Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Fastboot oem unlock/ fastboot oem lock please read!

OP albundy2010

13th May 2011, 10:35 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,515

3,639 posts
I have seen quite of few people screw up their devices by not knowing what they are doing. So I am making this thread to simply tell people not familiar with fastboot what they should and should not do.

1. Fastboot oem unlock will unlock your bootloader and do a complete wipe of your device. As far as I know the only way for something to go wrong here is if you're device is low on battery and shuts off during the process. Either plug it in or have a "good" amount of juice left in your battery. To be 100 percent sure plug it in.

Before I get into oem lock IMHO you should only use this command for one thing only. Getting the device ready to send into motorola for the LGT upgrade or a another warranty repair or some sort. When done properly it is completely safe but there is no reason to do to go back to "stock".

2. Fastboot oem lock. Do not issue this command unless you are absolutely sure you have the correct software on your device. The correct software is what you get from the motodev site for your device. You need the official sofware images for your specific device AND REGION. If it is not released then DO NOT re-lock the device. If you have a OTA installed you will need to flash back to the motodev images first.

All this info is all ready on the forums in various threads already but I wanted to put in one place since I noticed quite a few users botch up the devices trying to update to 3.1 The last thing we need are a bunch of people bricking the devices and sending them in moto. I suspect if enough people do it they will end up changing their minds on the entire encrypted bootloader situation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to albundy2010 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th May 2011, 01:15 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

32 posts
I know you have to unlock to flash "non-stock" images, but do you have to unlock if you are only going to flash the "stock" motodev images?
13th May 2011, 02:30 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 7

138 posts
If I am currently just unlocked, not rooted do I need to lock in order to get the 3.1 update?
13th May 2011, 06:04 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Themer
- /
Thanks Meter: 1,745

1,605 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccogan

If I am currently just unlocked, not rooted do I need to lock in order to get the 3.1 update?

NO. the update only checks for stock files, not lock or unlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaisun

I know you have to unlock to flash "non-stock" images, but do you have to unlock if you are only going to flash the "stock" motodev images?

before you can flash anything you will need to unlock the bootloader.
27th June 2012, 08:50 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
how to lock the bootloader????
12th July 2013, 02:29 AM   |  #6  
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by albundy2010

I have seen quite of few people screw up their devices by not knowing what they are doing. So I am making this thread to simply tell people not familiar with fastboot what they should and should not do.

1. Fastboot oem unlock will unlock your bootloader and do a complete wipe of your device. As far as I know the only way for something to go wrong here is if you're device is low on battery and shuts off during the process. Either plug it in or have a "good" amount of juice left in your battery. To be 100 percent sure plug it in.

Before I get into oem lock IMHO you should only use this command for one thing only. Getting the device ready to send into motorola for the LGT upgrade or a another warranty repair or some sort. When done properly it is completely safe but there is no reason to do to go back to "stock".

2. Fastboot oem lock. Do not issue this command unless you are absolutely sure you have the correct software on your device. The correct software is what you get from the motodev site for your device. You need the official sofware images for your specific device AND REGION. If it is not released then DO NOT re-lock the device. If you have a OTA installed you will need to flash back to the motodev images first.

All this info is all ready on the forums in various threads already but I wanted to put in one place since I noticed quite a few users botch up the devices trying to update to 3.1 The last thing we need are a bunch of people bricking the devices and sending them in moto. I suspect if enough people do it they will end up changing their minds on the entire encrypted bootloader situation.

Question for you, how do I go about entering this command? My knowledge is basic. I have unrooted, restocked a Nexus 7. Trying to do oem lock without being able to use the screen. Cannot enable USB debugging because the screen is nonoperational. Any advice?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread