[Recovery] ClockworkMod - 5.5.0.4 - (Update: 07/11/12)

Search This thread

yay pie

Jan 23, 2011
Does the 10.1 require some additional driver to use fastboot on a Mac?

I have the device in USB mode and it says fastboot in the top left corner of the screen, but "fastboot devices" returns nothing.

I've had no problem using fastboot to flash stuff on my N1, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong here.

yyhd

Apr 2, 2011
California
Does the 10.1 require some additional driver to use fastboot on a Mac?

I have the device in USB mode and it says fastboot in the top left corner of the screen, but "fastboot devices" returns nothing.

I've had no problem using fastboot to flash stuff on my N1, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong here.

I have a Mac, but I have never tried running anything root related on a Mac. Sorry :(

Archangel

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
can someone direct me to a workable location where the correct drivers are located,,,most of the ones i find are saying 403 error?

Archangel

Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
Ok got my tab today and rooted fine but when i got to install cwm it and i press the power and volume down button then click on the usb icon the fastboot words and some other stuff come up in the upper left hand corner and when i got to cmd on my computer and type fastboot devices nothing happens?

adb requires the phone (tab in this case) to be on and in debugging mode. Fastboot requires the devices to be off and in fastboot mode.

Adb and fastboot are 2 different things. If I am not mistaken (which i can be), you cannot detect your tab in fastboot mode if you are in ADB. And you cannot detect your tab in ADB if you are in fastboot. But I am not entirely sure about this.

You are not using ADB to push the img. You need to use fastboot to to "force" the boot to use the CWM img instead of the stock one that samsung put on.

Here is what I did. I turned off my device, held down the power button+volume down to get it into Download/USB mode. Pick USB mode, and you will see some words come onto the top left of the screen. One of them will say "Fastboot." That how you know you're in Fastboot. Then check in CMD for "fastboot devices" and it should be listed.

Once you see your device listed, go ahead and run fastboot boot recovery-cwm-blah-blah-blah.

yyhd

Apr 2, 2011
California
Ok got my tab today and rooted fine but when i got to install cwm it and i press the power and volume down button then click on the usb icon the fastboot words and some other stuff come up in the upper left hand corner and when i got to cmd on my computer and type fastboot devices nothing happens?

It should be there if it's plugged in the USB. Do you have USB Debugging set to on?

If you're able to connect through adb, it's no different to connect fastboot.

Archangel

Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
i know it is wierd i have usb debugging on and when i check and do a adb devices check it shows my connection in adb?

Am i correct that I just open up a command prompt on my computer then type in fastboot devices?

It should be there if it's plugged in the USB. Do you have USB Debugging set to on?

Archangel

Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
i ADB pushed the recovery zip file to sd card and extracted it i am wondering if i can just replace the recovery file there with this one and reboot?

yyhd

Apr 2, 2011
California
i know it is wierd i have usb debugging on and when i check and do a adb devices check it shows my connection in adb?

Am i correct that I just open up a command prompt on my computer then type in fastboot devices?

while in command, make sure you "cd" the correct file that fastboot is located in.

Make sure you also have the tab set to fastboot mode.

With those, it should definitely connect.

For me:

cd c:\android-sdk\tools

fastboot devices
<10.1 Tab will show up>

fastboot boot blah-blah-blah

And then it worked.

Archangel

Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
yeah i put my files in c:/android-sdk-windows/tools

do you extract the file from the zip then place it in the tools folder or place the whole zip file in there?

while in command, make sure you "cd" the correct file that fastboot is located in.

For me:

fastboot devices
<10.1 Tab will show up>

And then it worked.

Archangel

Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
one more thing how do i set the tab to fastboot mode? Is that when you press power and volume down then press it over to usb?

For me:

fastboot devices
<10.1 Tab will show up>

And then it worked.

Archangel

Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
I think it may be a driver issue i installed the kies install and i can run adb fine but nothing when i try to connect in fastboot,,,,

why is this so different then the xoom this is what i did for that

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot reboot

one more thing how do i set the tab to fastboot mode? Is that when you press power and volume down then press it over to usb?

Archangel

Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
when i connect the usb cable shouldnt the drive of the galaxy tab pop up on my computer like it does for my xoom?

I think it may be a driver issue i installed the kies install and i can run adb fine but nothing when i try to connect in fastboot,,,,

why is this so different then the xoom this is what i did for that

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot reboot

yyhd

Apr 2, 2011
California
yeah i put my files in c:/android-sdk-windows/tools

do you extract the file from the zip then place it in the tools folder or place the whole zip file in there?

extract it and put it in the same file your fastboot is located in. For my it's c/android-sdk/tools

Yes.

pershoot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 1, 2008
Thank you i get a waiting on device after i do it how long did it take to load for you?

what OS are you on?

for windows to get fastboot going,
install the samsung drivers for usb:
http://droidbasement.com/galaxy/drivers/Samsung_USB_Driver_P4_Including_Escape.zip

i assume you already have adb access, so your .inf is up to date. if not, put this in there under the appropriate heading for your os (x86 or 64):

;
;Galaxy Tab 10.1
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_04E8&PID_6860&REV_9999&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_04E8&PID_6860&MI_01
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_04E8&PID_6601
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000

src: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1064793

then rienstall the driver.

if you still cant get fastboot going:
delete the fastboot/adb driver in device manager and/or via usbdeview
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

then unplug, replug. let it reinstall the driver.

you should be good now.

Reactions: jamn224 and yyhd

Top Liked Posts