[APP][ROOT] GTalk 1.3 with Video - Working on the SGS2!!
See the original thread posted by britoso for details but thought you guys might like a fresh post here with details specific to our SGS2:
[APP][ROOT] Google Talk 1.3 with Video calling, Now wifi optional!
Initially installed talk1.3.nowifi.update-signed.zip
via root explorer as per I2asta's post but the other party could not see my video in their chat. So, installed the suggested "GoogleServicesFramework.apk" to /system/app location (root explorer), rebooted and video is now working both ways!!
- A little guide as suggested by nasgilani!
- Root Explorer is a paid app, tried & tested! There are free alternatives out there but use at your own peril...
- I'll be using the updated gapps and the files therein for this guide. If you want to use an alternative version e.g. nowifi, download that one and use in the instructions instead.
- After performing this mod you will probably have to setup your Google Account again... and possibly reboot a second time to resolve any quirks.
1. Download the Full Google Apps
from 20110503 which includes the updated GTalk
2. Extract the following files from the zip and place them somewhere easily accessible on your phone's SDcard:
3. Open up Root Explorer
and goto your extracted files
4. Long Click
and rename to Talk2.apk
5. Long Click
it, then navigate to /system/app
6. Press Mount R/W
at the top right so it looks like:
Fig. 1 - Mount R/W to write files to this system folder
7. Click on the Paste
button to paste it here
8. Long Click
and rename it to Talk.apk1
Fig. 2 - You should now have both talk2.apk and talk.apk1 as shown above
9. Long Click
and select permissions
Fig. 3 - Permissions should be as above
10. Alter the permissions
to the same as Fig. 3
above and OK it
11. Now navigate back to your extracted files and rename GoogleServicesFramework.apk
to something like GoogleServicesFramework2.apk
and then Copy
12. Navigate to system/app
and then Paste
the original GoogleServicesFramework.apk
14. Now you can Rename
the new GoogleServicesFramework2.apk
Fig. 4 - Now you should have 2 GoogleServicesFramework files
15. Long Click
on the new GoogleServicesFramework.apk
and alter the permissions
to the same as shown in Fig. 3
above and then OK it
16. Navigate back to your extracted files again and Copy libtalk_jni.so
17. Then navigate to /system/lib
and press Mount R/W
18. Paste libtalk_jni.so
19. Again, set the Permissions
as shown in Fig. 3
21. Open up Talk
, click on your own avatar and make sure Allow video and voice chats
22. Test out chat to make sure audio/video is working both ways...
A big thanks to britoso for posting this and I2asta for the root explorer intstructions!!