- What do I have to do to be able to ask a question in the developmental fora?
- How many posts do I have to have before I can post in the developmental fora?
- Does this mean you want users to start spamming?
- Why are you judging users based on their postcount (I have been a long time user on other fora, e.g. I know the ropes)?
There are a few common misunderstandings about the developmental fora I want to address before I dive further into the subject.
Common misunderstandings: (not true)
- Developmental fora are for asking questions
How many posts?
You are encouraging members to spam!
No we are not. This is meant for users to take some time to get acquainted with the idiosyncrasies, the rules and the ideology of the site. Spamming is not allowed as per rule 7: Do not spam. Doing so will get you infracted and your posts will be deleted, leaving you worse off than before.
Why are you judging members by their post count?
For lack of a better alternative. I challenge anyone to come up with a better alternative, and share it with us. Over the years we have seen the impact the cluttering up of developmental fora had on the amount of energy needed to keep threads in shape or visible. This wasn't productive at all. We get that people might have experience from other fora and think this is a little over the top for them, but there are rarely any developers amongst the people that want to create new threads. There are a few people with a genuine need to post a thread in the developmental fora (developers), these people can contact a moderator to help them get sorted.
12's tutorial on how to get your postcount above 10:
Keep in mind that only people we the genuine intent to post one of their developmental projects or with a (well explained) bug report NEED a postcount above 10. Nonetheless I'll give you some guidelines on how to achieve this goal in a community accepted way:
- Read the stickies in About xda-developers.com
- Read this thread
- Read the stickies in Questions and Answers, ask a question there about the site or anything general should anything be unclear to you
- Try to answer 2 or 3 questions there
- Read the stickies in your forum for your favorite device
- If you have any news on the device post it in general
- If you have any questions about a hack, app, ROM or theme pop into that thread and ask a question or leave a message
- Check out your device specific Questions and Answers (if it has one, otherwise check out General). With everything you have learned so far you should well be able to help a few more people there.