Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,924 Members 45,490 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best Apps & Video Player for Xperia Play: Supporting MKV with srt /ssa subs '720p'

Tip us?

kenshindono
Old
(Last edited by kenshindono; 18th May 2011 at 04:29 PM.) Reason: French do mistake on spelling
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Wink Best Apps & Video Player for Xperia Play: Supporting MKV with srt /ssa subs '720p'

I'am an huge fan of Japanese anime and i do prefer watching my movies and series in their native language with subs. Yesterday i was checking the market for the Holy grail and after 4 hours i finally found the solution.

So after installing and checked every player in the market i finally found the only player that can play BD Rip 720p (1280x720) with subs (srt & ssa) function with hardware acceleration.

I tested all the Free and priced application and i can tell for sure that many of those one don't play MKV and need optimization and work on hardware acceleration:

RockPlayer (pro) 1.7.2 : Laggy, don't load subtitles, glitch/pixelation/macroblock depending on the video.
No support for hardware acceleration for Xperia Play use software mode to play the video.
Good Menu and options
Move to SD

Vplayer 0.9.4 (unlocker): Buggy, laggy, don't load subtitles inside MKV incremented, glitch/pixelation/macroblock depending on the video.
No support for hardware acceleration for Xperia Play use software mode to play the video.
Move to SD

Best video Player : Might be the same as above with a different name Not tested...

VLC direct pro: Streaming load movies and video from computer...
Forget about it...

VitalPlayer 1.2.7 (Pro)
: Play fine with little lag in software mode, don't load subtitles inside MKV. (UTF 8 not supported ?) glitch/pixelation/macroblock depending on the video.
Good option and menu but ugly interface
Move to SD

MvideoPlayer 2.8.2 : This app is weird cause it says that it DOES ONLY PLAY WHAT YOUR PHONE ALREADY SUPPORTS... but to tell you the truth what the purpose of a player if it plays what you have already.
Don't load any MKV on Xperia Play
Good interface.
Move to SD

QQplayer 1.0.152: One of the best player i tested using Software acceleration - in fact this player can play everything i tried with some little lag at starts but really the subtitles are working with some errors on opening in Anime but everything works fine when you are watching the episode.
Many usefull option and simple interface.
Move to SD (really small size)

ArcMedia 1.5 (pro): What! No app2SD! Big! Don't waste my time ! Not tested

MoboPlayer v1.2.145
Free; This player is awesome, great interface can play everything smoothly, Move to SD small size in internal, Thumb support, Ultra great option that permit almost everything. Support Hardware Acceleration for Xperia Play ! No Lag, Subtitle working greatly (multi sub track works) Opening in anime show all the subtitles : lyrics/translation/japanese
1080p: Laggy
Play every Format and accept stream
Best of the Best

https://market.android.com/details?i...ature=top-free

Quote:
Description
Enjoy Your Videos.

The best video player on Android! Watch any of your videos on a phone without conversion, anytime and anywhere.

We feature the best playback experience and quality.

Our video player supports:
All video formats (need to choose "software decoding" mode in most cases)
Popular subtitle formats such as SRT, ASS, and SAA
Subtitles built in MKV, MPV, MOV, and others
Multi-audio streams and multi-subtitles
Playlists and continuous play on same type files
Videos streamed through HTTP, RTSP protocols
Media libraries and sort videos by type
Thumbnail displays of videos

Changelog Already Added. 5 Star PLZ!! -_-!!!

---
Make the best player for Android platform can not satisfy us now! Now we want to develop a perfection software on Android. If you have any suggestions or bugs, you are welcome to notify us by the following ways:
email: mobo@moboplayer.com

This link is only for those who cannot access market ! Remember the app is free and the count is important for the dev! Also there is update made for this tool! you might want the last version ?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZUGZK1J4

If someone found another great player and make a review and share it. That would be Great

-------
Update May 18: (see post bellow)
Application Compatible and working fine with Xperia Play
I did some other test/comparison on many others program here what I found and chosen per Type:

Note Almost all of them move to SD

Remote: MPC-HC Remote
FTP client (Phone to pc): AndFTP
IRC client : Android IRC
Unrar/rar/zip/unzip : Androzip
File transfer Wifi GPRS : Dropbox
PC Control: Teamviewer
Emulation (Neogeo and others): Tiger Arcade and N64oid
File Explorer: Astro, AndExplorer, Appinstaller
Task Management: Advanced Task Killer
Cache Cleaner: 1Tap Cleaner
GPS: IGO
Music: PowerAMP

I will make another thread for Games (i have tested a lot too)

Enjoy your xPlay
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kenshindono For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DeadlyDazza
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Great post, good of you to take the time out to post your testing results.

Mozza2k11
Old
(Last edited by Mozza2k11; 15th May 2011 at 08:15 PM.)
Thanks Meter 94
+1, This is a great post . Never thought of watching anime on my phone. Might have to give it a try. Thanks for taking the time saves me some trouble.

Quote:
I'am an huge fan of Japanese anime and i do prefer watching my movies and series in their native language with subs
*shudders @ the thought of people watching english dubs*

DeadlyDazza
Old
Thanks Meter 78
And, gotta give you thanks for the heads up on mobo player.
I've been converting all my video files for use with mVideoPlayer. Just tested mobo player with a couple of files (mp4, mkv, wmv & 'video clip'), works a treat, you've saved me a lot of time there.

Deblow
Old
Thanks Meter 6
just what i was looking for, thank for the time spent m8

kenshindono
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
No problem i like helping when i found something usefull

I did some other test/comparison on many others program here what I found and chosen per Type:

Note Almost all of them move to SD

Remote: MPC-HC Remote
FTP client (Phone to pc): AndFTP
IRC client : Android IRC
Unrar/rar/zip/unzip : Androzip
File transfer Wifi GPRS : Dropbox
PC Control: Teamviewer
Emulation (Neogeo and others): Tiger Arcade and N64oid
File Explorer: Astro, AndExplorer, Appinstaller
Task Management: Advanced Task Killer
Cache Cleaner: 1Tap Cleaner
GPS: IGO
Music: PowerAMP

I will make a thread for Games (i have tested a lot too)

dsswoosh
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I was lucky and found Mobo Player in a few minutes. Didn't realise people didn't know about it or i woulda made a mobo player thread ages ago.

Here's a tip for Mobo Player -

If a video file doesn't play, switch to software mode and it will work.

I havn't come across an.avi file that hasn't worked perfectly on my Xperia Play with Mobo Player yet.

It is indeed awesome

neptune
Old
Thanks Meter 13
cant say I've gotten around to watchning videos on the device apart from BBC iPlayer or YouTube but I'll definitely give it a shot. You never know when you need a video player

XPERIA PLAY - UNBRANDED

thatsupnow
Old
Thanks Meter 339
Thanks dude I do lots of road trips and this will be perfect, especially since rockplayer doesn't work for me

Sent from my R800i using XDA App
Samsung Galaxy S4 I337M
Omega Rom v3

Samsung Galaxy S3 I747M
Task650 AOKP 4.1.2 Faux 1.8 ghz

other phones:

Sony Ericcson
Play
Arc
X10

refract
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I don't really have a Play, but seeing Arc and Play are pmuch the same thing - Arc Media Pro is hands down the best media player, MoboPlayer lags when you compare the two
Ericsson T20e -> Ericsson R600 -> Sony Ericsson T630i -> Sony Ericsson K700i -> Sony Ericsson W580i -> Sony Ericsson W705i -> Sony Ericsson X8 -> Sony Ericsson Arc -- Sony Xperia S -- Sony Xperia Z

Tags
720p, compatibility, hd video, video player, xperia play