Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Market enabler for WIFI Xoom?

OP blue13x

6th May 2011, 04:14 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 43
 
278 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Isnt there a way to trick Android Market for wifi devices? Market enabler only seems to work for device with mobile internet (3g, gsm etc).

Any one have an idea?
6th May 2011, 09:35 AM   |  #2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
I am not sure what you mean, Android's Market its fully functional and available out of the box with the WiFi Xoom.
6th May 2011, 10:53 AM   |  #3  
musashiken's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 91
 
1,180 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by eusthebest

I am not sure what you mean, Android's Market its fully functional and available out of the box with the WiFi Xoom.


There are apps that can only be downloaded by US Android users. Like Google Books, Earth, Kindle just to name a few. People outside US are not able to download such apps because they are country restricted. This means that google identifies the country the device is in by checking the Carrier ID of the phone through the sim card. So some folks have made the app Market Enabler to allow rooted 3G phones to emulate a US Carrier thus bypassing the country check and enabling non US folks to download those apps.

Seems like this doesn't work for wifi only devices since there's no sim card id in the first place.
Last edited by musashiken; 6th May 2011 at 10:57 AM.
6th May 2011, 11:31 AM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
34 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
More
yes, i'm looking for something similar. there should be a way to allow mock locations with the xoom wifi and make it think that its in a different area than it actually is.
6th May 2011, 02:20 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 43
 
278 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Exactly, It's a suprise that there isn't such a thing considering the steady stream of wifi only devices being sold outside the US. A huge market that can add some additonal support to devs for there hardwork. We really need this.
6th May 2011, 03:34 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 43
 
278 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
More info that I found on another forum that might be helpfull. Any idea if this will this work?


Quote:

I got the US apps working too!

I replaced the build.prop file


adb pull /sytem/build.prop d:\

Make a backup of this

Download the file below

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6763988/build.prop.zip


adb push build.prop system/

reboot the xoom



Download paid apps enabler: http://www.cohortor.org/paidappsenab...abler_v1.1.apk

Set the country as Us T-mobile

Got to Application settings and and clear data

Restart Market

7th May 2011, 12:56 AM   |  #7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken

There are apps that can only be downloaded by US Android users. Like Google Books, Earth, Kindle just to name a few. People outside US are not able to download such apps because they are country restricted. This means that google identifies the country the device is in by checking the Carrier ID of the phone through the sim card. So some folks have made the app Market Enabler to allow rooted 3G phones to emulate a US Carrier thus bypassing the country check and enabling non US folks to download those apps.

Seems like this doesn't work for wifi only devices since there's no sim card id in the first place.

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification.
7th May 2011, 03:59 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 43
 
278 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Succes!!!

This worked. I used root explorer to copy the 3G Xoom Build prop and now I have a fully working market and was finally able to purchase Tweetcomb.
Last edited by blue13x; 7th May 2011 at 04:20 AM.
7th May 2011, 09:02 AM   |  #9  
huzz's Avatar
Senior Member
AlAin
Thanks Meter: 65
 
408 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2005
Its funny but I just used market enabler and it worked. Didn't have to replace any files :/
7th May 2011, 06:25 PM   |  #10  
HooliganBG's Avatar
Member
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 2
 
59 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzz

Its funny but I just used market enabler and it worked. Didn't have to replace any files :/

yeap, me to

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes