Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[UPDATE][WIFI ONLY][3.1] - Flashable, No Wipe Necessary, External Storage Enabled

OP publicanimal

12th May 2011, 10:08 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego, CA
Thanks Meter: 78

149 posts
More
FIRST THINGS FIRST:

This represents very little work that I've done on my own. It is mostly appropriating the work of others. The important thing to note is that the file works and it works well.

All I did to create this file was incorporate a modified version of stachre's updater-script into the official WiFi 3.1 update from Google (this is not the file you should flash).

I then added the kernel & all of the files from bigrushdog's HC3.1 .zip EXCEPT the system.img file (which is the vast majority of the update). BRD's HC3.1 installs the 3G version of 3.1 with Hotspot/Tethering options in the settings menu under Wireless & Networks, and I personally want to have the WiFi-only software on my WiFi XOOM. His version seems to work just fine and the only difference I noticed was in the Settings menu, but that was enough of a difference for me to prefer the WiFi only software. I'm sure more of you may feel the same. If there are any other differences between the WiFi & 3G software I'd be curious to know what, if any, there are.

I then added the code from BRD's updater-script (minus the parts relevant to flashing the system.img) on to the end of the updater-script from stachre's updater-script.

One of the benefits of this approach is that it does not require you to perform a factory data reset, as BRD's method currently does. And yes, you will have access to your external SD Card in the /sdcard/external folder.

It is super late and I am exhausted, but I wanted to share this with you before I fall asleep. If you seem to notice that these instructions are more or less copy and pasted verbatim from stachre's thread, that is because they are. This is a simplified version of his method with the addition of BRD's modified version of the stock 3.1 kernel for SD Card storage. There are fewer steps (now only 2) because more files are included in the zip.

DOWNLOAD HERE - FLASH IN CLOCKWORK RECOVERY:
MZ604_3.1_ROOT_update.zip

WARNING: Following this procedure may damage or permamently destroy your device. This procedure is provided with NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Perform this procedure at your own risk.

COMPATIBILITY NOTE: I have personally tested this procedure ONLY ON THE US XOOM WIFI MZ604. If other devices (i.e., Euro Xoom WiFi) implement the same Android 3.1 update file, then this procedure *should* work; some users have reported success with UK and Canadian models (see this post for more info). Know, however, that you proceed at your own risk. If you're stuck in a boot cycle, try a factory data reset in recovery.

SUMMARY

Here's a run-down on the current procedure:
  • Updates the Xoom WiFi to Android 3.1 using ClockworkMod Recovery (MZ604_3.1_ROOT_update.zip)
  • Resolves issue in updater-script: get_prop ro.product.device wingray
  • Pushes Superuser and su, sets correct permissions to enable functioning root
  • Flashes the system partitions to stock (required at this time)
  • Flashes bigrushdog modified stock boot.img (kernel) to enable external storage
  • Updates bootloader to include Recovery in the boot menu
  • Leaves user data intact
  • Leaves recovery intact

Outstanding Issues:
  • The new
  • Videos.apk does not appear in app drawer after update, according to Motorola this was done intentionally. Videos still play in Gallery. For some reason Motorola doesn't want us to use this app yet on the WiFi Xoom, but it's available on the 3G Xoom.

Now, without further ado...

ASSUMPTIONS
PROCEDURE
  1. Flash stock system.img & boot.img
    Prior to performing the actual update, the update script checks a number of files (including bcm4329.ko, which is usually built with the kernel) in /system. If any file doesn't match what's expected, the update halts. Flashing the stock system.img ensures a smooth update.

The pre-update checks also include the boot partition. The actual update flashes this partition with a new kernel that implements the new 3.1 features.

If you are unlocked and running unrooted stock Android 3.0.1, you can skip step 1. If you are already on 3.1 and just need root and/or external SD card storage, see this thread.
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot reboot
  2. Perform update
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    You may need to re-enable USB debugging in the Application settings menu before you can send the above adb command. Alternately after sending 'fastboot reboot' in step 1, wait a few seconds after you see the Motorola logo and tap the Volume Down button. If you see "Android Recovery" at the top of the screen, tap the Volume Up button to boot into recovery and install from there.

Note that in recovery, you use the hardware volume buttons to navigate up and down, and the power button to select.
    1. In ClockworkMod Recovery, select "mounts and storage"
    2. Ensure your Xoom is connected to your PC via USB, then select "mount USB storage"
    3. On your PC, copy MZ604_3.1_ROOT_update.zip to the root of the Xoom's SDCard ("Removable Disk" in Windows)
    4. In ClockworkModRecovery (still on the "USB Mass Storage device" screen) select "Unmount"
    5. In the "Mounts and Storage Menu" screen, if the option "unmount /sdcard" is present, continue to the next step; if "mount /sdcard" is present, select it then continue
    6. Select "+++++Go Back+++++"
    7. Select "install zip from sdcard"
    8. Select "choose zip from sdcard"
    9. Select "MZ604_3.1_ROOT_update.zip"
    10. Select "Yes - Install MZ604_3.1_ROOT_update.zip"

"Install from sdcard complete." will indicate that the update is completed.
    11. Select "reboot system now"

New bootloader will install. The message, "Congratulations! Your bootloader was successfully upgraded" will be immediately followed by an automatic reboot.
  3. Enjoy your rooted Xoom WiFi, running on Android 3.1!

CUSTOM KERNELS:
I told you guys it wouldn't be long. TDR has already released an overclock kernel for WiFi Xooms on 3.1.

Tips & Tricks for quick-booting into Fastboot & Recovery:
Booting into Fastboot:
Hold down both the power button and the Volume Down button. Fastboot support will boot and you can flash system/recovery/userdata images.

Booting into Recovery:
I haven't seen anyone else mention this. If you power up, wait a few seconds after the Motorola logo appears, then hit the Volume Down button you will see "Recovery" appear at the top of the screen. Hit the Volume Up key to boot into recovery!
Last edited by publicanimal; 15th May 2011 at 05:10 PM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to publicanimal For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th May 2011, 12:58 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

33 posts
Great instructions, the simplest I could see so far! The above process worked for my WIFI only XOOM which I had rooted and installed the Tiamat Xoom Kernel. I am in Australia so was impatient to wait for OTA which probably wouldn't have worked anyways from what I have read.
12th May 2011, 02:25 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

65 posts
More
How does this differ from bigrushdogs procedure? I have a wifi only xoom and am not sure which method to follow. Is this for stockusers?
12th May 2011, 02:33 PM   |  #4  
Flag Lakeland, FL
Thanks Meter: 4

151 posts
More
it is different because no wipe is needed, if you are stock (unrooted) you will have to wipe when you unlock the bootloader

This is exactly the method I used, though I did thinks manually and it took a while, but works great

I don't know about the videos.APk thing, there are some 3g users with the same problem, one current theory is that it has something to do with root

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Last edited by Dubar; 12th May 2011 at 02:37 PM.
12th May 2011, 03:31 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 6

28 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubar

I don't know about the videos.APk thing, there are some 3g users with the same problem, one current theory is that it has something to do with root

I think this problem is a bit two-faced, as a few of us on the 3G/VZW XOOM have updated fine and have a working video player, but rentals purchased do not play instead throw an Error 49 license error, while local content plays fine.

The Wifi users are reporting that the videos app doesn't even show up, let alone open. General suckage, not even being able to play local content.

I've been tinkering around with logs and trying to narrow down my error 49 issue but thus far have been unsuccessful.
12th May 2011, 05:44 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego, CA

149 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoppaw

How does this differ from bigrushdogs procedure? I have a wifi only xoom and am not sure which method to follow. Is this for stockusers?

Yeah, the two main differences between this and BRD's procedure is that you don't have to perform a factory reset to get this one to work, and this method requires adb/fastboot. I don't think you should have to erase all your data just to install an official update. It's also only one file to flash.

The other difference is that this version doesn't have artifacts from the 3G version in the Wireless & Networks Settings menu (if that bothers you).

I don't know if this update would apply on an unlocked and unrooted Xoom, but if your Xoom is unlocked this version of the update should give you root. Both would be worth testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekuru

I think this problem is a bit two-faced, as a few of us on the 3G/VZW XOOM have updated fine and have a working video player, but rentals purchased do not play instead throw an Error 49 license error, while local content plays fine.

The Wifi users are reporting that the videos app doesn't even show up, let alone open. General suckage, not even being able to play local content.

I've been tinkering around with logs and trying to narrow down my error 49 issue but thus far have been unsuccessful.

You can still play videos/local content fine through the gallery app, so we are safe in that respect. I can still watch all my movies or videos filmed on the Xoom just fine.

Here are some observations that I made. The WiFi update only included the Videos.apk file while the 3G update also included a Videos.odex file as well. I chose to add the Videos.odex to the update file in the OP, but it didn't make a difference (Videos apk still doesn't show in the app drawer).
Last edited by publicanimal; 12th May 2011 at 10:00 PM.
12th May 2011, 09:57 PM   |  #7  
Flag Highlands Ranch, CO.
Thanks Meter: 170

512 posts
Donate to Me
Thanks.. Worked great.

Note: I had to re-enable USB debugging on the Xoom after flashing the Stock System and Boot Images.
12th May 2011, 10:18 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego, CA

149 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Master

Thanks.. Worked great.

Note: I had to re-enable USB debugging on the Xoom after flashing the Stock System and Boot Images.

Thanks, I updated the OP to take account of that. Ever since I figured out how to boot into recovery from the Motorola logo I haven't really needed to send the 'adb reboot recovery' command.
12th May 2011, 11:13 PM   |  #9  
Flag South Carolina
Thanks Meter: 84

609 posts
More
I used BRD update method for my wifi zoom (don't care about the extra settings) and I have a working videos.apk that plays local content. I have not yet tried to rent a video.
12th May 2011, 11:17 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Diego, CA

149 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0153

I used BRD update method for my wifi zoom (don't care about the extra settings) and I have a working videos.apk that plays local content. I have not yet tried to rent a video.

Yes, I'm pretty sure for whatever reason the Videos.apk is enabled for the 3G version of 3.1 but not for the WiFi version of 3.1. I agree that the extra settings isn't a big deal, I made this file mostly because I wanted a way around wiping all of my user data.

Rumor has it that Google has said that the Videos.apk will be working on the WiFi Xoom in a few days.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android 3.1 wifi only
Previous Thread Next Thread