5,600,612 Members 34,044 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] NookHome - B&N Home Launcher

Tip us?

HamNCheese
Old
(Last edited by HamNCheese; 6th May 2011 at 01:16 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65

DONATE TO ME
Default [APP] NookHome - B&N Home Launcher

NOTE - this is for 1.2 Nootered devices only

Here's a free little app I wrote that I hope many of you will find useful...

Once you permanently set your home launcher to something other than the Barnes and Noble launcher, it can be difficult to switch back and forth. Apps like Home Switcher can do the job, but there's no easy way to create a direct shortcut to the B&N Home UI.

The B&N launcher is neat for organizing your book collection, but it sucks for organizing apps.

Likewise, 3rd party launchers are great at organizing and launching apps, but are lacking when it comes to managing your book library.

So, I present to you...

NookHome - a dedicated app to launch the Barnes and Noble Home app from your launcher of choice.

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?3ey4ddwmxiwl8hy

Launch the app, and the B&N home screen will appear. Like magic.

Enjoy!

Check out NookHome - B&N Home Launcher

Like my work? Buy me a beer *

* Actual alcoholic beverage selections may be subject to change without notice, and may include
Red Bull & Vodka, Bacardi Mojitos, bottles of wine for "the boss", or other products.
Brand and quality of beverges may be subject to funds availability.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to HamNCheese For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

calee2009
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not, but I installed it, tried to launch and I get nothing. Just goes back to my regular home screen. I'm running phiremod v6.2.

poofyhairguy
Old
Thanks Meter 95
I imagine this only works on the rooted stock OS.

DiscoPh3v3r
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by calee2009 View Post
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not, but I installed it, tried to launch and I get nothing. Just goes back to my regular home screen. I'm running phiremod v6.2.

Only works for rooted stock. Not nookie froyo, honeycomb, CM7, phiremod(CM7) nada, just (rooted)stock 1.1 or 1.2

HamNCheese
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoPh3v3r View Post
Only works for rooted stock. Not nookie froyo, honeycomb, CM7, phiremod(CM7) nada, just (rooted)stock 1.1 or 1.2
Correct. This does not install the B&N launcher on your device. It simply invokes the stock app that is already there, without going through the hassle of running something like Home Switcher to do so.

* Actual alcoholic beverage selections may be subject to change without notice, and may include
Red Bull & Vodka, Bacardi Mojitos, bottles of wine for "the boss", or other products.

doncaruana
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Thanks for doing this!

You know, the "Last Book" icon is one of my pet peeves and the fact that it works in 1.1 but not 1.01 (or 1.2 I hear). On my 1.01, as long as the home app is at least loaded, the last book icon works, but as soon as something unloads it, the icon doesn't work anymore.

On my 1.1, I can unload everything and the damned icon still works! As a matter of fact, if I use it, it loads the home app in the background.

I haven't put this on my 1.2 NC yet (still haven't rooted it) it but, and more to the point...

First, how do you get back to the default launcher if you use this? And, more importantly, will it leave the home launcher running in the background or flat out unload it? If it leaves it running then I can have my last book icon working and be happy!

Don't know what instore access is like but wondering if the home app is key to that as well...

bikercr
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Great little app! After using it and switching back to Zeam, the last-read book icon is reset and works. Brilliant.

Sent from my NOOKcolor using XDA Premium App

Bobioden
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Great app. Thanks for sharing. This was exactly what I was looking for.

HamNCheese
Old
(Last edited by HamNCheese; 6th May 2011 at 06:21 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaruana View Post
Thanks for doing this!

You know, the "Last Book" icon is one of my pet peeves and the fact that it works in 1.1 but not 1.01 (or 1.2 I hear). On my 1.01, as long as the home app is at least loaded, the last book icon works, but as soon as something unloads it, the icon doesn't work anymore.

On my 1.1, I can unload everything and the damned icon still works! As a matter of fact, if I use it, it loads the home app in the background.
This is something I plan to address soon. The B&N Home app has to be running in order for this to work right at the moment. If it is not started (or is killed by you or the system) it stops working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaruana View Post
Thanks for doing this!

First, how do you get back to the default launcher if you use this? And, more importantly, will it leave the home launcher running in the background or flat out unload it? If it leaves it running then I can have my last book icon working and be happy!

Don't know what instore access is like but wondering if the home app is key to that as well...
When you hit the "n" key for the first time, Android will display the "which app do you want to use to complete this action" dialog. Most people have chosen Zeam, ADW, or some other launcher - when you check the box to make the selection permanent, it becomes impossible (without another app or hacking in the development menu) to return to the B&H Nome screen.

So, the idea here is you install this app, then you can have one-click access to B&N via the home screen, dock, whatever, of your "preferred" launcher. That is assigned to the "n" key.

"n" key (from any app, including B&N Launcher) --> Launcher
NookHome (from Launcher) --> B&N Launcher
and so on...

doncaruana
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamNCheese View Post
This is something I plan to address soon. The B&N Home app has to be running in order for this to work right at the moment. If it is not started (or is killed by you or the system) it stops working.
Been driving me crazy. I've decompiled all the code, cruised through the reader app, the status bar, etc. I'd love to help, but you're probably already 10 steps ahead (at least) of where I am.