Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,194 Members 41,884 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Download from android market to pc, then transfer app onto tablet?

Tip us?

jacobbones
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Download from android market to pc, then transfer app onto tablet?

I bought the viewsonic g-tablet. I was thinking of flashing to a rom like vegan mainly to get the android market.

I was wondering though. Say I keep it as stock OS.

Can I download the apps with my pc from the android store and then copy and paste the apk files onto the tablet or onto a sd card and install it onto the tablet that way?

tcrews
Old
Thanks Meter 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobbones View Post
I bought the viewsonic g-tablet. I was thinking of flashing to a rom like vegan mainly to get the android market.

Can I download the apps with my pc from the android store and then copy and paste the apk files onto the tablet or onto a sd card and install it onto the tablet that way?
No, you can not download from the Market to your PC, only to an Android device that has Market access.

Sometimes you can find apps on websites (the developers site, this site, etc.) that you can download to your PC and then move over. Other sites hosting files...well some have been hosting modified apps that are infected with viruses so make it much riskier to install.
http://android.snkbitten.com/
Motorola Droid, Droid 2, Droid 3 and Droid 4 (all rooted)
Motorola Moto X DevEd - KK 4.4.2 + Root
Google Nexus 10 - KK 4.4.2 + Root

thfoster
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:

What's the appeal of the stock ROM? Its terrible in my opinion. Flash a custom ROM and you'll never look back. Plus you won't have to hassle with finding apps outside of the official channels and trying to track down a new .apk file when updates are made.

Alternatively, you could use the Amazon App Market instead of Google's. Not nearly the same but at least it's something.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
HTC Evo - Sold
CM7 Stable

Nexus S 4G
CM7 Nightlies

Viewsonic G Tablet
Flashback 0.9 alpha

onibs
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am not sure what stock rom you had, but I love the 1.2-4349 interface. I love how you have the big widgets that give you weather, news, clock, email etc. I also like how all your other apps are beautifully lined below. I've tried other custom ROM's and I keep on coming back to stock.
The only downside of stock is the lack of gmarket. Once Viewsonic fixes this, then stock is the way to go

goodintentions
Old
Thanks Meter 732

DONATE TO ME
To me, the stock TnT UI looks like an alarm clock.

Have you tried vtl launcher? Gives you the same app scrolling ability on the bottom.
Feeling overwhelmed by all these instructions meant for smarties? Well, you're in luck because I've made a Viewsonic G-Tablet For Dummies where all the instructions are dumbed down for dummies.

Mantara
Old
Thanks Meter 128
+1 VTL is great. Load your favorite apps in a scroll on the bottom or sides or both. Have 1 h ((ome screen or 7. Its totally customizable. Mountain laurel ( TnTLite 5 based off 4349) at least increases speed, stability, refresh rate on the screen ( you will notice the difference between 52 and 60hz), connectivity and has market . Give it a shot. Roebeet put some serious effort into it and you can find it with a quick Google search. (Its hosted on another site) Or follow the link in goodintentions signature and look under roms.
Mash the thanks button if I help you, it makes it easier to explain to my wife why I spend so much time on here

Or use this link to sign up for dropbox and we both get an extra 250 megs of free space http://db.tt/y9lZBmV

Current: HTC Amaze running

Well Loved Legacy Devices
GTablet: VegAn Ginger ROM
Droid: CM8/Chromatic
HTC Magic: Chromatic ROM
HTC G1: CM7

EL TEJANO
Old
Thanks Meter 72
There's a tut from Lifehacker that explains the process of installing an android emulator onto your pc & then enabling the Android Market. From here you would simply download your app & then locate the folder with the stored apk.
It takes a bit of work but from what I can gather it should work.
I have the link but I'm not to sure if I can post it.

mike_ekim
Old
Thanks Meter 18
There are ways to get a working market without installing a new ROM.

+1 for VTL launcher. I think the screen shots of Launcher Pro are even better looking, but I'm too cheap.

mstevens
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by onibs View Post
The only downside of stock is the lack of gmarket. Once Viewsonic fixes this, then stock is the way to go
I will bet you my g-Tablet that Viewsonic is never going to fix this.

It's not terribly difficult to get the Google Android Market working on the stock firmware.
Motorola Photon 4G
Google Nexus S 4G
Viewsonic g-Tablet

Casa Suzana, vacation rental house in Cozumel, Mexico

aabbondanza
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:

Check this post to see how I added GAPPS/Market to my stock 4349 ROM.

http://viewsonic-gtablet-for-dummies...-1-2-4349-gtab

I did this on 2 gTabs before I finally upgraded them to Calkulin+Clemsyn v6 (I'd recommend this ROM/kernal combo) as it is more stable and is "much faster" than the stock 4349 (it's overclocked to 1.5Ghz). If you decide to do this, Contacts "will" no longer work (it force closes whenever you try to open it). That was the only problem I encountered.