Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,814 Members 43,857 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] is xbmc installable?

Tip us?

ricostuart
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] is xbmc installable?

I love XBMC on my home ubuntu pc, and i know it is tegra2 enabled, but anyone know if it will be installable onto the tablet?

ConstantineXVI
Old
Thanks Meter 3
If you can get Ubuntu running on it, sure. Otherwise, barring an Android port you can forget about it.

ricostuart
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
i hope they do get it to work - especially as its working well for ipads, iphone4, etc.

bstag
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Why?

I guess i just don't really understand the use of xbmc on a tablet. On my htpc sure.

Zach Alt
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Use Plex.

Stupid character limit.

ricostuart
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Xbmc is an awesome platform for video playback, plus cab link library's with a central unit. Would work well with my setup.

ricostuart
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
ok just read my post and it didnt make sense! (was typing using iphone!)

XBMC is an awesome program for video playback and library. I would want to use it on the tablet for viewing as I can link multiple xbmc librarys to the main central one i use on my htpc (which also acts as a home server using ubuntu). I know that it is running as a upnp server too, but its the library linking that would be great - i watch a lot of tv shows, etc.

ELTinos
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricostuart View Post

XBMC is an awesome program for video playback and library. I would want to use it on the tablet for viewing as I can link multiple xbmc librarys to the main central one i use on my htpc (which also acts as a home server using ubuntu). I know that it is running as a upnp server too, but its the library linking that would be great - i watch a lot of tv shows, etc.
I only got the XBMC Remote to work to control my pc and use the DLNA-functionality of XBMC on my PC to have him act as my media server and watch it with upnplayer. XBMC does make a navigationable library as media server where you can select on actor, year, director, title etc. but it is not as fancy with covers and banners as in XBMC.

Gary13579
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricostuart View Post

XBMC should be capable of doing what you want through DLNA. Go into settings and enable UPnP video sharing, then browse to it on your TF, and it should show your entire library across all xbmc devices. And it lists the files in library mode, not file mode, so you get the pretty naming instead of viewing raw folders.

If you mean you want things like posters, metadata, etc then no this is not possible. XBMC is slowly being ported to ARM platforms but it is nowhere near usable except on the Apple TV 2. There is a ton of interest in getting it on ARM, but I haven't seen any work done for Tegra2, so chances are it will never run on our Transformers.