Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,870 Members 49,716 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Any way to tether TF with Android Phone after Carriers' Crackdown on Tethering?

Tip us?

doronster195
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Question [Q] Any way to tether TF with Android Phone after Carriers' Crackdown on Tethering?

Is there Any way to tether TF with Android Phone after Carriers' Crackdown on Tethering?

I have all the apps i could possibly need installed on my phone, yet even after paired with my transformer via BT, and the transformer showing it being connected to the internet. I get 0 data going from my phone to transformer.

I've tried PDAnet 3.0, Barnacle and WIFI Tether. No dice.

And you can rule out not knowing how to do it, I've been tethering for the past year only started being an issue after the crackdown.

lithiasalesjs
Old
Thanks Meter 4
3G Hotspot Hack

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

MONSTERANDROID

ASUS EEE PAD TRANSFORMER

0423 Prime v1.2
Netformer v1.1 Kernel @ 1.4 GHZ
Honeycomb Home Buttons
Honeycomb Boot Animation
Custom Clock Fonts

MOTOROLA DROID X

Gingerbread
Overclocked 1.4 GHZ
3G Mobile Hot Spot Hack

doronster195
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Not sure what you mean by 3g Hack... but i found something that works. Freezing data manager service with Titanium made everything work again. How exciting! Though, i think data transfer is super slow...

wilbur-force
Old
(Last edited by wilbur-force; 6th May 2011 at 09:56 AM.)
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
Have I missed something? Crackdown on tethering?

Edit : looks like its US only at the mo.

Can a carrier tell if data is from the phone or via tethering????
Saying "Thank You" is free and only a button-click away ....

Nexus 7 - 16gb
ASUS Transformer 16gb wifi (TF101)

Nexus 5 (Three) - 4.4.2

MK802 vIII
MK802 vII
Samsung Galaxy S3 - (Three) - wifeys phone
2 x LG Nexus 4 - (Three) - kids phones
Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Defy, HTC Desire & HTC Raphael - (T-Mobile MDA Vario IV) - now spare backup phones

Jocelyn
Old
(Last edited by Jocelyn; 6th May 2011 at 09:59 AM.)
Thanks Meter 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by doronster195 View Post
Is there Any way to tether TF with Android Phone after Carriers' Crackdown on Tethering?
One word: Sprint

Sent from my Asus Decepticon using Tapatalk

graffixnyc
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4591

DONATE TO ME
I tether just fine on my mytouch 4g running cyanogen mod 7. I dont think carriers notice if you tether another android device because on their end it just looks like an android device accessing it, not a laptop or such. I think they check user agent strings. I've honestly never had a problem tethering on TMO and never got any text or anything about it being blocked. I do keep an eye on my data usage just to make sure I dont raise any red flags in their system. I havent tried tethering my laptop since the crackdown but I did install a plug in for firefox that allows you to change the user agent string so the servers think it's an android device accessing the network

One day some of the kids from the neighborhood carried my mother's groceries all the way home. You know why? It was outta respect." -Henry Hill

Devices:

Current Phones:
HTC One M8 Gray 32GB + 128GB SD
Oppo Find 7a 16GB + 64GB Card
OnePlus One

Current Tablets:
Sony Z Ultra GPe (Phone but use as a tablet)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition 32gb

All new members should watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvCpR45LKA

Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/graffixnyc

G+: http://gplus.to/graffixnyc

cardman827
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Hey Guys, been following this thread since I ordered from Best Buy, finally decided to join and post. I have mine coming on the 12th hopefully.

I read about the crackdown on tethering but from what I understand they are just making the tethering apps not show up in the market, they are not necessarily doing anything to prevent tethering.

I am currently using wireless tethering on my droid 2 with the Ipad 1 and have been for quite some time without a problem. Hope that helps and love this forum, thanks guys...

deymayor
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Tethering with my iPhone via bluetooth. So far, no warrant of arrest yet from AT&T.

kingwp1
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by doronster195 View Post

I have all the apps i could possibly need installed on my phone, yet even after paired with my transformer via BT, and the transformer showing it being connected to the internet. I get 0 data going from my phone to transformer.

I've tried PDAnet 3.0, Barnacle and WIFI Tether. No dice.

And you can rule out not knowing how to do it, I've been tethering for the past year only started being an issue after the crackdown.
One thing to note is that Honeycomb doesn't recognize Ad-Hoc networks. You may be having problems if you're trying to set up your phone as a wi-fi hotspot. Trying using the bluetooth tethering options.

mesebar2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi, i've just found out how to connect my phone (xperia x10) to my just arrived transformer.
I've been looking all through the forum to find out how to share my phone's connection but i didn't find any solution so, i hope, my reply will help at least you not to waste time any further
Simply install "PdaNet Tablet" both on your tablet and your phone (yes, PdaNet TABLET also on your phone).
This is how it worked for me:
1) Start "pdanet tablet" on your transformer and set the proxy hostname and port as stated in the program (127.0.0.1 and 1234)
2) Start "pdanet for tablet" on your phone and click "enable pda server"
3) Wait a few seconds :P
4) Allow your phone to open bluetooth and be visible
5) On your tablet, on the "pdanet tablet" screen click "tap to discover new phones"
6) On your tablet click on your phone's name
7) DONE!

I hope this helped