Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,150 Members 43,731 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[BOOTLOADER BYPASS -WIP] EternityProject Kexec method for Motorola Olympus (Atrix 4G)

Tip us?

kholk
Old
(Last edited by kholk; 14th May 2011 at 07:01 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3799

DONATE TO ME
Default [BOOTLOADER BYPASS -WIP] EternityProject Kexec method for Motorola Olympus (Atrix 4G)

Welcome to Eternity Project!

So... as most of you know I'm working on the Atrix solution from TOO MUCH time.
With the collaboration of people on #moto-atrix I've stated that FUSES on Tegra2 are really OTP, so there isn't any way to CRACK the BL, but we can still BYPASS it.

So... what is it?:
kexec is a "fastreboot" that won't pass through the Moto Bootloader, so with it it's possible to use custom kernels and, with some other development, custom Android systems like CM7 and many others.

Where's the poop?
Okay, that's it: I've successfully compiled and ran kexec on the Atrix 4G, so that kexec works, but it needs a kernel that can boot with kexec. On x86 we can build a relocatable kernel so no problems... but not on ARM and obviously not on Tegra.
The thing that is missing is exactly... _the address of the boot params_!

And now?
I'm only searching for help for completing the project and make a kernel that is bootable from my god-it-is-really-working-kexec. Any devs around?

Downloads:
- Kexec pack V0.01: DOWNLOAD

Kexec pack contains:
- ATAGS for MB860 (ATRIX_atags.tar)
- ATAGS hack module (eternity_procfs.tar)
- kexec module (eternity_kexec.tar)
- kexec tools/binaries (kexec-tools.tar)
- Kernel....that doesn't work. (eternity_kexec_kernel.tar)

So, what does work and what does not?
- ATAGS hacky hack: WORKING
- kexec module: WORKING
- kexec tools/binaries WORKING
- Kernel ToDo

How to run it:
0. FLASH AT&T 1.2.6 SBF PRIOR DOING ANYTHING
1. Extract all the archives
2. Insert the procfs_rw.ko module
3. cat atags > /proc/atags
4. Insert the kexec module
5. Run kexec for loading the kernel and jumping to it.
6. Boot! :|

P.S.: I won't release detailed how-tos because at this state I only need a DEVELOPER that can help me to build the kernel.

Thanks to:
- PAulyHoffman (special thanks!)
- unknown
- Sogarth
- the2dcour
- cranch
- eval-
- and many, many others....!
The Following 105 Users Say Thank You to kholk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PAulyhoffman
Old
(Last edited by PAulyhoffman; 14th May 2011 at 06:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 147
Awesome, i can verify that this kexec is working and will continue testing until we succeed.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PAulyhoffman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

the2dcour
Old
(Last edited by the2dcour; 14th May 2011 at 09:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 584

DONATE TO ME
random boot animation I made for eternity project :P
http://diamantephoto.com/bootanimation_red.zip

Also: 1.2.6 without losing /data, in case you were wondering exactly why I made this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1073439
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the2dcour For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kholk
Old
Thanks Meter 3799

DONATE TO ME
kexec pack updated. now kexec-tools is included
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kholk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

k4r1m
Old
(Last edited by k4r1m; 14th May 2011 at 08:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 11
@kholk: Hai;
so basically this is a port of the unix kexec to run on tegra based devices?
From my understanding the android system uses a boot image that has the ramdisk and kernel combined together and they are dependent on each other... so won't overwriting the kernel at runtime give you us some issues since the core initialization of the system is ran from the ramdisk???

wouldn't be a better idea to tackle this issue too? but then again the only reason we can't flash boot images is because of the bootloader but ofcourse this is definitely a step forward for the tegra users.

now about the kernel, theoretically if we build an aosp tegra kernel from http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=ker....git;a=summary shouldn't it work?

:P I can try building us a kernel if that would work

PS: people let's keep this dev ONLY if you want us to get some progress we need able to read through the thread without useless posts.

edit: also found this https://opensource.motorola.com/sf/f...ix/frs.olympus I'm sure having the source for the kernel we are currently running is also helpful
yamz.
it's tastes like lobsterz.
The Following User Says Thank You to k4r1m For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ratchet556
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I know we should keep this dev only but please don't tell me this is for ATT only i already feel shafted enough being a Bell user and that would make it a hell of a lot worse if it was

kholk
Old
Thanks Meter 3799

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet556 View Post
I know we should keep this dev only but please don't tell me this is for ATT only i already feel shafted enough being a Bell user and that would make it a hell of a lot worse if it was
When a kernel that works will be deployed I'll personally port it to Bell Atrix. This will take only some seconds.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kholk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

franciscojavierleon
Old
Thanks Meter 38
kholk, perhaps we can ask a defy developer (or any of the phones that have kexec working) to help us build the kernel.

it's too bad da_g isn't around, he did a custom kernel but wasn't able to boot it.

lostinbeta
Old
Thanks Meter 27
I'm not a developer so I am hoping someone can help me understand this process better. From my understanding kexec is used as a reboot method that skips initial bootloader and hardware loading so how will this effect if we turn our phone off or pull the battery? Will the device need to be rebooted after initial startup to reactivate the kexec? Sorry to sound like the newbie that I am, I'm just interested in learning more.

thebeardedchild
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinbeta View Post
I'm not a developer so I am hoping someone can help me understand this process better. From my understanding kexec is used as a reboot method that skips initial bootloader and hardware loading so how will this effect if we turn our phone off or pull the battery? Will the device need to be rebooted after initial startup to reactivate the kexec? Sorry to sound like the newbie that I am, I'm just interested in learning more.
Yeah, I'm also a little confused as to what exactly this means for all of us people who want to just flash Custom ROMs and such? In what ways is this different than just an unlocked bootloader and such?

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe