If it were me, return it ASAP. Use the 7 days distance selling regulations clause for return, notify them and return it with proof of postage (think that covers you the amount paid), or recorded/special delivery. Don't wait for any kind of s/w upgrade, as I think it is a h/w issue.
Getting a bad vibe about this purchase now. I though Expansys were reasonably reliable / competent. Should have mine by the time I'm back in the UK, assuming the ash cloud has dispersed.
Bluetooth will be the first thing I try.