Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,503 Members 37,412 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

how to edit your build.prop to get things like netflix working

Tip us?

krinilssen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default how to edit your build.prop to get things like netflix working

Root is required. Make a Nandroid backup! (I accidentally deleted by build.prop file and bootlooped my phone)
1) Download ES File Explorer (Or any other root file editor)
2) In ES File Explorer, go into Setting > Root Settings and enable both check boxes
3) Navigate to /system/ and copy/paste build.prop to /sdcard/ (just in case)
4) Open & edit /system/build.prop
5) Change the following lines to make your phone think it is a HTC G2:
ro.product.model=HTC Vision
ro.product.manufacturer=HTC
OR
ro.product.model=Nexus S
ro.product.manufacturer=samsung
6) Reboot the phone
7) Install the netflix apk (if you haven't already)
8) Enjoy

thedarkharlequin
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default HELP!

I've run into a problem with this. My phone has gone into bootloop.

Is there a way to copy the build.prop I backed up on my sdcard to the /system/build.prop without booting the phone,... I.E. from the cyanogen recovery mode?
The Following User Says Thank You to thedarkharlequin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

t3gaming
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkharlequin View Post
I've run into a problem with this. My phone has gone into bootloop.

Is there a way to copy the build.prop I backed up on my sdcard to the /system/build.prop without booting the phone,... I.E. from the cyanogen recovery mode?
I have the same issue right now but I don't have Cyanogen Rec Mode. I just have the ENG Bootloader and that's it.

theberidox
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy Same issue with Samsung Fascinate

Anyone have any ideas how to copy back a build.prop if the phone is stuck in a boot loop? Adb won't work as it doesn't get far enough in boot to connect and it won't connect in recovery mode. As I can get into recovery, I may be able to flash a rom but that would be a worse case scenario.

t3gaming
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by theberidox View Post
Anyone have any ideas how to copy back a build.prop if the phone is stuck in a boot loop? Adb won't work as it doesn't get far enough in boot to connect and it won't connect in recovery mode. As I can get into recovery, I may be able to flash a rom but that would be a worse case scenario.
I haven't yet tried ADB but since you've already answered my question then I guess we're stuck and must upload a stock rom and run it. I will try it once I get home but for now any new info would help. Sucks not having a phone at all

dsb9938
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3,151

DONATE TO ME
Can you not boot into recovery, mount system and use adb shell to copy the file from the SDCard?

D

t3gaming
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb9938 View Post
Can you not boot into recovery, mount system and use adb shell to copy the file from the SDCard?

D
No sir. I cannot do such procedure. I'm trying to load the update.zip without wiping all my info out. I can go into recovery but cannot mount. I cannot use ADB it says error device offline.

theberidox
Old
(Last edited by theberidox; 15th May 2011 at 09:42 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Talking Bootloop Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb9938 View Post

D
Thanks. I forgot to mount system. I'm back up and running now. Using clockwork recovery, I mounted system and then adb was able to connect. I then used "adb push build.prop /system/" to move a corrected copy from my pc to the phone (I had originally used an on-phone editer that reformated the file and caused the issue). Rebooted phone and it booted. Netflix still doesn't work, (I changed the ro.product.model=Nexus S & ro.product.manufacturer=Samsung) but at least my phone is back.

FYI Update: I changed my build.prop to ro.product.model=HTC Vision & ro.product.manufacturer=HTC and now no longer get the unsuported message but Netflix now closes after log-in. I guess this was all for nothing for me.

caleb220
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Having problems with captivate

ES explorer wont work, so I had to buy different one. Changed it to Nexus S, rebooted, opened netflix, get an error message saying my device is not supported. Please help.

babydollnyroch
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'm rooted and unknown sources is on and I dl'd es file explorer and went into settings and root options and click on root explorer it asks cyanogen or HiAPK rom. Is there a specific rom I should be running? When i click root explorer then i get "test failed. This feature cannot run on your phone, and then pops up to grant superuser permissions. Any suggestions? Thanks