[Q] MTP on linux Ubuntu

Tip us?

Apache14
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 551

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] MTP on linux Ubuntu

anyone been able to sync music/video's to there transformer from a linux machine ?

I have all of the mtp stuff set up for other devices, but i cannot get the transformer to show up ...

Any help would be appreciated
Phone :- Sony Xperia Z (CM10.1)

Tablet :- Asus Transformer Prime (TF201) & Asus Transformer TF101

IRC :- freenode #asus-transformer #G2Root come join us
I am Bumble-Bee

Twitter :- BumbleDroid Follow Me

If I Have Helped You Buy Me A Beer

crater
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I don't believe the TF is an MTP device... it simply mounts as storage. Drag/Drop your music.

Roach2010
Old
(Last edited by Roach2010; 13th May 2011 at 11:45 PM.) Reason: tidied up a little
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,261

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by crater View Post
I don't believe the TF is an MTP device... it simply mounts as storage. Drag/Drop your music.
It is actually an MTP device. This allows us to access the storage area without making it unavailable to the device like a USB mount does.

Here's how to get your Transformer to show up in Ubuntu for example. This includes stuff you will have setup but this will help others too.

Code:
$ sudo apt-get install mtpfs
$ sudo mkdir /media/transformer
$ sudo chmod 775 /media/transformer
$ sudo mtpfs -o allow_other /media/transformer
You should now be able to see the device under /media/transformer

To remove the device type:
Code:
$ sudo umount mtpfs

You may also need add a rule for the device to see it in Ubuntu:
Code:
$ sudo vi /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
Add this line to the 51-android.rules file:
Code:
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0b05", ATTRS{idProduct}=="4e0f", MODE="0666", OWNER="<your user name>" #Asus Transformer
Save the file, then chmod to all read:
Code:
$ sudo chmod a+r /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roach2010 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Crimton
Old
Thanks Meter 30
i was reading a guide on xoom forums i believe that told you to edit fstab. is that not necessary? i did it without making a backup and i messed up my mounting points.
Sent from my computer using Ubuntu 11.04

crater
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach2010 View Post
It is actually an MTP device. This allows us to access the storage area without making it unavailable to the device like a USB mount does.
My mistake, I was completely unaware that they had made this change in honeycomb.

mtpfs works great, I've got it working on my gentoo netbook for managing music and videos on my Creative Xen X-Fi.

Roach2010
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,261

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimton View Post
i was reading a guide on xoom forums i believe that told you to edit fstab. is that not necessary? i did it without making a backup and i messed up my mounting points.
fstab is for automounts at system startup, I just tried adding an entry for mtpfs but I got 'An error occurred while mounting /media/transformer' so I can't help with that.

Crimton
Old
(Last edited by Crimton; 14th May 2011 at 07:16 AM.)
Thanks Meter 30
I could care less if it auto mounts I just want it to mount at all. so you have tested what you posted above and it definitely works? if so, that is awesome.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

edit: can't get this to work for me how do you get it to mount? if i do sudo mount mtpfs i get:

Code:
 mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on mtpfs,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
       need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so
if i do /media/transformer i get:
Code:
 bash: /media/transformer: Transport endpoint is not connected

i got it to work by starting a new mount point /media/tf101 and setting permissions on it.
Sent from my computer using Ubuntu 11.04

roundhay
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I can't get this to work consistently, some times I can see all of the folders in the internal storage some times I only see the playlist folder and sometimes I see no folders and the "Transport endpoint is not connected" error message.

It is also worth noting that everytime I set up a new mountpoint it works but getting the files system to mount again is very unreliable.

Any ideas what this might be?

Don't really fancy setting up a new mount point every I want to transfer files onto the eee pad.

Using Ubuntu 11.04

Magnesus
Old
Thanks Meter 104
I just use gmpt on Ubuntu (in the rare ocasions I need it - I mostly get files from Samba share).

MACscr
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Ok, so i got things mounted, but when i try to copy a 5gb file from my 2tb drive to my transformer, it seems to eat up space on my os disk when it tries to transfer. This definitely wont work for me as I only have a couple gigs of space free on my OS disk, which is meant for speed, not lots of storage (my 2tb drive is for that). Why is this happening? Some sort of temporary/caching action going on? Seems like a major design flaw with mtpfs if this is how it works. =(