[FAQ] Cyanogenmod 7 by Quarx

Search This thread

antony.ps

Feb 22, 2011
Florianópolis
Thanks Quarx, Epsylon3 and maniacc103 for all your hard work in CM7.

** Always start the procedures with 80% - full charge (don't worry if your battery die during the process, you can still go mcgyver =)
** Make a backup of your apk's, There's a lot of programs to do that (File Explorer, AndroZip, AppMonster, etc.). If you want to backup your configurations too, use Titanium Backup.
** If you have any problem, don't blame CyanogenMod Team, Quarx, Epsylon3, the FAQ or whatever. This ROM works, if it's not working for you, it's mostly because you used wrong versions or are doing something wrong. For real bugs, use github **

ALWAYS USE THE RECOMMENDED VERSIONS

ESSENTIAL DOWNLOAD LINKS:
- RSD Lite and Motorola Drivers
- 3.4.2-179-2 CEE DEBLUR
- SuperOneClick 2.1
- http://www.defy-cm.net/tools/SndInitDefy_2.0.apk]Defy 2ndinit 2.0
- CyanogenMod 7.1
- Google Apps

1) What SBF version should I use when flashing CM7.1?
2) How can I install CM7.1?
3) How to update from/to nightly's?
4) My market is not downloading/installing any program. What to do?
5) Flashed CM7.1 (or any other ROM) now i'm stuck at Motorola or CyanogenMod logo. What I have to do?
6) Can I restore my phone to send it to warranty after flashing CM7.1?
7) How to install CM7.1 and keep downgrade-ability? (Froyo or Eclair)
8) Can't connect to my wireless network.
9) I love this ROM, how can I help Quarx and Epsylon?
10) How can I install Defy 2nd Init?
12) Gmail (or any other software) isn't available on market. How can I install it?
13) How can I make GPS work better (be more fast and precise)?
14) How can I install swype in CM7.1?
15) How to overclock/undervolt in CM7.1?
16) My GoogleMaps (or other application that uses OpenGL) is freezing/irresponsive. What can I do?

- You can use whatever Froyo (2.2.x) you want. I'm actually using CEE 3.4.2-179-2 as a base, but you can use SEA or any other.

- Copy update-cm-7.1.0-11-Defy-signed.zip and gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip to your SD Card
- Enable USB Debugging
- Root via SuperOneClick
- Reboot
- Install 2ndInit Recovey, go to the app and click "Install 2ndInit Recovery" (use the latest version) button
- Disable USB Debugging
- Reboot, and in Bootmenu select Recovery -> [Custom Recovery] or [Latest Recovery]
- Select "wipe cache partition" then "wipe data/factory reset"
- Select "install zip from sdcard", "choose zip from sdcard", then select "update-cm-7.1.0-11-Defy-signed.zip"
- Select "choose zip from sdcard", then select "gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip"
** You can install any other patches that you have now, like Swype or GPS Fix **
- Select "+++++Go Back++++++" then "reboot your system now"
** Sometimes, during the first boot after installation, the bootanimation doesn't stop. If you dont see anymore a led activity, remove your battery and reboot

- Copy update-cm-7.1.0-11-Defy-signed.zip (or the nightly), gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip to your SD Card
- Reboot and go to Bootmenu (wait for led turn blue then press Volume Down). Enter Recovery -> Custom Recovery
- Select "wipe cache" then go to "advanced", select "wipe dalvik cache"
** If you have 100% battery, algo in advanced select "wipe battery stats" to calibrate your battery **
- Go back, select "install zip from sdcard", "choose zip from sdcard", then select "update-cm-7.1.0-11-Defy-signed.zip" (or the nightly)

- Just log in Google Talk

5) Flashed CM7.1 (or any other ROM) now i'm stuck at Motorola or Cyanogen logo. What I have to do?
- Go to Custom Recovery then clear cache. If the problem persists, you can try to wipe dalvik cache (in advanced) too. The next boot will take some time to build dalvik cache again. If you don't have Custom Recovery for some reason, power off your phone, press and hold Volume Down + Power to go to Stock Recovery (only to clear cache/wipe data). Use Volume Up + Volume Down to show the options at Stock Recovery.
- Some people related freeze on the first boot of CM7.1, just remove your battery ans try again.

- You can in these two situations
1 - You have a full SBF of your original ROM (for carriers that already released 2.2 is very easy to find one)
2 - You have a nandroid backup AND a fixed SBF of the version you need.
For a list of (fixed) SBF's you can check:
SBF - Service Flash - all files + fixed sbf + Bootloaders
[[sbf:defy]] And Developers

If you don't flash the full SBF, your downgrade-ablility is fine.
Here's the safe steps to install CM7.1 and keep your downgrade-ability:
- Copy nandroid backup of 3.4.2-179-2 CEE to your sdcard. Uncompress it in the folder clockworkmod/backup/ of your sdcard, create this if needed.
- Enable USB Debug
- Root via SuperOneClick
- Disable USB Debugging
- Install Defy 2nd Init
- Reboot to enter Bootmenu, then go to Custom Recovery
- In Custom Recovery, go to "backup and restore", then "Backup". This will take some time, your backup will be at /clockworkmod/backup. Copy it to a safe place.
- Still in recovery, go to "backup and restore", "restore", and select the nandroid backup of 3.4.2-179-2 CEE (not your backup!)
If you have MD5 mismatch error, try to rename the folder of the nandroid to something simple without spaces, like "nand"
- Reboot your system and immediately press and hold Volume Up to enter Bootloader Mode (if you couldn't enter, remove the battery, wait 10s, put it again with Power and Volume Up pressed)
- Flash Fixed SBF of 3.4.2-179-2 CEE via RSD Lite
Now go to question 2 and do all the process to install CM7.1.
If you want to go back to your original ROM
- Disable USB Debuging
- Copy your nandroid backup to your SD Card, put it in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup (must be a folder with simple name inside backup)
- Reboot phone in Bootmenu (Volume Down when the blue led lights at Motorola logo) then go to Custom Recovery
- Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache (in advanced)
- Choose "backup and restore", "restore", and select your eclair nandroid backup. If your backup doesn't show in this screen, is most likely you placed it in the wrong folder.
- Reboot your system and immediately press and hold Volume Up to enter Bootloader Mode.
6. Flash the Fixed SBF of your original ROM. For a list of (fixed) SBF's you can check:

- Tap and hold the SSID of the network and select Forget. Try to configure the SSID again.

Donate to Quarx
Moneybookers: quarx2000@gmail.com
WebMoney: USD:Z319203344726
Yandex money: 4100188263979
And donate to Epsylon3 (tpruvot)

http://www.defy-cm.net/tools/SndInitDefy_2.0.apk

11) Gmail (or any other software) isn't available on market. How can I install it?
- Download MarketEnabler via Market
- Select US Provider (T-Mobile)
- Open Market and search for Gmail or any other software, it will be available now
- Don't forget to select your correct Baseband in Applications => Defy Baseband Switcher

12) How can I make GPS work better?
- Make a backup of your /etc/gps.conf (use a file manager to rename or copy to another place)
- Visit this thread
- Click in the link "XDA Members Click Here" at the final of the post, and search for the correct .zip for your country
- Copy the .zip to your SD Card and reboot in Bootmenu, then flash the zip via Custom Recovery

13) How can I install swype in CM7.1?
- Go to http://beta.swype.com, (create a account if needed), download the Swype Beta and install it
- Open Applications -> Swype Installer and follow the instructions on the screen

14) How to overclock/undervolt in CM7.1?
CM7.1 already comes with 1000/600/300 clock, but if you want to modify these settings or undervolt:
- Reboot and enter Bootmenu
- System -> Overclock
- Set your parameters and select [save] before exit.
Remember that if you experience freezes, reboots and other problems, OC/UV can be the cause. Try to disable in this situation.
Also, DON'T INSTALL SETVSEL!

15) My GoogleMaps (or other application that uses OpenGL) is freezing/irresponsive. What can I do?
Open terminal or adb shell and type these commands:
Code:
$ su
# mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
# echo sysctl -w vm.min_free_kbytes=4096 >> /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
# chmod 744 /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
# mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

I'm a newbie, so any help to complete this FAQ will be welcome =)
And sorry for my english =S

Thanks to everyone that helped me in this FAQ, sending suggestions and fixes.

Last edited:

rumcajsz

Aug 18, 2010
Budapest
3) How to update from Beta 4.0/4.1?

- Copy Fix.zip, CM7 and Google Apps to your SD Card.
- Reboot your Defy then go to Bootmenu (blue light at Motorola logo) then Custom Recovery
- There's no need to wipe data/cache!
- Select "install zip from sdcard", "choose zip from sdcard", then select "Fix.zip"
- Select "choose zip from sdcard", then select "update-beta5-cm7.1.0-03.05.11-Defy.zip"
- Select "choose zip from sdcard", then select "gapps gb 20110503 signed.zip"

I think, after flashhing fix.zip need a reboot:

Update to Beta5:
Before update you need install fix.zip and after reboot you can flash new version.
If you do not, then you get an error when installing the new version. And you will need to reflash with RSD.

DrogenDiego

Mar 14, 2008
I think we should better start a wiki that way everybody can contribute ;)
Can we create pages on the XDA Wiki? Dunno how to but I think that's easier for everyone!

wyxpark

Oct 3, 2009
New York
I'm on the US official Froyo() currently, and since the aGPS has been fixed, I'm planning to go for the CM7 made by Quarx.

Before I do, I've got a little concern. If I follow the normal procedures to flash CM7, am I able to go back to the Official Froyo I currently use? I ask because there is no SBF for this official US Froyo, there is only leaked version and the OTA.

Last edited:

seukumeama

Jan 22, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
you tuto is perfect , but the gapps has a new version , try update

boa mlk exelente topicuuu mas tu viu q o gapps ta velho saiu uma nova esse mes com o app do 2.3.4 se quiser o link pede

antony.ps

Feb 22, 2011
Florianópolis
I'm on the US official Froyo() currently, and since the aGPS has been fixed, I'm planning to go for the CM7 made by Quarx.

Before I do, I've got a little concern. If I follow the normal procedures to flash CM7, am I able to go back to the Official Froyo I currently use? I ask because there is no SBF for this official US Froyo, there is only leaked version and the OTA.

Item 7 of the FAQ. You will only need a fixed SBF version that matches the number of your original ROM, there`s no need to be the same ROM. These parameters will be overrided by the parameters in your nandroid backup (version and name of your original Froyo).

FAQ Updated to Beta 5.1 (thanks Quarx!) and 2nd Init Recovery Installer 1.4 (thanks pedrodh!)

Last edited:

abhi.eternal

Jan 25, 2011
Bangalore
abhijeetdeb.com
One question: How do I install Custom Recovery / Clockworkmod?!!

I am trying to do step 7 but I am stuck :( I am unable to install Bootmenu+Clockworkmod that Quarx provided. If I use Root Explorer to install, it will not install as after reboot I don't see the System Recovery app; I have tried installing via emulator as well but same result. (I dunno which folder to extract the files to. I have even copied to the root folder and the install.sh seemed to execute but after restart it dint work and weirdly the copied folder also vanished!)

I, however, managed to take a nandroid backup of my system using DEFY SD-Recovery. However, if I try to restore the "nandroid backup of 3.4.2-177" I get md5 mismatch and the process aborts :( NOTE: I cannot move folders if I use this app; so instead of clockworkmod/backup/ I have to use goapkrev/backup

I am unable to proceed unless I perform the restore. Can someone help me with step-by-step solution for installing Clockworkmod Recovery, and also 2nd Init / Bootmenu as that is needed for the next step? Thanks!

AgentSmith

Feb 22, 2006
using 2nd Init Recovery, so nothing to do with locked bootloader :)

@antony.ps : nice tutorial :rolleyes:
Since we're in the FAQ-topic here can you or someone else give a little explanation what 2nd Init actually does? I'm guessing it sort of circumvents some limitations by the bootloader.

However, if I try to restore the "nandroid backup of 3.4.2-177" I get md5 mismatch and the process aborts
This has been mentioned already about 1000 times by now on this forum ;) but the simple solution is to remove all the spaces from the folder name. Easiest is to use short simple folder names such as "nand" or something else that makes sense to you.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks Quarx, Epsylon3 and maniacc103 for all your hard work in CM7.

** Always start the procedures with 80% - full charge (don't worry if your battery die during the process, you can still go mcgyver =)
    ** Make a backup of your apk's, There's a lot of programs to do that (File Explorer, AndroZip, AppMonster, etc.). If you want to backup your configurations too, use Titanium Backup.
    ** If you have any problem, don't blame CyanogenMod Team, Quarx, Epsylon3, the FAQ or whatever. This ROM works, if it's not working for you, it's mostly because you used wrong versions or are doing something wrong. For real bugs, use github **

ALWAYS USE THE RECOMMENDED VERSIONS

ESSENTIAL DOWNLOAD LINKS:
    - RSD Lite and Motorola Drivers
    - 3.4.2-179-2 CEE DEBLUR
    - SuperOneClick 2.1
    - http://www.defy-cm.net/tools/SndInitDefy_2.0.apk]Defy 2ndinit 2.0
    - CyanogenMod 7.1
    - Google Apps

5) Flashed CM7.1 (or any other ROM) now i'm stuck at Motorola or CyanogenMod logo. What I have to do?
    12) Gmail (or any other software) isn't available on market. How can I install it?
    13) How can I make GPS work better (be more fast and precise)?
    14) How can I install swype in CM7.1?
    15) How to overclock/undervolt in CM7.1?
    16) My GoogleMaps (or other application that uses OpenGL) is freezing/irresponsive. What can I do?

- You can use whatever Froyo (2.2.x) you want. I'm actually using CEE 3.4.2-179-2 as a base, but you can use SEA or any other.

- Copy update-cm-7.1.0-11-Defy-signed.zip and gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip to your SD Card
    - Enable USB Debugging
    - Root via SuperOneClick
    - Reboot
    - Install 2ndInit Recovey, go to the app and click "Install 2ndInit Recovery" (use the latest version) button
    - Disable USB Debugging
    - Reboot, and in Bootmenu select Recovery -> [Custom Recovery] or [Latest Recovery]
    - Select "wipe cache partition" then "wipe data/factory reset"
    - Select "install zip from sdcard", "choose zip from sdcard", then select "update-cm-7.1.0-11-Defy-signed.zip"
    ** You can install any other patches that you have now, like Swype or GPS Fix **
    ** Sometimes, during the first boot after installation, the bootanimation doesn't stop. If you dont see anymore a led activity, remove your battery and reboot

- Copy update-cm-7.1.0-11-Defy-signed.zip (or the nightly), gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip to your SD Card
    - Reboot and go to Bootmenu (wait for led turn blue then press Volume Down). Enter Recovery -> Custom Recovery
    - Select "wipe cache" then go to "advanced", select "wipe dalvik cache"
    ** If you have 100% battery, algo in advanced select "wipe battery stats" to calibrate your battery **
    - Go back, select "install zip from sdcard", "choose zip from sdcard", then select "update-cm-7.1.0-11-Defy-signed.zip" (or the nightly)

- Just log in Google Talk

5) Flashed CM7.1 (or any other ROM) now i'm stuck at Motorola or Cyanogen logo. What I have to do?
    - Go to Custom Recovery then clear cache. If the problem persists, you can try to wipe dalvik cache (in advanced) too. The next boot will take some time to build dalvik cache again. If you don't have Custom Recovery for some reason, power off your phone, press and hold Volume Down + Power to go to Stock Recovery (only to clear cache/wipe data). Use Volume Up + Volume Down to show the options at Stock Recovery.
    - Some people related freeze on the first boot of CM7.1, just remove your battery ans try again.

- You can in these two situations
    1 - You have a full SBF of your original ROM (for carriers that already released 2.2 is very easy to find one)
    2 - You have a nandroid backup AND a fixed SBF of the version you need.
    For a list of (fixed) SBF's you can check:

If you don't flash the full SBF, your downgrade-ablility is fine.
    Here's the safe steps to install CM7.1 and keep your downgrade-ability:
    - Copy nandroid backup of 3.4.2-179-2 CEE to your sdcard. Uncompress it in the folder clockworkmod/backup/ of your sdcard, create this if needed.
    - Enable USB Debug
    - Root via SuperOneClick
    - Disable USB Debugging
    - Install Defy 2nd Init
    - Reboot to enter Bootmenu, then go to Custom Recovery
    - In Custom Recovery, go to "backup and restore", then "Backup". This will take some time, your backup will be at /clockworkmod/backup. Copy it to a safe place.
    - Still in recovery, go to "backup and restore", "restore", and select the nandroid backup of 3.4.2-179-2 CEE (not your backup!)
    If you have MD5 mismatch error, try to rename the folder of the nandroid to something simple without spaces, like "nand"
    - Reboot your system and immediately press and hold Volume Up to enter Bootloader Mode (if you couldn't enter, remove the battery, wait 10s, put it again with Power and Volume Up pressed)
    - Flash Fixed SBF of 3.4.2-179-2 CEE via RSD Lite
    Now go to question 2 and do all the process to install CM7.1.
    If you want to go back to your original ROM
    - Disable USB Debuging
    - Copy your nandroid backup to your SD Card, put it in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup (must be a folder with simple name inside backup)
    - Reboot phone in Bootmenu (Volume Down when the blue led lights at Motorola logo) then go to Custom Recovery
    - Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache (in advanced)
    - Choose "backup and restore", "restore", and select your eclair nandroid backup. If your backup doesn't show in this screen, is most likely you placed it in the wrong folder.
    - Reboot your system and immediately press and hold Volume Up to enter Bootloader Mode.
    6. Flash the Fixed SBF of your original ROM. For a list of (fixed) SBF's you can check:

- Tap and hold the SSID of the network and select Forget. Try to configure the SSID again.

Donate to Quarx
    Moneybookers: quarx2000@gmail.com
    WebMoney: USD:Z319203344726
    Yandex money: 4100188263979
    And donate to Epsylon3 (tpruvot)

http://www.defy-cm.net/tools/SndInitDefy_2.0.apk

11) Gmail (or any other software) isn't available on market. How can I install it?
    - Download MarketEnabler via Market
    - Select US Provider (T-Mobile)
    - Open Market and search for Gmail or any other software, it will be available now
    - Don't forget to select your correct Baseband in Applications => Defy Baseband Switcher

12) How can I make GPS work better?
    - Make a backup of your /etc/gps.conf (use a file manager to rename or copy to another place)
    - Visit this thread
    - Click in the link "XDA Members Click Here" at the final of the post, and search for the correct .zip for your country
    - Copy the .zip to your SD Card and reboot in Bootmenu, then flash the zip via Custom Recovery

13) How can I install swype in CM7.1?
    - Go to http://beta.swype.com, (create a account if needed), download the Swype Beta and install it
    - Open Applications -> Swype Installer and follow the instructions on the screen

14) How to overclock/undervolt in CM7.1?
    CM7.1 already comes with 1000/600/300 clock, but if you want to modify these settings or undervolt:
    - Reboot and enter Bootmenu
    - System -> Overclock
    - Set your parameters and select [save] before exit.
    Remember that if you experience freezes, reboots and other problems, OC/UV can be the cause. Try to disable in this situation.
    Also, DON'T INSTALL SETVSEL!

15) My GoogleMaps (or other application that uses OpenGL) is freezing/irresponsive. What can I do?
    Open terminal or adb shell and type these commands:
    Code:
    $ su
    # mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    # echo sysctl -w vm.min_free_kbytes=4096 >> /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    # chmod 744 /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    # mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

I'm a newbie, so any help to complete this FAQ will be welcome =)
    And sorry for my english =S

Thanks to everyone that helped me in this FAQ, sending suggestions and fixes.
    3) How to update from Beta 4.0/4.1?

- Copy Fix.zip, CM7 and Google Apps to your SD Card.
    - Reboot your Defy then go to Bootmenu (blue light at Motorola logo) then Custom Recovery
    - There's no need to wipe data/cache!
    - Select "install zip from sdcard", "choose zip from sdcard", then select "Fix.zip"
    - Select "choose zip from sdcard", then select "update-beta5-cm7.1.0-03.05.11-Defy.zip"
    - Select "choose zip from sdcard", then select "gapps gb 20110503 signed.zip"

I think, after flashhing fix.zip need a reboot:

Update to Beta5:
    Before update you need install fix.zip and after reboot you can flash new version.
    If you do not, then you get an error when installing the new version. And you will need to reflash with RSD.
    You can use any Froyo of your choice.

@jjp84 yes, i have done this on my Defy and it works perfectly.
    :) Thx for the post.
    Guys, I desperately need help. I followed the guide to install CM7.1 nightly into my Defy and at the end I got the CM7 logo loop. I then took out the battery and put it back and now it's stuck at the small "Google" logo. I took out the battery again and went to the system recovery to wipe cache/factory reset. I got bunch of mount cache errors (command, log). I then went to the custom recovery and did the wipe cache again, this time, the there were some "open" and "mount" cache. I did it one more time and all of these errors gone. Booted it up again, and it still stucked at the "Google" screen so I went into the custom recovery trying to wipe dalvik cache. Select that but nothing happened. No question asked to confirm and all it did was bring the cursor/highlight up to the option above it "Motorola Recovery".
    Any helps would be highly appreciated !!!
    I agree, start from scratch. You did the wipe data/factory reset in Stock (Motorola) Recovery so you killed your Custom Recovery. If you installed CM7, never wipe anything in Stock Recovery (!!), use stable/Custom Recovery.