5,599,337 Members 38,314 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Using phone as a wireless repeater?

Tip us?

tys901
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Using phone as a wireless repeater?

I have a HTC Desire using 2.2.

The place I'm currently at has a public network that for some reason has troubles giving BOTH my laptops IP addresses. When I do get IP addresses they expire in 12 hours and sometimes can get a new one, sometimes cannot. Unfortunately I have no way to get any IT support. I suspect it's an router issue but I can't get to it.

Anyways, my phone has no troubles getting on WiFi. I was wondering if there is anyway to get the phone to act as a repeater when using it as a hotspot. I want to use the public WiFI available, not my 3G connection.

Ashar
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tys901 View Post
I have a HTC Desire using 2.2.

The place I'm currently at has a public network that for some reason has troubles giving BOTH my laptops IP addresses. When I do get IP addresses they expire in 12 hours and sometimes can get a new one, sometimes cannot. Unfortunately I have no way to get any IT support. I suspect it's an router issue but I can't get to it.

Anyways, my phone has no troubles getting on WiFi. I was wondering if there is anyway to get the phone to act as a repeater when using it as a hotspot. I want to use the public WiFI available, not my 3G connection.
you can use your cell as repeater without any additional software, just enable usb tethering in mobile and connect through usb cable with your laptop and enjoy internet on your laptop. (but remember to disable sim data connection (3g 0r 2g) in settings then it will use your wireless internet)