Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,230 Members 48,242 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Where to find Rooting Guides??

Tip us?

shrome99
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1,530
Default [Q] Where to find Rooting Guides??

Hey guys, I just moved to android nd i wanna root my Desire S. The problem is that its S-On. Also, i can't seem to find anythng particular about rooting. I ws able to jailbreak my iPod for the first time in 1/2 an hour wid the help of Redmondpie and a youtube channel. So, r there any good sites which have (noob friendly) rooting guides? Is there any youtube channel i shud subscribe to? Thanks !

Blezz
Old
Thanks Meter 61
have u even looked at this forum? why are there 100 posts with rooting about s-on? easy: it's not possible.
get a xtc clip if u want to root, beside that there is no way (yet)

ben_pyett
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,895
@Blezz is completely right at least search and read before asking, otherwise the forum just gets polluted with the same question over and over....

anyway, for your answer, read this thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1076937

FRASEB1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I feel that the root of desire htc s is not a priority for developers and hackers.Dommage for their owners.

Blezz
Old
Thanks Meter 61
well time will show, i am sure sometime there will come the right romleak from our hero 911sniper

RogerPodacter
Old
Thanks Meter 396
Historically HTC android phones always had the best rooting support and dev community. But this year HTC changed their policy and decided to start encrypting their boot loaders. So its a complete change in philosophy and quite honestly I think this is a very bad decision by HTC. They may alienate their user base.

Look at the new Samsung galaxy s2, comes with an unlocked boot loader. Tides could be shifting, that's for sure.
Past projects
Github
My N1 Battery Project

Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: stock rooted
Recovery: CWM Touch

MasterDL
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
Historically HTC android phones always had the best rooting support and dev community. But this year HTC changed their policy and decided to start encrypting their boot loaders. So its a complete change in philosophy and quite honestly I think this is a very bad decision by HTC. They may alienate their user base.

Look at the new Samsung galaxy s2, comes with an unlocked boot loader. Tides could be shifting, that's for sure.
Definitely I am deeply disappointed with the desire s hardware, when you come out with a next generation phone users expect a next step up like the galaxy s2. HTC will lose out to Samsung and so. Even Sony Ericsson that I dislike before are making the right moves I should have gotten a SE arc or waited for the neo.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA Premium App
*Htc One SV (Couldn't resist another Htc, rooted it already)
(good phone but not very popular)
*Htc Desire S (S-off, Highly modded)
*Htc Wildfire (Rooted and S-off)-A struggle in the android world.

igoivo
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I am also disapointed by HTC's decision to lock Android OS. It does not allow me to use many usefull applications from Andriod market and restricts the basic functionality, such as taking screenshots and making backup. I would prefer to know it before buying the phone from HTC.
As to the rooting, I am afraid that the system upgrades come nowadays over air providing not enough information on the security unlocking. What do you think?

geek_seeds
Old
Thanks Meter 2
For now its imposible to S-Off Desire S without XTC clip...
But time will change everythings dude

For me DS is enough without root

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA Premium App

Blezz
Old
Thanks Meter 61
wouldn't be too sure if time will change it
we would need a android 2.4 update for it, cause a 2.3.4 update would be so small that i don't think htc would use a engineering bootloader to develop it