Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,721 Members 51,524 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[BOUNTY] Injecting PSX Images into Native PSX Emulator - $280+

Tip us?

Levistras
Old
(Last edited by Levistras; 31st May 2011 at 12:32 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Cool [BOUNTY] Injecting PSX Images into Native PSX Emulator - $280+

** I haven't been around to keep this thread updated. Thankfully, AriStar has done a great job maintaining an extension of this thread over on the developers board. For the most updated status, please follow this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1097428 **

I'm looking start up a bounty to get a development effort going around the Native PSX Emulator that comes on the Xperia PLAY.

The preloaded Crash Bandicoot as well as the selection of PSX games available from Sony use this native emulator, the performance in which is PERFECT, compared to FPse and PSX4Droid which have sound and choppiness issues at times.

Some discussion on this topic is in another thread, here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1044755 . We can see the psx image on the SD card with little effort, however the formatting of this image and the steps required to inject our own images is still unknown.

My ultimate goal here is to be able to run FF7 in the Native PSX emulator and support the disc changes needed. (From the PSX Emulator menus, disc swapping looks to be included, but as no multi-disc games are released, this may be tricky).

I'd like to throw in $20 to start this bounty and get discussion going.

Please post under this thread if you can contribute either to the bounty or to the development effort. If you have any requirements attached to your bounty contribution (ie: "Must be able to play FF7") then please include those as well.

Bounty now up to (or over): $280 + Xperia X1

illuminerdi
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levistras View Post
My ultimate goal here is to be able to run FF7 in the Native PSX emulator and support the disc changes needed. (From the PSX Emulator menus, disc swapping looks to be included, but as no multi-disc games are released, this may be tricky).
Disc swapping is probably less of an issue than it sounds - you only have to swap discs once every 10-12 hours for most games, and almost every single game that has a disc swap also lets you save after completing the disc and before the swap, so in theory if the PSX Emulator only allows for once disc at a time, you just make a wrapped image of each disc, save when you hit the end of one disc, and boot the image for the second/third/etc disc and voila.

While ultimately it would be a great feature, it's probably not strictly necessary and will amount to a minor nuisance in the short term.

Also, put me down for $10CDN towards the bounty as well.

Logseman
Old
Thanks Meter 625

DONATE TO ME
10 Euro more. As long as it works, I'm cool with it.

dsswoosh
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Nice idea.

But my games run perfect in fpse.

Tell me what games you find choppy and i'll test them for you. So far i've played -

Time Crisis (touch screen as light gun, dam awesome)
Demolition Derby
Rampage Universal Tour
Point Blank (touch screen as light gun, dam awesome)
Strider 2
Die Hard Trilogy

and they all run flawlessly.

Would of tried more but i've been hooked on the nes/snes/master system/genesis and native xperia play games (backstab/nova2 etc) for the last month.

Levistras
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsswoosh View Post
Nice idea.

But my games run perfect in fpse.

Tell me what games you find choppy and i'll test them for you. So far i've played -

Time Crisis (touch screen as light gun, dam awesome)
Demolition Derby
Rampage Universal Tour
Point Blank (touch screen as light gun, dam awesome)
Strider 2
Die Hard Trilogy

and they all run flawlessly.

Would of tried more but i've been hooked on the nes/snes/master system/genesis and native xperia play games (backstab/nova2 etc) for the last month.
The one I care most about is Final Fantasy 7. Battle sequences tend to be choppy, the sound slows to a crawl when coming into and out of battle. The music sound sync in general also just isn't perfect. It's "good enough" for the most part, but stammers a bit, feels like a beginner drummer that can't really keep time.

Clyzm
Old
Thanks Meter 30

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
The one I care most about is Final Fantasy 7. Battle sequences tend to be choppy, the sound slows to a crawl when coming into and out of battle. The music sound sync in general also just isn't perfect. It's "good enough" for the most part, but stammers a bit, feels like a beginner drummer that can't really keep time.
Yeah sound emulation is more difficult to do than it seems. A ton of emulators (even today's Gamecube/Wii emulator, or the PS2 one) have sound issues more than anything else.

Also, I'll throw in $20 CAD for this. Hopefully it's actually possible and Sony's emulator is actually already complete. It'd be a shame to crack it but only find out it needs to be patched by Sony anyway.

AndroHero
Old
Thanks Meter 892
Quote:
final fantasy VII runs pefect to me on fpse, did you turn the sound sync and boost mode on?
------------------------------------------------------------
My Device
HTC Sensation XL
Rom Version - 3 Musketeers Insanely Cool Sense v2.2.1
Baseband - 10.10.12_M
Kernel - 2.6.35.13

illuminerdi
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroHero View Post
final fantasy VII runs pefect to me on fpse, did you turn the sound sync and boost mode on?
Yeah ive turned on sound sync. It helps but the sound is not accurate. It eliminates the stutter but the actual sounds are inaccurate, plus the graphics arent smoothed and are overly sharp and a bit ugly. Compared to the smoothed graphics of the official Sony emu they look poor. PSX games run at 1/2 the res of the Xperia screen so smoothing is essential. Fpse slows to a crawl when smoothed

Fpse is good, but still has a way to go before its good enough for me to use for everything.

Sent from my R800a using XDA App

DeadlyDazza
Old
Thanks Meter 78
I'll throw in £5 UK into the bounty.

Thats about $5000 US isn't it?!

finty
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminerdi View Post
Yeah ive turned on sound sync. It helps but the sound is not accurate. It eliminates the stutter but the actual sounds are inaccurate, plus the graphics arent smoothed and are overly sharp and a bit ugly. Compared to the smoothed graphics of the official Sony emu they look poor. PSX games run at 1/2 the res of the Xperia screen so smoothing is essential. Fpse slows to a crawl when smoothed

Fpse is good, but still has a way to go before its good enough for me to use for everything.

Sent from my R800a using XDA App
Does the XPlays native emulator really have smoothing? I did think that Crash looked better than I remembered but put that down to the small screen and the fact that last time I played crash 1 was on a large HDTV.

Tags
emulator, playstation, psx, roms