Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,371 Members 38,665 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Market enabler for WIFI Xoom?

Tip us?

blue13x
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Default Market enabler for WIFI Xoom?

Isnt there a way to trick Android Market for wifi devices? Market enabler only seems to work for device with mobile internet (3g, gsm etc).

Any one have an idea?

eusthebest
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I am not sure what you mean, Android's Market its fully functional and available out of the box with the WiFi Xoom.

musashiken
Old
(Last edited by musashiken; 6th May 2011 at 09:57 AM.)
Thanks Meter 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by eusthebest View Post
I am not sure what you mean, Android's Market its fully functional and available out of the box with the WiFi Xoom.

There are apps that can only be downloaded by US Android users. Like Google Books, Earth, Kindle just to name a few. People outside US are not able to download such apps because they are country restricted. This means that google identifies the country the device is in by checking the Carrier ID of the phone through the sim card. So some folks have made the app Market Enabler to allow rooted 3G phones to emulate a US Carrier thus bypassing the country check and enabling non US folks to download those apps.

Seems like this doesn't work for wifi only devices since there's no sim card id in the first place.
My Devices and their Brains:

Oneplus One 64 GB Chinese Ver. - CM11S + Root
HTC One 64 GB - InsertCoin Rom / ViperOne
Google Nexus 10 - OmniROM
Google Galaxy Nexus - **Cataclysm** Rom 4.2.1
Motorola Xoom Wifi - CM10 Nightly
Google Nexus One - Evervolv Jellybean 4.1

gigafast
Old
Thanks Meter 2
yes, i'm looking for something similar. there should be a way to allow mock locations with the xoom wifi and make it think that its in a different area than it actually is.

blue13x
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Exactly, It's a suprise that there isn't such a thing considering the steady stream of wifi only devices being sold outside the US. A huge market that can add some additonal support to devs for there hardwork. We really need this.

blue13x
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
More info that I found on another forum that might be helpfull. Any idea if this will this work?

Quote:
I got the US apps working too!

I replaced the build.prop file

adb pull /sytem/build.prop d:\

Make a backup of this

Download the file below

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6763988/build.prop.zip

adb push build.prop system/

reboot the xoom

Download paid apps enabler: http://www.cohortor.org/paidappsenab...abler_v1.1.apk

Set the country as Us T-mobile

Got to Application settings and and clear data

Restart Market

eusthebest
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
There are apps that can only be downloaded by US Android users. Like Google Books, Earth, Kindle just to name a few. People outside US are not able to download such apps because they are country restricted. This means that google identifies the country the device is in by checking the Carrier ID of the phone through the sim card. So some folks have made the app Market Enabler to allow rooted 3G phones to emulate a US Carrier thus bypassing the country check and enabling non US folks to download those apps.

Seems like this doesn't work for wifi only devices since there's no sim card id in the first place.
Oh ok, thanks for the clarification.

blue13x
Old
(Last edited by blue13x; 7th May 2011 at 03:20 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Succes!!!

This worked. I used root explorer to copy the 3G Xoom Build prop and now I have a fully working market and was finally able to purchase Tweetcomb.

huzz
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Its funny but I just used market enabler and it worked. Didn't have to replace any files :/
Device #1 64GB Sandstone black
Device #2 iPhone 5s 64GB Space Gray
Device #3 Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB

Screenshot.
-

HTC One M8 16GB Gun Metal Gray *Handed Down*
Nexus 5 16GB *Sold*

HooliganBG
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzz View Post
Its funny but I just used market enabler and it worked. Didn't have to replace any files :/
yeap, me to
Sony Xperia Z2 | Moto G 8GB