XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

Prepare Your Nokia X2 for Battle with Nokia X2 Tools

Unveiled in June this year, the Nokia X2 is the Finnish companys second crack at an … more

Increase the Speaker Volume of Your Samsung Gear 2 with Tool and Tutorial

I think its pretty safe to say that any sound coming out of a … more

Unlock Hidden Camera Settings on Your Moto G

At one point in time or another, weve all gotten very fiddly with the camera settings on our … more

Download from android market to pc, then transfer app onto tablet?

13th May 2011, 10:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

127 posts
I bought the viewsonic g-tablet. I was thinking of flashing to a rom like vegan mainly to get the android market.

I was wondering though. Say I keep it as stock OS.

Can I download the apps with my pc from the android store and then copy and paste the apk files onto the tablet or onto a sd card and install it onto the tablet that way?
13th May 2011, 11:42 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 177

725 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobbones

I bought the viewsonic g-tablet. I was thinking of flashing to a rom like vegan mainly to get the android market.

Can I download the apps with my pc from the android store and then copy and paste the apk files onto the tablet or onto a sd card and install it onto the tablet that way?

No, you can not download from the Market to your PC, only to an Android device that has Market access.

Sometimes you can find apps on websites (the developers site, this site, etc.) that you can download to your PC and then move over. Other sites hosting files...well some have been hosting modified apps that are infected with viruses so make it much riskier to install.
13th May 2011, 04:00 PM   |  #3  
Flag Conyers
Thanks Meter: 2

57 posts
More
Quote:

What's the appeal of the stock ROM? Its terrible in my opinion. Flash a custom ROM and you'll never look back. Plus you won't have to hassle with finding apps outside of the official channels and trying to track down a new .apk file when updates are made.

Alternatively, you could use the Amazon App Market instead of Google's. Not nearly the same but at least it's something.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
4th July 2011, 05:55 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
I am not sure what stock rom you had, but I love the 1.2-4349 interface. I love how you have the big widgets that give you weather, news, clock, email etc. I also like how all your other apps are beautifully lined below. I've tried other custom ROM's and I keep on coming back to stock.
The only downside of stock is the lack of gmarket. Once Viewsonic fixes this, then stock is the way to go
4th July 2011, 07:22 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 732

2,545 posts
Donate to Me
To me, the stock TnT UI looks like an alarm clock.

Have you tried vtl launcher? Gives you the same app scrolling ability on the bottom.
4th July 2011, 08:49 AM   |  #6  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 128

609 posts
More
+1 VTL is great. Load your favorite apps in a scroll on the bottom or sides or both. Have 1 h ((ome screen or 7. Its totally customizable. Mountain laurel ( TnTLite 5 based off 4349) at least increases speed, stability, refresh rate on the screen ( you will notice the difference between 52 and 60hz), connectivity and has market . Give it a shot. Roebeet put some serious effort into it and you can find it with a quick Google search. (Its hosted on another site) Or follow the link in goodintentions signature and look under roms.
5th July 2011, 06:48 AM   |  #7  
Flag Salinas, CA.
Thanks Meter: 75

455 posts
More
There's a tut from Lifehacker that explains the process of installing an android emulator onto your pc & then enabling the Android Market. From here you would simply download your app & then locate the folder with the stored apk.
It takes a bit of work but from what I can gather it should work.
I have the link but I'm not to sure if I can post it.
5th July 2011, 05:56 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 18

190 posts
There are ways to get a working market without installing a new ROM.

+1 for VTL launcher. I think the screen shots of Launcher Pro are even better looking, but I'm too cheap.
6th July 2011, 11:01 PM   |  #9  
Flag New Hampshire and Cozumel
Thanks Meter: 14

273 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by onibs

The only downside of stock is the lack of gmarket. Once Viewsonic fixes this, then stock is the way to go

I will bet you my g-Tablet that Viewsonic is never going to fix this.

It's not terribly difficult to get the Google Android Market working on the stock firmware.
11th July 2011, 04:58 PM   |  #10  
Flag Goldsboro
Thanks Meter: 88

373 posts
More
Quote:

Check this post to see how I added GAPPS/Market to my stock 4349 ROM.

http://viewsonic-gtablet-for-dummies...-1-2-4349-gtab

I did this on 2 gTabs before I finally upgraded them to Calkulin+Clemsyn v6 (I'd recommend this ROM/kernal combo) as it is more stable and is "much faster" than the stock 4349 (it's overclocked to 1.5Ghz). If you decide to do this, Contacts "will" no longer work (it force closes whenever you try to open it). That was the only problem I encountered.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread