Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,985 Members 54,160 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[NOTICE] Gingerbread Related Bricking - May 27th 2011 update

Tip us?

jcase
Old
(Last edited by jcase; 29th May 2011 at 01:51 AM.)
Forum Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Taco Vendor - OP
Thanks Meter 6730

DONATE TO ME
Default [NOTICE] Gingerbread Related Bricking - May 27th 2011 update

There is no way to rule out GB as the cause of this failure right now. All we have is theories and the best fitting one is an emmc chip failure. Until we can find a user with a brick, who is still s-off, we can not learn more.

DO NOT FLASH OVER BRICKS, We need you to have s-off for trouble shooting.

UPDATE
We need info from brickers and non brickers please see

Please see here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1098363

--old post--

It has came to our attention, over the last few days that the recently leaked Gingerbread radios maybe causing a oddly large number of bricked phones.

This can affect any Thunderbolts running Gingerbread (except CM7 users), even after running fine for several days.

The cause at this point is not completely understood, and AndIRC as a whole recommends you revert back to Froyo until we understand it, or have a new leak.

When bricked, the phone is sent into an endless bootloop, no matter if you are booting into Android itself, or into the recovery. Trying to revert after the bootloop does not fix this issue.

Theories:

GB Radio causing corruption on the emmc:

Undisclosed chipset issue (Sorry no details will be coming unless verified)

GB miss reporting battery stats, aka just dead battery (Debunked by ryan2600 and I)
"Not sure if its the radio, i got a bootloop experience this morning after tethering my tablet on a freshly charged tbolt, few minutes later the phone died and stuck in a bootloop, there are times i can go to bootanimation sometimes it goes up to HTC screen and dies, I can go to HBOOT but before i can do anything the phone dies.
Good thing i have a 2 extra battery and an external charger from ebay, I swapped the battery and my phone is back to life, it seems like the GB roms are not charging the battery properly and reporting that the battery is around 80-90%" http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...read_build_or/
I'm taking a break of an undetermined length. Please don't contact me about exploits

Something important? jcase@cunninglogic.com
Like Android security topics? Join our G+ community -> https://plus.google.com/communities/...07618051049043
My Bitcoin address : 1Newifz6yETTmbziCsZZstmHHPH6ejNr75
The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to jcase For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zskate311
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Does this affect current users or just new flashers of the gb stuff?

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

swimminsurfer256
Old
(Last edited by swimminsurfer256; 25th May 2011 at 07:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
I was under the impression that a bricked phone was a phone that doesn't turn on at all... Wouldn't you be able to put the PG05IMG file on your SD card through your computer if this ever happens and then do a battery pull and boot into bootloader and revert then?

*edit* I've also had an endless bootloop on GB and flashing a new ROM after wiping data/cache/dalvik fixed it... No more reboots yet at least.. maybe it wasn't the same thing that you're talking about!

Cubs2008
Old
(Last edited by Cubs2008; 25th May 2011 at 07:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 119
Awww fiddlesticks! Well at least I get my baby back. Landscape Rosie is the girl for me.
Say hello to my little friend:

jcase
Old
Thanks Meter 6730

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimminsurfer256 View Post
I was under the impression that a bricked phone was a phone that doesn't turn on at all... Wouldn't you be able to put the PG05IMG file on your SD card through your computer if this ever happens and then do a battery pull and boot into bootloader and revert then?

*edit* I've also had an endless bootloop on GB and flashing a new ROM after wiping data/cache/dalvik fixed it... No more reboots yet at least.. maybe it wasn't the same thing that you're talking about!
The instructions are for reverting for those who are not bricked.

These bricked phones will turn on, but we can not find a way to prevent them from bootlooping nor repair them.

You cant wipe data/cache/dalvik when you are in this type of reboot loop, as recovery reboots as well.
I'm taking a break of an undetermined length. Please don't contact me about exploits

Like Android security topics? Join our G+ community -> https://plus.google.com/communities/...07618051049043

BurnOne77
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Wow this sucks, I don't really wanna go back to froyo

ZuneNinja!
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Thanks jcase and Team AndIRC! I nearly flashed the latest BAMF GB update. I'm glad that I stuck with 1.6.3

swiftbmx
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Wow, mine just started 2 mins before this thread went up. I was sitting at my desk and saw it reboot and now it won't stop. It actually loads up Android entirely, gets to Lockscreen and then restarts.

jcase
Old
Thanks Meter 6730

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zskate311 View Post
Does this affect current users or just new flashers of the gb stuff?

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App
Anyone using the GB Radios (ie everyone on GB but CM7 users)

swimminsurfer256
Old
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcase View Post
The instructions are for reverting for those who are not bricked.

These bricked phones will turn on, but we can not find a way to prevent them from bootlooping nor repair them.

You cant wipe data/cache/dalvik when you are in this type of reboot loop, as recovery reboots as well.
Ah didn't see that. Does bootloader not work?