[REF][Guide/Tutorial] Getting Started Modding Your T-Mobile G2x
Getting Started Modding Your T-Mobile G2x
This is a Tutorial to assist new users on how to get up and going on a new ROM.
This tutorial is all based on you having a PC and an x64 or x86 based OS.
Please follow the below steps in order.
Root your Phone (for Froyo 2.2.2 only, or you can just skip this step and go to Step 2 if you intend on flashing a ROM straight off):
Flash ClockworkMod Recovery via NvFlash (You can use ROM Manager to install ROMS but CWM is not persistant unless you NvFlash it.):
- Please do not ask questions as I will not be supporting this tutorial. Post questions in G2x Q&A or the following linked XDA threads (Read instructions first please in the below linked threads).
1. Use the One-Click NvFlasher to flash the Clockwork Mod Recovery of your choosing (external or internal supported SD card)(Which will be persistent at bootup).
2. In your O/S install ROM Manager and once again choose to flash Clockwork Mod Recovery (which will NOT be persistent at bootup, but you can get to it through the O/S only using ROM Manager).
(You can use ROM Manager to flash ROMS / Download ROMS and Flash. And Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery using NvFlash
so you will also have the security that if your phone freezes or gets in a boot loop you can get to recovery through using the key press method.
Flashing CWM from ROM Manager will not allow you to get to recovery using the boot up button press method. It's a Tegra 2 chipset thing!)
Note: Mounting SD to your PC and ext4 support only works by booting to the NvFlashed CWN recovery and not going through ROM Managers CWM recovery. Are you confused? Hope not!
Perform a Titanium Backup or My Backup Pro of your Phone (you can skip this step if you prefer, and go to Step 4.):
- So Basically, I use ROM Manager to update my CM7 nightly build and I use the recovery that gets fake flashed by ROM Manager.
- I have the NvFlashed Recovery standing by when i want to do a Nandroid Backup/Restore or want to flash roms that are not in ROM Manager or Mount my SD Card from recovery, recover from a bad flashed ROM, etc...
1. Install Titanium Backup or My Backup Pro from Android Market.
2. Backup all of your apps.
3. Copy the "Titanium Backup" Directory from your internal SDCard to your External SDCard.
Perform a Nandroid Backup of your Phone (Optional but suggested before you flash any ROM or make any O/S changes):
1. Bootup to NvFlashed Clockwork Recovery using the button method.
2. Choose backup/restore and run a backup.
3. This will save the backup to your internal or external SD Card depending on which version of CWM you selected in the One-Click App.
Download a ROM and place it on the SDCard that you have ClockworkMod Recovery support for (see step2 link) and flash the ROM by booting into ClockworkMod Recovery using the button press method:
= NANDROID Restore Stock LG-P999-V10f
Froyo 2.22 (Stable)
= Bionix 2
/ Gingerbread 2.3.3 (Stable)
= Eagles Blood
/ Gingerbread 2.3.3 or Froyo 2.2.2 (Stable)
= Dark and Sinister
Froyo 2.2.2 (Stable)
= Gingerbread Leak LG-P999-V20c
Gingerbread 2.3.3 (Stable)
= CyanogenMod7 Nightly
/ Gingerbread 2.3.4 (Stable / Work In Progress) (My Daily Driver)
= Faux AOSP
/ Gingerbread 2.3.4 (Stable / Work In Progress)
Plus Many More......
Check the Development thread for all the available ROMS.
If you like my work, buy me a drink.
Google Android OS Rules!!!
My Phones and Tablets:
ASUS Eee Pad Transformer
T-Mobile Galaxy S III
T-Mobile Galaxy S IV
Nexus 7 2013
T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3
All Rooted and Romed Baby!!!! Yeah!!