Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,150 Members 44,093 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ClickCal

Tip us?

spfoo
Old
(Last edited by spfoo; 5th May 2011 at 06:47 AM.) Reason: Adding screenshots
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default ClickCal

I've been working on this app for some time. I'm aware of the risks in using non-public API parts eg. Android calendar, but I needed the app features myself and so did many of my friends. So I've published it as a free app on Android market and it's been well received, but every now and then I get another error message. As I don't have any information on the phone or OS in question it's really hard to figure out what could be wrong. I typically test apps on 3 phones that I have readily available (HTC Hero, LG Optimus, SE X10 Mini Pro) and with Android 2.1 & 2.2. It would be great to hear if this app works as it should on your phones and if it breaks where/how it happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monthly.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	587085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Agenda.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	587086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Event.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	587087   Click image for larger version

Name:	EditEvent.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	587088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image480x854.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	587089  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spfoo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

willverduzco
Old
(Last edited by willverduzco; 4th May 2011 at 09:13 PM.)
Portal Administrator
Thanks Meter 2839

DONATE TO ME
Your app looks quite useful.

Here's a clickable market link.

Do you mind adding some screenshots to your original post so we can get a better picture (pun intended)?

Edit: In case you don't add pics yourself, I've attached three from your market entry.
Edit 2: Here's the market description (for the lazy)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android Market Description
ClickCal is a perfect blog tool, personal, family and work calendar app that allows you to create events and tasks by taking photos and/or via voice recording. No typing is required to create an event. Snap a photo of a document and save - your event is ready. Use your phones built-in camera to scan your paper invitation, dentist appointment note, screen of an e-mail/web page and your event is ready. You can record a voice message to add to the event as well. Optionally you can select event type, choose the calendar, set date and time, and if you really want to type you can add a description and location.
Adds an icon that allows to quick add an event from the desktop.
Syncs with Google calendar. Note: event images and audio can not be viewed in other calendar applications as they do not support this feature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClickCal.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	586731  
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a news tip! - [moderate | film | foto | develop]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willverduzco For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spfoo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
The background of creating this app is that I got really tired of trying to manage our kitchen bulletin board. Full of paper docs of kids school stuff,sports events & other activities and naturally no sync with phone or other calendars. Typing in the info sounded like a nightmare. So I was thinking how I could get those digitalized easily. ClickCal solves that problem. Later a friend asked how she could handle taking notes of customer meetings while driving back from the meeting. I proposed adding an audio recording feature to ClickCal. Next feature coming up is being able to log the GPS/Wlan -based location with the event.

But I've been having some issues with sporadic error reports coming in - and I can't reproduce the errors as the app works fully on my 3 phones.
The Following User Says Thank You to spfoo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

billyp707
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I installed it to my epic 4g but will not open, say that i need to setup my google account (which i have) on my phone before using Clickcal???????
Epic 4g OG
CM 10
The Following User Says Thank You to billyp707 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

willverduzco
Old
Portal Administrator
Thanks Meter 2839

DONATE TO ME
Oh, and as a side note, I have featured this nice app on the XDA home page.
Want something on the XDA Portal? Send us a news tip! - [moderate | film | foto | develop]

spfoo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
I'm getting error messages a couple of times per week. Previously they were usually caused by Motorola having a different calendar provider address. Took me a while to figure out that they changed it back to the standard one when they moved from 2.1->2.2. That was finally solved with ClickCal version 1.6.2.

Samsung with 2.2.1 not working is news to me. The error message is probably caused by the app not finding Samsung's calendar provider. Haven't been able to test on 2.2.1 yet. So there's clearly more to the story. App testing is really the biggest issue with Android - many phones with variable screens and OS-versions.

Thanks for the testing. One step ahead.

spfoo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Just got an idea: some phones like Samsungs come with the manufacturers own calendar app. They might not be 100% compatible with the Google Android calendar.

Was the test with the pre-installed Samsung calendar or the Google standard one?

spfoo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Thanks - but a little bit too soon :) I'm still trying to figure a couple of reported issues.

project.in.process
Old
(Last edited by project.in.process; 5th May 2011 at 06:42 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
HTC Thunderbolt, 2.2 Stock

downloaded, installed, opened-- "No Calendars Available. No google calendars were found on your phone. you need to setup your google account on your phone before using ClickCal". application then closes. can't get past that text box.

i have at least 8 Google Calendars & have been using this phone since launch day 3 weeks ago, so my gmail account is setup on the phone successfully & all calendars can be viewed on the phone through the stock Calendar app.

Dev, please fix--i'm pretty curious about this app & its capabilities.
The Following User Says Thank You to project.in.process For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spfoo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Ok, thx for the feedback. Will work on this over the weekend. I was wondering that the retention rate was pretty low for an app I consider useful. Not wondering anymore if it doesn't even start up on some phones...

Anyway, I'm happy I found this site - without it I'd still be deep in the woods.

If you need note taking with the camera and/or audio recordings, but without the calendaring part I've also published ClickNote on android market. Based on the same principles, but no calendar. I haven't had any issues with ClickNote so far from any users.