Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,032 Members 52,604 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A question from a beginner

Tip us?

urself25
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Default A question from a beginner

Hi,

I finally gave in and flash a new kernel last weekend in order to get an ext4 filesystem. Having a i9000m model plagued with the motherboard/sd card failure back in December, it took me some time before deciding to do some mod. For exemple, I rooted my phone only 2 weeks ago more than 7 months after I bought it. While when I had my HTC Touch, I flash my first ROM within the first week.

I'm fine with stock at the moment, however, I did wanted to upgrade my Kernel to something better with which I could implement an ext4 filesystem. I flashed SpeedMod K13e last friday, implemented the new filesystem and enjoy the new speed my phone was giving me.

My question to you, because I upgraded my filesystem to ext4, will I have to revert back to RFS when android gingerbread will be available through Kies before I upgrade?

Thanks

rschenck
Old
Thanks Meter 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by urself25 View Post
Hi,

I finally gave in and flash a new kernel last weekend in order to get an ext4 filesystem. Having a i9000m model plagued with the motherboard/sd card failure back in December, it took me some time before deciding to do some mod. For exemple, I rooted my phone only 2 weeks ago more than 7 months after I bought it. While when I had my HTC Touch, I flash my first ROM within the first week.

I'm fine with stock at the moment, however, I did wanted to upgrade my Kernel to something better with which I could implement an ext4 filesystem. I flashed SpeedMod K13e last friday, implemented the new filesystem and enjoy the new speed my phone was giving me.

My question to you, because I upgraded my filesystem to ext4, will I have to revert back to RFS when android gingerbread will be available through Kies before I upgrade?

Thanks
Absolutely, since the update will overwrite your kernel with the stock GB kernel which will not support Ext4.

Kies should recognize your phone and provide an update with the lagfix and kernel in place as long as the PDA/Modem and CSC are what it expect to see (that is, stock for your carrier). However, before updating, go into recovery and disable lagfix.
On a Mission from Gawd

He who dies with the highest Thanks Meter gets to take their toys with them.

**SGS i9000T**

Rom - CM10, Latest Alpha, KG3 Modem
**Motorola Xoom WiFi**
Rom - Team Eos (Tiamat) ICS, Latest Nightly
**Samsung P1000T**
Rom - AOSP

Boulbos
Old
Thanks Meter 8
As "rschenck" said, you have no other choice but to disable lagfix before going to stock 2.3.3. That's because Samsung's stock kernel does not support ext4, as a file system. The only way to have ext4 is by having a kernel that supports this format. So, go back to RFS, flash stock GB, then replace its kernel with one supporting ext4.
Friendly,
Boulmpos - Ventrilogreek91

Samsung Galaxy S
Firmware version: FroYo 2.2.1
Darky's 9.5 Extreme ROM based on XWJS8 with Damian GTO kernel@1.2 GHz themed by "a theme of my own :P".
Simple as that, in the free world of AOSP...

urself25
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
That sucks but Thanks for the info!

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk