5,604,730 Members 32,432 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] Keyboard for tablets - Development thread

Tip us?

mssmison
Old
(Last edited by mssmison; 13th May 2011 at 04:44 AM.)
Retired Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 230
Default [APP] Keyboard for tablets - Development thread

Hey guys,
Just wanted to share an image with you of a keyboard project I'm working on for tablets. Currently all dev and testing is being done on my Galaxy Tab, but next week I'll start working on the xoom screensize port as well.

Info:A free basic multitouch keyboard for tablets, (a paid version with more features may come later, or I may just update the free version)
Features:
-Fast
-Word prediction
-Multitouch
-capability for multilanguage support (depends on interest I guess)
-FREE (My favorite words ever!)

How can you help?
Well as you can see there is some space in the middle of the screen, while I've still setup the keyboard with a seperate symbols keyboard (also tablet/thumb friendly) I'm wondering if there are some 'must have' buttons that should be put in the middle. My thoughts are they should be key's that are essential but not normally used, like arrow keys maybe? There's probably room for about 12 keys? So chime in and let me know.

How do I help not to clog up this thread
I don't need testers thanks. But if I do in the future I'll ask.

When is it coming out! I want it now!
As soon as it's ready, obviously it's mothers day this weekend so don't expect it until next week some time at the earliest.

Final info:
This is not the final theme, although it will be something along these lines probably.. I like a clean, minimalistic approach. Also in the second picture (the symbols) you can see the keys are slightly larger, I've also not decided on the final key size yet.

*Update*,
I've updated the attached pictures with the latest revision, and the initial sizing for the 10.1" Tablets. I've only speant a few minutes with the xoom, but being able to input text with both thumbs while holding it makes all the difference in the world.
*Update*, Portrait orientation fixed for 7 and 10" layout
*Update 05-12* I'm pretty happy where things are at right now with the 7" version. I just need to incorporate those changes into the 10.1" size and it should be basically ready. I've tweaked the sizing a bit since these latest screenshots now that I can put the xoom through more testing. I'll maybe add another couple of languages before release, if not everyone can work on those after. I've kept the additional keys in the space minimal, as I said before I like minimal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forxda.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	592074   Click image for larger version

Name:	forxda2.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	592075   Click image for larger version

Name:	forxdahoneycomb.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	592076  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mssmison For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

neogenesis213
Old
Thanks Meter 3
hey that's pretty great. But instead of black is it possible to make the background translucence so as to see the content of the app.

korl85
Old
Thanks Meter 0
a translucence background is a great idea

zztfox
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Will this require 2.2+?

I know you specified Galaxy Tabs, but I have been messing with a cmp738a craig tablet lately and this is exactly what I have been looking for.

Would be willing to test it if you are willing to add support.

mssmison
Old
Thanks Meter 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by korl85 View Post
a translucence background is a great idea
Hmmm. Maybe, first up though before I finalize the theme is the layout.. ill keep it in mind though, thanks for the suggestion :)

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

aholstenson
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I have played around with a Xoom for a while and this looks like a great replacement for the stock keyboard.

One thing I really miss on the Xoom is the ability to quickly write numbers by long pressing the alphabetic keys (secondary keys in general would be nice).

Frequently used keys in the middle seems great, a few symbol keys would fit nicely there. I find myself typing @ a lot, but other than I can't think of anything (except numbers) that I type often.

// A

12paq
Old
Thanks Meter 144
Nice.
The screen res of the Galaxy tab is the same on my Nook running CM7 Gingerbread 2.3.4.
So I would like to help test if possible. This looks lime a nice project.

mssmison
Old
Thanks Meter 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by mssmison View Post
How do I help not to clog up this thread
I don't need testers thanks. But if I do in the future I'll ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12paq View Post
Nice.
The screen res of the Galaxy tab is the same on my Nook running CM7 Gingerbread 2.3.4.
So I would like to help test if possible. This looks lime a nice project.
thanks for the offer though

UrbanRider
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Portugal here, i can help with pt-PT translation

b3ltazar
Old
Thanks Meter 113

DONATE TO ME
Default numbers

numbers in the middle would be very helpful and a .com thank u for this

Tags