Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,501 Members 46,254 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to clone Microsd card ?

Tip us?
 
ranasrule
Old
#1  
ranasrule's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Posts: 1,204
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lahore
Default How to clone Microsd card ?

I just got a new 16gb Microsd card and want to shift everything from my old 8gb one....thing is i used the old one for AP2SD and Davlick to SD.....is there any way to "clone" the card so that i dont lose any apps and settings ?
 
crendot
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 92
Join Date: Aug 2010
put the old card out of the phone

insert it into a cardreader

start a linux of your choice(maybe Gparted-livecd) and mount your hdd and the sd-fat32 and sd-ext

now copy everything from the 2partitions on you harddisk

unmount the sd

put the new one in

if you use already use gparted its easy, make at the first part (left side) the fat 32 partition

than partition the rest as ext (would suggest ext-3 best suported) ~1gb

after this move the fat part on the fat partition and the ext on the ext partition

you should be done

good luck
Blub
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crendot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
hairykewell
Old
#3  
hairykewell's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 63
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sydney
Sounds easy!

Just had a question relating to this, would buying a class 6 SD card make much difference to the speed of the phone for a CM7 rom compared to a class 4 card?
 
InnerShark
Old
(Last edited by InnerShark; 26th May 2011 at 03:18 PM.)
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 11
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crendot View Post
put the old card out of the phone

insert it into a cardreader

start a linux of your choice(maybe Gparted-livecd) and mount your hdd and the sd-fat32 and sd-ext

now copy everything from the 2partitions on you harddisk

unmount the sd

put the new one in

if you use already use gparted its easy, make at the first part (left side) the fat 32 partition

than partition the rest as ext (would suggest ext-3 best suported) ~1gb

after this move the fat part on the fat partition and the ext on the ext partition

you should be done

good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranasrule View Post
I just got a new 16gb Microsd card and want to shift everything from my old 8gb one....thing is i used the old one for AP2SD and Davlick to SD.....is there any way to "clone" the card so that i dont lose any apps and settings ?

Well, it sounds easy, but I'm afraid it is not. (it seemed to me like my ROM held some kind of partition table with it, in which was defined how big the partitions were and which filetype they were in).
So after partitioning my new SD-card, different size and lay-out, my Phone did not want to mount the SD-card...
I tried this before and it didn't work.


I ended up doing a disc to disc copy (image cloning) from my 8gb to 16gb sd and only then it worked.
I used Acronis true image to get the job done.
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Burn this iso on disc, insert both SD-cards in pc and boot from the hirens boot disc. Then select imaging tools in the menu, select acronis
In acronis you select disk to disk copy or disk cloning and then select source (old SD), then proportional cloning, then select destination (new SD).

Should take about an hour.
If you need help, shout plz.

I will try to make a tutorial when I get home from work, or maybe later.

Grtz!

Shark
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InnerShark For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
InnerShark
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 11
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairykewell View Post
Sounds easy!

Just had a question relating to this, would buying a class 6 SD card make much difference to the speed of the phone for a CM7 rom compared to a class 4 card?
Hi,

Well not that much.
The class stands for max Mbps write or read spead, can't recall which of them two... so it makes a difference, but not that much.
From 4 to 10 makes much more difference

Grtz!
 
hairykewell
Old
#6  
hairykewell's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 63
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerShark View Post
Well, it sounds easy, but I'm afraid it is not. (it seemed to me like my ROM held some kind of partition table with it, in which was defined how big the partitions were and which filetype they were in).
So after partitioning my new SD-card, different size and lay-out, my Phone did not want to mount the SD-card...
I tried this before and it didn't work.


I ended up doing a disc to disc copy (image cloning) from my 8gb to 16gb sd and only then it worked.
I used Acronis true image to get the job done.
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Burn this iso on disc, insert both SD-cards in pc and boot from the hirens boot disc. Then select imaging tools in the menu, select acronis
In acronis you select disk to disk copy or disk cloning and then select source (old SD), then proportional cloning, then select destination (new SD).

Should take about an hour.
If you need help, shout plz.

I will try to make a tutorial when I get home from work, or maybe later.

Grtz!

Shark
Thanks for that, I'll try it when I buy a new card
 
x6121
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by crendot View Post
put the old card out of the phone

insert it into a cardreader

start a linux of your choice(maybe Gparted-livecd) and mount your hdd and the sd-fat32 and sd-ext

now copy everything from the 2partitions on you harddisk

unmount the sd

put the new one in

if you use already use gparted its easy, make at the first part (left side) the fat 32 partition

than partition the rest as ext (would suggest ext-3 best suported) ~1gb

after this move the fat part on the fat partition and the ext on the ext partition

you should be done

good luck
Thanks~IT's useful to me~
 
pyroguy7
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicago
Thanks for this one! I have a class 2 microsd in my t-mobile g2/htc desire z, and I just bought a class 10. Can't wait to give this a go

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Choose from Over a Thousand Battery Styles with 3Minit Battery Mod

The battery style in stock Android looks pretty dull. It doesn’t … more

Organize Your Cloud Storage Files with Unclouded

Cloud storage services like Dropbox or Google Drive have grown in popularity dramatically … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Blur Your System Notification Panel – XDA Developer TV

Listen, we love innovative applications and modules that … more

Android 4.4.3 Begins Rolling Out to European HTC One M8

Shortly after the USA Unlocked and Developer Editions of the HTC One M8 received the … more