5,594,386 Members 34,858 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Downloading Media DIRECTLY from Phone?

Tip us?

WP7SuperFan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] Downloading Media DIRECTLY from Phone?

Hello,
I really like this phone but there was something that was bothering me from day one. Is there anyway to download media/audio files DIRECTLY off the phone without the use of a computer? For example when my friend sends me an audio file as an attachment and I try to download it, it just opens and streams and if I leave the small app that it opens in it is gone. However, I want to be able to actually download the file and just listen to it offline in normal zune player. Is there any method/hack/homebrew todo this?

I have an LG Quantum unlocked

Thanks You!

CP-Geek
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Yes there is, look HERE, works for me. (Win7 64bit + WP7 HTC 7 Pro)
The Following User Says Thank You to CP-Geek For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

souljaboy
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-Geek View Post
Yes there is, look HERE, works for me. (Win7 64bit + WP7 HTC 7 Pro)
is it supposed to show up as a mass storage now ? i did the trick and it doesnt ... havent restarted comp tho

WP7SuperFan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks CP Geek for your reply. I am aware of that trick and it is great! However, that wasn't exactly what I meant. I meant that I am browsing the internet on my phone and trying to download an audio file to my phone's "Music and Video" hub. In other words I want to be able to download online audio files without the use of a computer at all...

Any takers on this?

deadwrong03
Old
Thanks Meter 5
at the moment i dont think this is possible ive asked this same question myself with no luck. The file thats streaming is on the device somewhere

this may help u out
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/general-wi...-internet.html

now im hoping that with mango or a future update they let u download files through the browser on my windows mobile i download rar, mp3 and zip files all the time and update my library all on my phone on the go without a computer, i hate being tied down to having to use a computer

WP7SuperFan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yeah that's exactly what I wanted todo Deadwrong.

I checked the thread it looks like they have some progress. Its unfortunate though that they don't have a full solution yet. I was actually thinking of taking a different approach on the matter. If we look at the registry it appears that there are some keys that tell the phone how to deal with PDFs and how to open them. There should be something for telling the OS how to interact with audio files as well. I was wondering maybe it is possible to change that to something that instructs it to download to Music and Videos.

nowei
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I would think if there's a way to buy music on the phone, then it'd just be a matter of knowing where on the phone to save the files and that would ope up a world of downloading or syncing possibilities outside of using the Zune software.