags with a: -
Example: -camera-ring ...

The script is configured to detect flags after vorkKernel-VERSIONNUMBER. So you can add some flags after this.

Element style
c = Checkbox
l = List you can choose things from
e = you can enter your own value
Quote:
Error Reporting Guide

Start with rebooting, if that doesn't help, reflash CM and then the kernel, and check again. If you're using the updater app (make sure you have the latest version), use the error report function (and describe what you're problem is). If you're not using the app, then post what flags you are using, along with what your problem is.

Additionally I just want to point out that I'm not doing this as a fulltime job, so don't expect daily updates or something like that. I will try to fix a problem as fast as possible but in some cases it can take a while.

If you want to support me you can sign up on dropbox via my referral link or just push this nice thanks button .. If you want to donate you can donate to aremcee/arcee/rmcc something. I'm learning C and linux and vorkKernel is my learning project and it is a hobby for me. Anyway if you still want to support a poor student, I have a link in my signature

Thanks to:
arcee + the whole CM Team
morfic for all the avp oc tweaks and other stuff
thalamus (for saving me going crazy with the toolchain )
Erasmux
All guys that made pull request and contributed in any possible way
Donators to our project (app or kiljacken's donate link)
the android community

and a very big thanks to b3ndech0 for his buildbox.
Benee

My Github
The Following 82 Users Say Thank You to Benee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Birthe88
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
Thanks, this is very much appreciated
SG II - Villainrom 1.4

XTC Clip - ESBJERG, DK - S-OFF, SIM Unlock!
PM Me If You Are Interested!

sibbor
Old
(Last edited by sibbor; 4th June 2011 at 12:40 AM.)
Thanks Meter 332

DONATE TO ME
This kernel is amazing! Nice work with the filename flags. It's brilliant! This way we don't have to have the same setup, but can enjoy both CM7 and the kernel.
Developer of GetRIL (XDA thread)
See your device's RIL and baseband version and download & install a new RIL even without on-the-fly!

HTC One X
ROM: CM 10.1 (official) or AOSP 4.2.2 - Thanks pabx, tbalden & Co
Hboot: 1.39

ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T
CM 10.1 (official) - Thanks XpLoDWilD!

LG Optimus 2X
CM 10.1 (official) - Thanks Ricardo Cerqueira!

Benee
Old
Thanks Meter 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibbor View Post
I'll try this kernel later. Will wait for CM7 getting more optimized for our devices first. 2000 Quadrant scores out of the box just don't cut it - I don't want to overclock to 1.4 GHz just to reach speeds of MCR FR14 ;)

Planning on including any changes from kholk?
More things will be in it soon. And Quadrant doesn't matter. CM feels better in normal use (except a few problems but it is a really good starting point).
Benee

My Github
The Following User Says Thank You to Benee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sibbor
Old
Thanks Meter 332

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benee View Post
More things will be in it soon. And Quadrant doesn't matter. CM feels better in normal use (except a few problems but it is a really good starting point).
Yes I know it doesn't really matter. Although, generally speaking, higher scores means the software is more optimized to the hardware; framework, kernel and/or drivers.

CM7 should be able to smash the performance out of the LG stock ROM without problem...

Thanks for you kernel additions! Subscribed to this thread now so I can follow your progress.
Developer of GetRIL (XDA thread)
See your device's RIL and baseband version and download & install a new RIL even without on-the-fly!

HTC One X
ROM: CM 10.1 (official) or AOSP 4.2.2 - Thanks pabx, tbalden & Co
Hboot: 1.39

ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T
CM 10.1 (official) - Thanks XpLoDWilD!

LG Optimus 2X
CM 10.1 (official) - Thanks Ricardo Cerqueira!

vekkio
Old
Thanks Meter 29
is this kernel for a stock rom?
thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to vekkio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Benee
Old
Thanks Meter 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibbor View Post
Yes I know it doesn't really matter. Although, generally speaking, higher scores means the software is more optimized to the hardware; framework, kernel and/or drivers.

CM7 should be able to smash the performance out of the LG stock ROM without problem...

Thanks for you kernel additions! Subscribed to this thread now so I can follow your progress.
Nah. You can boost quadrant to oblivion via data2ext for example on desire/nexus but it didn't helped in real life performance. The sql sync disable doesn't help with real usage, but boost quadrant etc. So many things which doesn't improve real usage, boost quadrant. Like deleting your /system (pro move...).
But yeah in some parts you are right and optimizing drivers boost it too + help real use performance, so I will do this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vekkio View Post
thanks
Really? Just read the title: vorkKernel-OC/UV Kernel for CM. For Cyanogenmod. Not stock...
Benee

My Github

emprize
Old
Thanks Meter 122

DONATE TO ME
seems the IO from quadrant score still low, is it same sqlite hack with paul that one?

Benee
Old
Thanks Meter 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by emprize View Post
seems the IO from quadrant score still low, is it same sqlite hack with paul that one?
yup. patched cm, then compiled this and added it to update.zip.
Benee

My Github

Kickasskev
Old
Thanks Meter 192

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vekkio View Post
thanks
Haaahaa yeah u flash away hahahahha

EDIT:- No only joking