ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

white evo sanding polishing painting mod

OP skydeaner

17th May 2011, 09:16 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag champaign
Thanks Meter: 130

846 posts
More
Just thought I would share pictures of what I did. I have like 10 different colors of jelly cases I use and only one of them went with the red accents on the phone. So I sanded down the camera ring to remove the red anodizing and then polished it to a mirror finish. And I painted the red plastic under the kickstands a gloss black. Looks good with my white and black back now, and looks tons better with all my cases.

CLICK ON THE PICTURE FOR TONS OF PICTURES LOL

I think it should have came like this in the first place, not everyone is a fan of red.... and if you live in Chicago you might get shot for sporting a black and red phone lololol.

Things you will need

800-2000 grit sandpapers
masking tape
Olfa razor knife
Krylon Fusion Black Gloss spray paint - Must be this brand if you want it to be permanent
Headlight polishing kit from an autoparts store (not what i used, but close enough it would work exactly the same, not everyone has a polishing kit laying around like I do)

What to do

Take battery cover and battery off phone

Pry camera ring off with your fingernails, it comes off ridiculously easy

Tape off entire phone for work on the kickstand area

Use multiple layers of straight tape around the ends of the kickstand recess, rather than trying to bend or curve the tape.

Rough up the kickstand recess with 800grit to make sure the paint has something to better adhere to

Spray light coats until you are satisfied, 8 minutes between coats, 2 hrs after final coat

Cut around recess very exactly and carefully with a very sharp blade like an Olfa to make sure the paint doesn't peel when removing the tape.

Take all the tape off of the phone

After 24 hrs you may lower your kickstand, until then keep it up. the paint will feel dry way before then, but you WILL DENT IT by lowering the kickstand and keeping it down.

After the 24 hours tape off the entire phone again including the freshly painted area

Sand the kickstand and camera ring with 1500-2000grit

Make sure all of the pink and weird color under it is gone from the camera ring and all of the brushed lines are gone from the kickstand

Polish with just the foam pad and water from the headlight lens polishing kit.

It will look like glass

Polish any tiny scratches out by hand with a microfiber and some sort of polishing compound. I used novus heavy scratch remover as it is very gently and made for hard acrylics, some of which are harder than his aluminum for sure.

Ask me any questions, it is late and I might have left some stuff out lol.
Last edited by skydeaner; 19th May 2011 at 06:47 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skydeaner For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th May 2011, 09:51 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 266

1,955 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydeaner

Just thought I would share pictures of what I did. I have like 10 different colors of jelly cases I use and only one of them went with the red accents on the phone. So I sanded down the camera ring to remove the red anodizing and then polished it to a mirror finish. And I painted the red plastic under the kickstands a gloss black. Looks good with my white and black back now, and looks tons better with all my cases.

I think it should have came like this in the first place, not everyone is a fan of red.... and if you live in Chicago you might get shot for sporting a black and red phone lololol.

Why would you get shot for sporting a black and red phone? Its the colors of the blackhawks and the bulls?
17th May 2011, 10:09 PM   |  #3  
Flag Miami
Thanks Meter: 166

642 posts
Looks good. Good job.
17th May 2011, 10:33 PM   |  #4  
Flag St. Louis
Thanks Meter: 2

101 posts
I sanded down the bezel of mine to get the red trim a while ago. I'm starting to hate it though; looks too bright.

Really wish I did something like this instead. Nice work.
17th May 2011, 10:37 PM   |  #5  
Flag Stafford, VA
Thanks Meter: 142

927 posts
More
That looks pretty cool.

I like it
17th May 2011, 10:48 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag champaign
Thanks Meter: 130

846 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem3Dy

Why would you get shot for sporting a black and red phone? Its the colors of the blackhawks and the bulls?

Just a joke about the black and red prominance of vice lords - a street gang in bad Chicago neighborhoods. I don't know how popular vicelords are now days. It might have been a 90s thing.

Thanks for the comments everyone, the camera ring is VERY soft aluminum so removing the anodizing is very easy and polishing took less than five minutes. I used 800 grit to remove the anodizing, but it had been used before and it worked more in the range of 1000 to 1200 and then just a foam polishing pad on a high speed drill and a little water for first Polish and microfiber by hand with a little acrylic Polish for final mirroring.

The part under the kickstands, I took the battery cover off and taped off the entire phone with masking tape paying special attention to the edges around the kickstands area. Then sprayed with krylon fusion gloss black. Make sure you put multiple layers of tape on the entire phone so spray dust doest get in any crevices. Use automotive masking tape for around the kickstands recess so it makes a clean edge when you remove it. Sand cut the paint with an olfa razor before peeling it off or it might peel the paint where you want it to stick.
Last edited by skydeaner; 17th May 2011 at 10:58 PM.
17th May 2011, 10:49 PM   |  #7  
The Emerald City
Thanks Meter: 146

1,101 posts
You have some better images? The one posted is a little dark and washed out.
17th May 2011, 10:49 PM   |  #8  
Flag Bronx, NY
Thanks Meter: 3

24 posts
More
Came out great...you're right they should have made it like that in the first place...3 questions what did u use to sand down the red ring...what did u use to polish it and what kind of black gloss paint did u use for under the kickstand...I really would love to do this to mines

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
17th May 2011, 11:19 PM   |  #9  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 2

39 posts
More
Nice man, looks really clean.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA Premium App
18th May 2011, 02:43 AM   |  #10  
LQ
Thanks Meter: 45

272 posts