Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,290 Members 53,251 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[INFO] Mali-400MP GPU vs Adreno 220 GPU

Tip us?

Trekest
Old
Thanks Meter 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagnell View Post
Strange that the GS2 blows the Sensation out of the water on every graphics benchmark test in that case, and in particular the recently released NenaMark 2.
Let me start by saying - yes, I agree there's something fishy going on with the Sensation - it doesn't utilize its resources very well and I do hope this will be fixed with a software update.

I'll take the Nenamark scores with a pinch of salt - looking at the S2 page on Nena2 shows how favored it is by overclockers.

And before you start shouting at me - yes, I did see that the Sensation's highest score is lower than the S2's lowest score. But I still maintain my opinion that this is just a resource handling problem, not the lack of them.

And to correct the one above me who said that the Mali is quad core, I'll quote someone smarter than me:
Quote:
MALI-400 has only a single vertex processor regardless of the number of cores. With a quad-core it would still have a single vertex processor, but 4 fragment processors.
If I understood correctly, then it's a multi-threaded single core layout (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Why did I write all that? Maybe to feel better about buying it (not that I need to ), maybe just to stop the trend of mourning the Sensation even before its official release (stop shouting! official worldwide release), maybe just to blow off some steam from this crappy day.

Take it as you will
HTC One M7, Rom: Stock v5.11.401.10
Asus Transformer Prime TF201, Rom: CROMBi-kk 4.4.2 F2FS
Alumni: Nokia 51102 SK Crap SlidersSamsung SCH-A630Samsung SCH-R500Nokia N96 (my first dual core phone, it is!)HTC Sensation
My nickname is uniquely idiotic, and fits the person using it.

Maedhros
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekest View Post

And before you start shouting at me - yes, I did see that the Sensation's highest score is lower than the S2's lowest score. But I still maintain my opinion that this is just a resource handling problem, not the lack of them.

And to correct the one above me who said that the Mali is quad core, I'll quote someone smarter than me:

If I understood correctly, then it's a multi-threaded single core layout (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Why did I write all that? Maybe to feel better about buying it (not that I need to ), maybe just to stop the trend of mourning the Sensation even before its official release (stop shouting! official worldwide release), maybe just to blow off some steam from this crappy day.

Take it as you will
Yes... it seems that its not 4 physical cores...

But also... If it is truly a resource managing issue then this is very disappointing.

We all know HTC makes better stock roms then Samsung. So TBH I HIGHLY doubt its a resource management issue.

To all who says Andreno 220 is better then Mali 400... LOL.

Intratech
Old
Thanks Meter 4,505

DONATE TO ME
Erm, starting to change my mind now about buying the Sensation. Doesn't seem so sensational now.
Need official GT-I9100 firmwares? http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1075278
Need official GT-I9300 firmwares? http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1671969

I don't want to help and provide tech support by PM. Please post on the forum so everyone can learn from each other

[/CENTER]
The Following User Says Thank You to Intratech For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

supersilko
Old
Thanks Meter 8
its not that much of a difference between these phone but Im going with HTC because of the quality its offering. I know its a little bit slower and drain more battery, I got chargers everywhere I go.

It always has been Quality VS Performance, too hard to get both because it would cost too much money for them to give you both and not many people would be able to afford a $700+ phone

Maedhros
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intratech View Post
Erm, starting to change my mind now about buying the Sensation. Doesn't seem so sensational now.
Yes...

I think HTC is falling into its old Windows Mobile Upgrade pattern where if does Minimal incremental Upgrades Between Generations...

Very sad to see HTC Doing this

Mafiatounes
Old
Thanks Meter 27
I don't know why everybody is shouting that mali 400 is bad my Sgs 2 is clearly faster, smoother than my friends sensation in real life, further mine also plays more video codecs, ok game developpers don't use the standard open gl 2.0 but this will change (is changing), furthermore adreno 220 is not a bad gpu it has more support due to compatibility with games made for 200 & 205.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 2 using Tapatalk Pro
Current Phone(s): Nokia Lumia 930, Xperia Z2
Tablet(s):
Previous Phones: Nokia Lumia 1020, Motorola Moto G, Xperia Z1, Galaxy S4, HTC One, Galaxy Note II, iPhone 5, Lumia 920, Galaxy S III, One X, Galaxy Note, iPhone 4s, Galaxy Nexus...
Previous Tablet(s): iPad Mini 2, iPad 4, Google Nexus 7, iPad 3, iPad 2

jrwingate6
Old
Thanks Meter 126
I have been debating between the Sensation and Galaxy S II for a couple months now. I don't game that much but I do game sometimes. The only 2 games I play on a regular basis is Home Run Battle 3D and Angry Birds so there the only 2 that is important to me. Does anyone know if they run on the Mali?

This past week has been a huge let down for me regarding the Sensation due to all of the video reviews I've been seeing with UI and browser lag. I love the looks of it and theres not doubt it looks better made than the SGSII from the outside. I'll take aluminum over plastic any day of the week.

In the end, I care about power over build quality (as long as the lesser of the two isn't a total POS in the build department) but after seeing video after video of each device it is obvious that the SGSII is more powerful which has been confirmed by many reputable reviewers such as Miriam and Vlad from Engadget. I think HTC really screwed up by using the A8 architecture instead of the A9. That would have surely made the Sensation move.

In the end, I currently have a G2X and I'm not in any rush. Maybe I'll sit back and see if a software update helps the Sensation but I refuse to give up my non lagging G2X for something that appears to be less powerful from what I see in the videos.

Current Devices:
Nexus 7 GEN 2
Samsung GS3
Nexus 4

ph0b0z
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwingate6 View Post
In the end, I currently have a G2X and I'm not in any rush. Maybe I'll sit back and see if a software update helps the Sensation but I refuse to give up my non lagging G2X for something that appears to be less powerful from what I see in the videos.
It's a little OT but: I think about getting a Optimus 2X (since the SGS2/Sensation is a little too expensive) but what really annoys me by watching one Youtube-Video after another.. the browser performance! i'm really interested if a "simple" Gingerbread update will help the Tegra2 phones since i don't see a real advantage in this case in comparison to the Nexus/Galaxy S generation?

And i read that the Optimus 2x can't handle 720p flash video, while the SGS2 does 1080p without problems?

i'm really interested in the reasons for that, and if tegra2 can be helped by better software/drivers/flash..

bong4316
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Wink Sgs2 is v-sync limited

The benchmarks showing the sgs2 being slower doesnt take into consideration that The Sgs2 like the original galaxy s is framecapped at a little less than 60 fps
because of v-synch. 60hz which is the natural vsynch rate of LCDs.
Should samsung remove the frame cap then there could be a fair comparison.

As mentioned earlier the mali 400 gpu is capable of texture compresion and is in fact fully opengl compliant.
Nvidia and PowerVr use their own proprietary texture compression routines which is why some gameloft games had to be rewritten a bit to accomodate the mali 400.

Its just how it handles alpha transparencies which isnt its fault but opengl es2
standard, which is also a reason why some games had to be modified a bit to factor in the mali 400 since most games are optimized for powervr, qualcoom snapdaragon and nvidia tegra.
Fear not since gameloft and other dvelopers are working on this issue they are just going to add code.

However its when playing 1080p Flash youll see that the sgs2 is doing it smoothly
while the sensation has lag when even just loading a flash heavy page.
There are numerous youtube videos showing this and i also saw this in person
when we compared a friends sgs2 to a sensation in loading youtube, engadget website, played flash games etc.

To make it even we used the same wifi source for both phones and turned off 3g, turned off all widgets , any app, both were optimized to run only the apps we tested like flash in browser, games etc.

The Sgs2 was really a dream to run.
The sensation was only laggy subjectively when both phones were side by side to be fair.
If the Sgs2 wasnt by its side you'd say the sensation was smooth also.
However the sensation just doesnt play 1080p flash very well its obvious.
The Sgs2 was very smooth with 1080p flash with just a few dropped frames from time to time which i think is due to wifi network congestion in the area we tested.

If only the sgs2 wasnt so expensive.

Luijo123
Old
Thanks Meter 1
/sigh.....