[MOD] Galaxy S II Overclocked to 1.5GHz: 4000+ in Quadrant!

Search This thread

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
I have successfully overclocked the new Samsung Galaxy S II to 1.504GHz. This speed is enough to allow it to achieve really high benchmark scores like over 4000 points in Quadrant! 1.5GHz is a 25% overclock and makes this fast phone even faster and snappier in day to day usage.

Instructions:
1. You'll need the latest version of odin3 and the USB drivers for Windows. jutley's post on debranding the phone has links to both: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1064894
2. Grab the kernel. It is a tar file for odin with the overclocked kernel and a initramfs with proper modules for the kernel: http://setcpu.com/files/galaxysii_oc_v1.tar
3. Reboot the phone into download mode using ADB:
adb reboot download
4. Flash the kernel using odin3 by placing the tar file in the PDA section and pressing "Start."
5. The phone will reboot automatically.
6. Use SuperOneClick to root your phone if you haven't already. ADB should have root access with this kernel so it'll just work.
7. Grab SetCPU and try 1.504GHz.

Source code (with relevant commit for the overclock. I also enabled the interactive governor in the config): https://github.com/coolbho3k/galaxysii_oc

I haven't gone crazy on the voltages - 1.504GHz is stable at 1375mV on my device. Depending on your device, there may be even more headroom. I've gotten speeds of up to 2GHz to boot with instability (my unstable 1.8GHz Linpack run is currently in the Linpack top 10), but at very high voltages and temperatures. Leave it up to other developers to give you higher/more dangerous frequencies and voltages. If you stress the CPU a ton the phone will become hot to touch (though it does to a certain extent even at stock frequencies - there is not much thermal insulation between the processor and your hands in such a thin phone).

Current features in this kernel: Added 1.504GHz overclocking step (default frequency is still 1.2GHz for safety - use SetCPU to safely raise the frequency) and relevant modifications, 800MHz sleep death fix, interactive governor, ro.secure = 0.

The usual disclaimers apply here. Only do this if you know what you're doing. Though the long term stability/reliability of similar overclocks on other Android based ARM devices is known, this software is provided with no warranty, and I can't be held responsible if you fry your device.

Video:

A 1.504MHz overclock:
galaxysii_setcpu.png

...breaks over 4000 points in Quadrant:
galaxysii_4k_quadrant.png

...and almost 60 MFLOPS in Linpack:
galaxysii_linpack.png

Since Linpack and Quadrant aren't (sufficiently?) multithreaded, you won't see that much improvement over single core Cortex A8 devices at the same clock. But these are dual core phones!

Developers: keep in mind that the Galaxy S II source currently "fixes" voltages on this revision of the Exynos to be 25mV less than what is in the table. Upon boot, the driver will actually print the real voltages at each level (look for ASV voltage_table in the kernel log) if you don't know which chipset revision a particular phone has. The overclock itself is controlled in the s5pv310_apll_pms_table.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

TFJ4

Aug 13, 2009
Houston, Texas
This is when I really wish I had a SGS2. Can't wait till it comes to American shores, great work coolbho, see you on Engadget tomorrow..

slyydrr

Feb 10, 2009
Boca Raton
Wonderful work man. Can't get Odin to download on my home rig so I'll be playing around w/ this tomorrow at the office :) With overclocking already here and the inevitable kernel optimizations to come, this phone is truly going to be the beast everyone suspects.

cmd512

Aug 25, 2009
Shanghai
Holy crap, nice work! How much hotter is it getting in the back of the phone at 1.5ghz?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Nitroz

Jan 13, 2011
Wakefield
nitroz.org
Very good job here mate. It's about time somebody attempted to overclock such a sweet phone.
I will flash this with Odin tonight.
Again, great job & thanks :D

Droidcarp

Jun 26, 2010
London
Can someone run this overclock against AnTutu Benchmark as well please ....i find this a little more stable than quadrant.

Ty

S

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

soraxd

Jun 23, 2010
cleveland
oh crap.. i just realized who posted this, its Mr. Overclock himself, the creator of SetCPU... woo we have a star in our mits!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have successfully overclocked the new Samsung Galaxy S II to 1.504GHz. This speed is enough to allow it to achieve really high benchmark scores like over 4000 points in Quadrant! 1.5GHz is a 25% overclock and makes this fast phone even faster and snappier in day to day usage.

Instructions:
    1. You'll need the latest version of odin3 and the USB drivers for Windows. jutley's post on debranding the phone has links to both: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1064894
    2. Grab the kernel. It is a tar file for odin with the overclocked kernel and a initramfs with proper modules for the kernel: http://setcpu.com/files/galaxysii_oc_v1.tar
    3. Reboot the phone into download mode using ADB:
    adb reboot download
    4. Flash the kernel using odin3 by placing the tar file in the PDA section and pressing "Start."
    5. The phone will reboot automatically.
    6. Use SuperOneClick to root your phone if you haven't already. ADB should have root access with this kernel so it'll just work.
    7. Grab SetCPU and try 1.504GHz.

Source code (with relevant commit for the overclock. I also enabled the interactive governor in the config): https://github.com/coolbho3k/galaxysii_oc

I haven't gone crazy on the voltages - 1.504GHz is stable at 1375mV on my device. Depending on your device, there may be even more headroom. I've gotten speeds of up to 2GHz to boot with instability (my unstable 1.8GHz Linpack run is currently in the Linpack top 10), but at very high voltages and temperatures. Leave it up to other developers to give you higher/more dangerous frequencies and voltages. If you stress the CPU a ton the phone will become hot to touch (though it does to a certain extent even at stock frequencies - there is not much thermal insulation between the processor and your hands in such a thin phone).

Current features in this kernel: Added 1.504GHz overclocking step (default frequency is still 1.2GHz for safety - use SetCPU to safely raise the frequency) and relevant modifications, 800MHz sleep death fix, interactive governor, ro.secure = 0.

The usual disclaimers apply here. Only do this if you know what you're doing. Though the long term stability/reliability of similar overclocks on other Android based ARM devices is known, this software is provided with no warranty, and I can't be held responsible if you fry your device.

Video:

A 1.504MHz overclock:
    galaxysii_setcpu.png

...breaks over 4000 points in Quadrant:
    galaxysii_4k_quadrant.png

...and almost 60 MFLOPS in Linpack:
    galaxysii_linpack.png

Since Linpack and Quadrant aren't (sufficiently?) multithreaded, you won't see that much improvement over single core Cortex A8 devices at the same clock. But these are dual core phones!

Developers: keep in mind that the Galaxy S II source currently "fixes" voltages on this revision of the Exynos to be 25mV less than what is in the table. Upon boot, the driver will actually print the real voltages at each level (look for ASV voltage_table in the kernel log) if you don't know which chipset revision a particular phone has. The overclock itself is controlled in the s5pv310_apll_pms_table.

Enjoy!
    no much improvements at all in KE7.... i have no idea, with what intention samsung just releases these updates & for whom & where would be those changelogs...only god knows...
    this is cheap after being a customer by paying such a huge money for a device, atleast samsung should have some attitude right ???

people like me here keep digging for the information which is highly impossible to be available anywhere on the internet.... this is ridiculous...
    come on samsung, tell us what u have got in your minds... tell us what u r going to do for the battery issue & with what intention u r releasing these small updates which doesnt take care of the present problem.....
    we like monkeys, jump from one update to another thinking that the new one could be good.... foolishness... right ???

I don't know whether I've missed something over the last few years of being an XDA member, but it seems a large part of the community has morphed into 14 year old spoiled brats.

Two years ago, you were lucky if your phone got ONE update. You now have Samsung acting in an incredibly pro-active way about fixing issues, and because they don't make available the list of changes (which might be sensitive to them, you know, effectively publishing a list of faults the phone shipped with), you come on here to have a whinge about it. We. Don't. Care.

It's the same people who demand custom ROMs from developers who give up their time to make them, and have to buy their own phones; who complain that pirated apps and games don't work; who are incapable of following even the simplest guide; and who give the impression of being so thick you wonder how they manage to dress themselves in the morning.

XDA is a fantastic resource - far too many casual users treat this place as take-take-take with barely a word of thanks. I don't know whether there's a language barrier issue - I see the OP is from Bangalore - but I laboured under the strange delusion that "please" and "thank you" are part of every culture.

If you don't like the phone, take it back. They're going for, on average, £500 used on eBay in the UK, so if you were the first wave of PaYG on O2 you'll still be in profit if you flog it now.

Rant over. My whole Sunday's ruined.

Addendum:

* Sentences start with a capital letter. So do names.
    * "You" is spelled "you", not "u". Same with "Are".
    * Only one question mark is needed after a question. 'kin hell, it's not hard.
    Maybe it's a question of which processor is in your device?

I really want to get a SGS II, but all this talking about it being fabricated in different variants with different cpu's and gpu's forces me to wait for clarity. I wouldn't want to throw my money at an inferior model, now would I?

It looks like the Galaxy S II can either be equipped with an Samsung Exynos at 1.2ghz or a Nvidia Tegra 2 at 1.2ghz. As of what I've read so far, the Tegra 2 is expected to deliver a better performance - especially for graphics.

Supercurio, which chip is in your phone?

The Exynos is (a lot) more powerful than the Tegra2 both CPU and GPU wise, it also sports a lower power consumption than the Tegra2. There is a reason Samsung went with their own SOC for the I9100 and kept the Tegra2 for the future "low cost" version of the SGS2 handset (I9103)

The 4 cores MALI 400 is faster than the 8 cores Tegra2 GPU (even though it cheats in benchmarks, showing 110fps, really displaying 60fps), the Tegra2 CPU doesn't even handle SIMD/NEON instructions, talk about improvements...

Tegra 2 was outdated by the time it released, NVidia just took way too long to release it in the first place.

There are other things the Tegra 2 SOC can't handle which the Exynos can, such as high profile 1080p videos playback.

The only thing the Exynos SOC doesn't do is to handle all the proprietary APIs Nvidia put to force the games to run on their Tegra chipsets, that's mostly driver related than anything else, not to mention game developers should stick to OPEN GL which is the de-facto standard for android handsets, in which by the way , the MALI happens to show a lot more performances than the Tegra2 GPU does.
    Damn :eek:.........
    Hi coolbho3000!

Congrats for your very fast work (in several manners:))

What about publishing sources forked off this common repository: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1054738 ?
    Direct link to the repo list: https://github.com/GalaxySII/

How to do it:
    - Fork this kernel repo
    - Commit your patches in your github
    Thats all :)

Benefit is that
    - no gitignore mess, its all clean.
    - several developers will maintain it
    - you'll get automatic updates merges from future kernel source release
    - same for support korean model, future american devices etc
    - you get me for support too!

I hope I'll convince you and most devs to use it as common source to ease patch exchange between us ;)