Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,079 Members 50,883 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best App for Killing/Blocking Apps

Tip us?

rorytmeadows
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 211
Default Best App for Killing/Blocking Apps

The best, most efficient, smallest footprint, and easy-to-nav app that can kill unnecessary apps/services and block ones you don't want coming up?
RTM

XDA's #1 Apple hater

T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooted Stock 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 Stock 4.4.2

Iconia
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
The best, most efficient, smallest footprint, and easy-to-nav app that can kill unnecessary apps/services and block ones you don't want coming up?
I always have and still do use Advanced Task Killer off the market.

atomicwedgie
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Have always used Android Assistant but it seems to have some problems blocking apps in honeycomb.

jimbobtexas
Old
Thanks Meter 53

DONATE TO ME
It's been posted time and again on many Android forums that Task Killers are generally a bad idea. Let Linux do its thing. If an app is misbehaving, uninstall it. Use Titanium Backup to either freeze or uninstall ANY application (root is required).

rorytmeadows
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobtexas View Post
It's been posted time and again on many Android forums that Task Killers are generally a bad idea. Let Linux do its thing. If an app is misbehaving, uninstall it. Use Titanium Backup to either freeze or uninstall ANY application (root is required).
Why are they generally a bad idea?

And what does freezing apps do?
RTM

XDA's #1 Apple hater

T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooted Stock 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 Stock 4.4.2

atomicwedgie
Old
(Last edited by atomicwedgie; 11th May 2011 at 01:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Sometimes Task killers are necessary for a misbehaving app. I have several that I use that sometimes fail to close properly start using large chunks of cpu time in the background.

Blocking an app from starting up is different. Some applications want to start up everytime you power on your device and it is just not necessary. This is where blocking them from starting up I find a beneficial. Before doing this though you should analyze the application and how much memory and cpu is actually using.

However I agree That using a task killer to constantly kill tasks in the background is indeed a bad idea.

rushless
Old
Thanks Meter 271
A few points about Linux, Android and Task Killers:

1. Android is based on Linux, but the Dalvik byte code layer and framework design makes the OS it's own entity.

2. If all apps were designed to spec, there were no fragmentation and they "played nice", then a task killer would not be needed. Since a lof apps do not and there is fragmentation, a lot of apps do not play nice. Even OEM loaded apps can suck the resource soul out of a device. The Sony Play is an example of this (great device slowed by AWFUL bloatware).

3. Task killers are very handy to kill rogue apps that are an issue and the key is to exclude system-apps, which are usually the little green & white icons, but not always.

rushless
Old
Thanks Meter 271
Dupe post. Silly.

sarashah
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I understand that task killers drain your battery, but im not gonna lie I like bein able to close all my apps and not gettin notifications all day long. so is there something out there like this that doesn't constantly run in the background?

Juzman
Old
Thanks Meter 188

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconia View Post
I always have and still do use Advanced Task Killer off the market.
Same here. Put the widget down bottom right of the screen, just tap it every now and then. Works like a charm.