Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: Which icon do you prefer?
Icon 1 - Square with Reminder Text 118 60.82%
Icon 3 - Andorid Icon with Clock Belt 30 15.46%
Icon 4 - Android Icon in Corner with Reminder Text 46 23.71%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

[APP} Amazon Free App of the Day Notifier [Updated 10/04/2011 - Back at it!!!]

OP cody_04l

22nd May 2011, 10:11 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 89

125 posts
Description
I wrote this app because I constantly forget to look at the free app of the day on the Amazon market and have missed out on a few really good apps.

Help Needed
This is version 1.0 so I expect there to be some bugs. If you have any questions,comments, or issues with the app please let me know.

I've added a good bit of info to the notification and plan to include more info with the addition of a custom layout.

How do I use it?
Once installed open Appstore Reminder from your applications. Click on the reminder time option and set what time you'd like to be notified. You can click on Test Reminder option to generate an instant reminder to see how it will look.

Clicking on the notification will dismiss the notification and open the Amazon Appstore app where you can download the app.

Thanks to everyone who test's this. I'd love to hear feedback good or bad. I plan on posting this to the market after it's been tested by all you fine folks!

UPDATE 5/24/2011
Now on the Android market as Amazon Free App Reminder. If you'd like to donate for future development please consider purchasing the Market version. This will also ensure easier updated in the future and I've got some good ideas for future enhancements.

UPDATE 5/26/2011
I've attached three new icon suggestions. Let me know your thoughts and if you like any of them. Also any modifications to these three you feel would help.

UPDATE 6/01/2011
I've attached the final three icon's for voting via poll. Let me know what you all think.

UPDATE 10/04/2011
It was taken down as requested by Amazon trademark department. They requested that the name be changed in the Market. During this time my wife had our third child and I unfortunately haven't had enough time to get back to this. Three kids under the age of the 3 and a full time job is quite the workload on it's own.

When I get home today I'll be uploading the latest version that's in the market here for everyone that needs the update. Unfortunately my big update that I was about to release right before my baby was born was lost due to some data corruption. I'm finally getting back into things and will hopefully have a newer, better, aster, more enhanced app out within the next few weeks.

Again sorry to everyone for the delay. I greatly apologize for the time it's taken me to get back into things. So the app is in the market now and I'll be uploading the latest version later tonight.

Thanks,
Cody

Change Log
Version 3
- Force closes should be fixed. With the exception of when there is no data signal
- Added options to enable/disable vibration, soundm and LED when notification is triggered

Thanks,
Cody (RaueSoft Development)

Here you can download the application
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prefs.png
Views:	6332
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	603737   Click image for larger version

Name:	notification.png
Views:	6241
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	603738   Click image for larger version

Name:	qrnotifier.png
Views:	38237
Size:	564 Bytes
ID:	606331  
Attached Images

Last edited by cody_04l; 4th October 2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Included download llink
The Following 71 Users Say Thank You to cody_04l For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd May 2011, 12:09 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 19

128 posts
More
I've installed it and it seems to work rather well. It's nice that it tells you what app is available so you can decide whether or not you want to open to download, and that it provides quick access if you do want to. I'm curious though, why does this app need to access the sd card? Thanks for a great notification tool.

Sent from my Droid using XDA Premium App
22nd May 2011, 01:36 PM   |  #3  
Flag Weaverville, NC
Thanks Meter: 419

2,114 posts
More
Very nice! Good work. This is something that should be built into the appstore. I don't see any issues at all.

Sent from my CM7 SCH-i500
22nd May 2011, 05:56 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

125 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by esoomenona

I've installed it and it seems to work rather well. It's nice that it tells you what app is available so you can decide whether or not you want to open to download, and that it provides quick access if you do want to. I'm curious though, why does this app need to access the sd card? Thanks for a great notification tool.

Sent from my Droid using XDA Premium App

esoomenona,

Thank you for testing. I believe the sdcard access is coming from using minsdkversion in the manifest file. There is a bug in Android that will show that permission when installing an app out of the market. Once it's loaded on the market that permission will not be needed. You can see the screen capture below from the market.

Thanks,
Cody
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	perms.png
Views:	3383
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	604057  
22nd May 2011, 05:58 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

125 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageDieu

Very nice! Good work. This is something that should be built into the appstore. I don't see any issues at all.

Sent from my CM7 SCH-i500

I agree. I have coworkers that also have asked for something like this. I hope to help people that forget like myself...
22nd May 2011, 08:55 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
sorry if this is a noob thing, but mine is downloading as a .bin file, and ASTRO says it can't open it. what am I doing wrong?
22nd May 2011, 09:29 PM   |  #7  
Portland
Thanks Meter: 2

4 posts
More
Looks good. An option to toggle the vibrate on the notification might be nice.
22nd May 2011, 11:00 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

125 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conspirator_boff

Looks good. An option to toggle the vibrate on the notification might be nice.

I'll get that in later today. Thanks for the feedback.

Cody

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App
22nd May 2011, 11:03 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

125 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbaylinson

sorry if this is a noob thing, but mine is downloading as a .bin file, and ASTRO says it can't open it. what am I doing wrong?

Hmm. Try renaming the file with Astro .apk. The n try opening the file in Astro.

Cody

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App
23rd May 2011, 12:04 AM   |  #10  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 24

354 posts
More
Great!! I love it!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread