Thanks for the adb tutorial. I am running xubuntu on an old Dell Inspiron 1318.
Some tips I found help:
1. I used leafpad to create the 51_android... File
2. I added both "0x1949" and "1949" vendor IDs
3. As soon as I did this adb recognized my device in TWRP with a regular usb cable.
4. I had to execute each adb command with the "./" prefix, state such as "./adb devices"
5. I side loaded cm10 zip and rebooted in TWRP
6. Then I side loaded gapps zip and rebooted
Thanks Hascode, PowerPoint 45, and others!