5,599,033 Members 31,421 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can an app tell if you are rooted?

Tip us?

ilongbored
Old
(Last edited by ilongbored; 6th May 2011 at 10:17 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Can an app tell if you are rooted?

The android game DemonHunter by BiCORE does not run on rooted devices. When you open it, it asks for su access. Whether you say yes or no, the game never continues.

Anyone know how they can tell if you are rooted? Is there a way around this besides only temp rooting when you need root and making sure you aren't rooted whenever you want to play the game?

Theonew
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilongbored View Post
The android game DemonHunter by BiCORE does not run on rooted devices. When you open it, it asks for su access. Whether you say yes or no, the game never continues.

Anyone know how they can tell if you are rooted? Is there a way around this besides only temp rooting when you need root and making sure you aren't rooted whenever you want to play the game?
Apps can tell if you are rooted - the ones which require root. I don't know why a game like that would ask for root access. Only apps which require root should ask for root access e.g. setcpu. Does this happen for all your games?

10cheesecakes
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Hopefully I don't get flack for this but I was wondering if.there is a way to hide your root ness? Because it worked on my stock rooted ics. When I installed the cybergr mod.it.didn't work again.

spunker88
Old
Thanks Meter 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10cheesecakes View Post
Hopefully I don't get flack for this but I was wondering if.there is a way to hide your root ness? Because it worked on my stock rooted ics. When I installed the cybergr mod.it.didn't work again.
Install OTA Rootkeeper. Some apps like Amazon Video feel the need to deny root users because they think we are all pirates or something, luckily OTA Rootkeeper allows your device to be unrooted temporarily.
Motorola Droid Bionic
Stock 4.1.2 Rooted
CM11 4.4 Safestrap

HP Touchpad
Evervolv 4.4

Toshiba Encore
Windows 8.1