Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,641 Members 43,910 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ADW Launcher EX now available on Xoom

Tip us?

forlorn110
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have Launcher Switcher installed. When I open it up, it says I have no default launcher and I'm not sure how to make stock launcher my default? Thanks for helping me out.

shmigao
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by forlorn110 View Post
I have Launcher Switcher installed. When I open it up, it says I have no default launcher and I'm not sure how to make stock launcher my default? Thanks for helping me out.
yep, sorry, i just noticed that too... i thought it was working, but when i hit home button, i went back to ADW ex, although i wanted back to default home

so, no perfect solution for 2 home apps right now...
Phone: back to Nexus One (the old buddy still does it)
Tablet: Galaxy Tab 10.1 (p4 transformed to a p4wifi)

Legacy devices
Phone: HTC Butterfly S (lost/stolen)
Phone: HTC One X (passed to the loved one)
Tablet: Galaxy Tab (passed to the loved one)
Phone: G1 (for emergency purposes)

ritalin
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmigao View Post
yep, sorry, i just noticed that too... i thought it was working, but when i hit home button, i went back to ADW ex, although i wanted back to default home

so, no perfect solution for 2 home apps right now...
Ok so here is the best method for dual or more home desktops.

Lets say you want the normal 3.1 launcher as your default desktop. Go ahead and set it as default. Now you will need Launcher Pro to accomplish this, so go ahead and side load it.
Now long press your desktop and then choose more.
Under more choose Activities.
Under activities choose ADW Launcher EX, then choose org.adwfreak.launcher.Launcher

This will create a shortcut that is a direct link to the launcher itself on your desktop. I know your thinking, why no just use a regular shortcut to ADW? Well the answer is that this method has no stutter at all.

You can accomplish the same thing in ADW if you prefer that as your default by choosing custom shortcut, and then activities.
Help start the discussion for patent reform.
https://defendinnovation.org/

kev0153
Old
Thanks Meter 84
So I modified the logos in the upper left hand corner to transparent versions. Looks much better. I was going to post the apk but since this is a paid app I won't. I do have the logos if anybody wants to replace them.

Botero
Old
Thanks Meter 7
That looks great. Can you give a quick write up of how to do it?

kev0153
Old
Thanks Meter 84
In a nutshell. Find the apk on your xoom in data/apps and get it onto your computer with whatever method you like. You can use adb pull or I just uploaded it to my dropbox account using root explorer.

I used apk manager to unpack the file. Replace the two icons in drawable hdpi and drawable mdpi (probably only need hdpi but I did both) with the attached icons. Rename to ic_launcher_home.png before moving. I zipped up the file and resigned using apk manager and sideload to the xoom using dropbox. Uninstall the current ADW and reinstall the new package.

In hindsight I probably could have just opened the apk in winrar and just replaced the icons but I went the apk manager route.
Attached Images

Botero
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0153 View Post
In a nutshell. Find the apk on your xoom in data/apps and get it onto your computer with whatever method you like. You can use adb pull or I just uploaded it to my dropbox account using root explorer.

I used apk manager to unpack the file. Replace the two icons in drawable hdpi and drawable mdpi (probably only need hdpi but I did both) with the attached icons. Rename to ic_launcher_home.png before moving. I zipped up the file and resigned using apk manager and sideload to the xoom using dropbox. Uninstall the current ADW and reinstall the new package.

In hindsight I probably could have just opened the apk in winrar and just replaced the icons but I went the apk manager route.
Thanks. I'm going to try it this morning.

Sent from my Xoom that Tiamat made good...

kev0153
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botero View Post
Thanks. I'm going to try it this morning.

Sent from my Xoom that Tiamat made good...
I just saw that my attached transparent images are a little hard to see.

Here are dropbox links

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6542496/ic_l..._home_hdpi.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6542496/ic_l..._home_mdpi.png

Mr Bland
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0153 View Post

Thank-you very much. Just as a fyi you can do this same process on your xoom using NinjaMorph pro. It cost a couple of bucks to get the app but it makes it easier by eliminating the need to transfer to a computer.

bpick
Old
Thanks Meter 6
This maybe a tad off topic but.... I have this issue with ADW EX where when I have the stock Email, Gmail or Calendar widgets it will switch to whichever home screen the widget is on when I rotate. Has anyone else had this happen.

Searching doesnt yield very many results and no resolution. Just curious and this is an ADW thread so I thought, why not ask.