PLEASE USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION. Your question has already been answered. Use Google or the search function above. The Google link is a template for quicker searching of this site.
stable=latest stable rom from Cyanogemmod. Your go-to ROM if you just want a good daily driver and do not want to worry about things not working.
nightly=the latest and greatest. Please only try if you are able to troubleshoot, understand basic computer concepts, are not a N00b.
N00b=A word I hate and you should never use. Please do not say I'm a noob that needs help. Simply ask can I please have some help.
rooting=This is NOT FLASHING A ROM. It is the act of taking a stock rom and installing super user privileges. Installing CM7 is NOT ROOTING.
CM=Short for Cyanogenmod. The amazing team of developers that make what you're reading and wanting to do possible. Thank them often and donate any way you can (in help, money, coding).
OP=original post (post #1 in a thread)
AOSP=Android Open Source Project
SD=SecureDigital storage (that little card that goes in your NC)
eMMC=internal memory (the "hard drive" of your NC)
ROM=the "operating system"
kernel="Translater" between your ROM and the NC hardware. You need the overclocked one to overclock. Flash after a rom is flashed. THERE WILL BE NO OC KERNEL FOR THE DEFAULT CM ROM, EVER. OVERVOLTAGES OF THE KERNEL WILL NOT BE INCLUDED.
FC=force close, or when an app crashes
SOD=sleep of death. When the NC will not wake from sleep. You need to hard shutdown, then reboot to fix this.
PBD=premature battery death. When the battery shows 3x-20x% battery life left, but shuts down without warning. This has been linked to people who updated their bootloader without first flashing to 1.2 stock and letting the battery drain all the way down. This is being looked into. You need to plug in your NC if you experience this.
Kernel Issues with CM7 stable:
- Flashing OC kernel results in "ANDROID" hanging/bootloops on boot. You need to change the updater-script to ext4, or use this kernel. Here is information about the filesystems used.
- Which OC kernel can I use with stable? The latest test (4/24) can be used. Both need the updater-script to be changed to ext4. Look here for information.
- Please ensure you are running the latest Rom Manager and Clockwork Recovery. This will also fix problems with the kernel not loading and being stuck at "_ANDROID". Open market, download Rom Manager, install it, then flash the latest recovery for the NOOK COLOR (not NOOK COLOR (OLD), if that is still there). Now update your kernel/ROM.
- I want to install an OC kernel to my SD rom! Head over here, Racks has all the kernels you could want.
- What overclocked kernel do I need?? The latest from dalingrin should do. Please read and understand (and use the search function) if you have questions/concerns. You're looking for the 5/23 .32 based kernel. Some may have issues with wifi, however.
- I want to run this off of my SD card, not internal (eMMC) memory. Look at Racks for the answer.
- Is it worth my time to upgrade to the latest nightly? You can check here. Changes specific to encore (the code name for the nook color) will have a slightly darker background, and if that is an issue you've had, it may be fixed now!
- I want to run netflix on the NC! Download the netflix app and follow these instructions to have it run. If you don't know what it's asking to do, ask here!
- I need the new uboot everyone is talking about! Get it here.
- I want to try out USB Host support (VERY EXPERIMENTAL). Look here, read EVERYTHING, understand what you are doing!
- Removing system apps (phone, mms, etc) will increase battery life! It has no effect. Stop it.
- Using a task manager is a good idea in Android! That's not a good idea at all!
- What do all these governors do/mean in setcpu/cyanogenmod performance settings? Look here for a great explanation. Also, DO NOT use setcpu PROFILES in CM7.
- How do I install all these things? Check out eyeballer's awesome thread!
- Latest SDK (NOT AOSP) based ROM: Look here.
Thanks for the OP's that saved me from retyping all the answers (Nemith, luciferii, and dalingrin, verygreen, and fattire (and others) that have made CM into the amazing piece of work it is.