[Guide] Reverse USB Tethering step by step
I was trying to find a way to connect my iconia via usb with my laptop and use my internet access for instances that wifi isn't available.
I searched a lot but there wasn't any usefull clear guide. So after some failing attempts, finally i managed to succeed (using win 7). Here are the steps:
*root is required*
1. install http://code.google.com/p/android-wired-tether/
(i used stable version 1.2 but i don't think 1.4 will make any problems) but do not enable it yet.
2. Install USB drivers from Android SDK instructions found here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html
, later you will also need RNDIS drivers because when you connect the tablet with your pc and enable wired tether it will install the drivers. I found working drivers from HTC sync located at C:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\Win7_x64\htcrndis.inf
you have to install them manually from the device manager (pick the: HTC Remote NDIS based device)
3. now that we have completed the installation with Wired Tether (still leave it running), we are ready to proceed to the next step. Open network connections. You will notice that now there is one more. (in my case no1 is local area and no2 local area 5 (the one wired tether created). select the connection you want to share go to properties and enter "sharing tab". tick "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" and pick the connection made by wired tether. Hit apply and you will have bridged the two connections.
4. open any emulator on your tablet and type:
ifconfig usb0 192.168.1.9 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add default gw 192.168.1.1 dev usb0
setprop net.dns1 184.108.40.206
setprop "net.gprs.http-proxy" ""
netcfg usb0 dhcp
at ifconfig command you enter an available ip of your router for example if your pc is connected to 192.168.1.7 you can pick 192.168.1.9 that is free.
at the second line enter the default gateway of your internet connection found under the detailed view of its options.
setprop "net.gprs.http-proxy" "" is in case you are NOT
behind a proxy server
5. wait about 15 seconds and...
each time you enable wired tether you have to type in:
netcfg usb0 dhcp
to undo the hole "reverse usb" thing, simply unbridge the 2 connections, restart wired tether and you are ready to use it for normal tethering.
browsers work fine, facebook, pulse, tunein. i haven't tested many apps yet...
issues: Market browsing is ok but downloading apps not, some apps do not work.
p.s: it's my first guide so if something seems confusing or unclear, please forgive me!