Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,471 Members 40,993 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Power supply death

Tip us?

bbilko
Old
(Last edited by bbilko; 14th May 2011 at 05:51 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default Power supply death

It seems my power adaptor has died..

I have been using it daily with no problem, and charged it over night last night.

I got a new stand today and moved the power supply to a new location, shifting the transformer with the adaptor still plugged in.

From that point on, no charging...

the cable is good cos it still shows up on the PC, although I guess it could be partially broken.

I have tried leaving the power adaptor unplugged for an hour or so, but no luck.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Geekbabe
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Is it possible that you bent a pin in the slot on the pad that you plug the charger into? Alternatively, you could take apart and reseat the 2 pieces
of the charger itself.

bbilko
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Pins in the pad seem fine, same on the charger.

I just turned it off to see if I could get it to charge from a USB hub on my PC, but it seems not.

This points to the cable being at fault, but with no replacements available I am still stuck with a discharging tablet.

Very Frustrating... I guess I will be Calling Asus support on Monday.

Its a shame Comet is out of stock locally, or I would walk into store for an exchange

skchan2
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbilko View Post
Pins in the pad seem fine, same on the charger.

I just turned it off to see if I could get it to charge from a USB hub on my PC, but it seems not.

This points to the cable being at fault, but with no replacements available I am still stuck with a discharging tablet.

Very Frustrating... I guess I will be Calling Asus support on Monday.

Its a shame Comet is out of stock locally, or I would walk into store for an exchange
charging thru a PC usb hub is slow...the ac adapter is rated at 15v 1.2a...and a PC hub is only 5v .5a i think...

Anyone know what the adapters for the other tablets are rated at?

bbilko
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by skchan2 View Post
charging thru a PC usb hub is slow...the ac adapter is rated at 15v 1.2a...and a PC hub is only 5v .5a i think...

Anyone know what the adapters for the other tablets are rated at?
I realise its slow, but I would expect SOMETHING after leaving the TF plugged in for almost an hour turned off!

b1ackplague
Old
Thanks Meter 29
This might sound ridiculous but unplug the usb cable from the power brick, unplug the power brick from the wall, set them aside....then wait a while (20+ minutes), then come back to it and try to plug it back in.

I had this same exact problem but I did the steps I told you and it began charging again. I'm not sure how or why though.
iAMthePLAGUE

bbilko
Old
(Last edited by bbilko; 14th May 2011 at 09:45 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackplague View Post
This might sound ridiculous but unplug the usb cable from the power brick, unplug the power brick from the wall, set them aside....then wait a while (20+ minutes), then come back to it and try to plug it back in.

I had this same exact problem but I did the steps I told you and it began charging again. I'm not sure how or why though.
I left it for a while, but I shall try again.

EDIT: On second thoughts, no this isn't the case.

Plugging in the PSU normally turns the tablet on, and currently it isnt doing that.

Bum.

dictionary
Old
Thanks Meter 686

DONATE TO ME
What is your battery percentage at? Anything above 90, and it won't charge until it drops below. Kind of a built in failsafe.
Currently Owned:
HTC Inspire 4G (backup phone)
HTC Flyer 7". -Daughters Tablet
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Wifes phone
HTC One - Current phone
Asus Nexus 7 - Current tablet

Edited for those complaining.

bbilko
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
What is your battery percentage at? Anything above 90, and it won't charge until it drops below. Kind of a built in failsafe.
Ah yes, it is above 90%, but I am sure it would show the charging icon?

I can only hope this is a false alarm, I will be less annoyed then..

dictionary
Old
Thanks Meter 686

DONATE TO ME
Nope, won't show the charging icon. What I've done, if you want to ease the paranoia, lol, is hold the power button down and keep holding until the device shuts off completely. (do this with the plug disconnected) .. Now, plug the charger back in to the device. The device should power on, and you should boot up to a charging icon.

If it doesn't start up, then yeah, you may have a faulty charger. Let me know how it goes.
Currently Owned:
HTC Inspire 4G (backup phone)
HTC Flyer 7". -Daughters Tablet
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Wifes phone
HTC One - Current phone
Asus Nexus 7 - Current tablet

Edited for those complaining.